Author Topic: Pedestal Magazine's Bizarro Issue  (Read 3116 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:24 PM
Have some weird flash fiction? Pedestal Magazine would like to see it...

*****Note: For the June 2010 issue (ALL work submitted between April 28-June 14): The Pedestal Magazine invites submissions for a special issue of Bizarro fiction to be edited by D. Harlan Wilson. Flash fiction between 250-1000 words will be considered. Loosely speaking, “Bizarro” is an umbrella term encompassing different kinds of weird, absurd, horrific, uncanny, and/or grotesque speculative fiction. Literary and experimental forms are strongly encouraged. Do not submit work that is simply weird for weird’s sake; also avoid toilet humor and boyish antics. We are looking for purposeful Bizarro that is dynamically written and thought-provoking. Payment for accepted stories will be $.08 per word. No reprints. Submission period will run from April 28-June 14. All work submitted during this period should be Bizarro-oriented per the above descriptions and will be received via the submission form provided on The Pedestal Magazine site.*****

*CougheightcentsperwordCough*

June 14th? Plenty of time!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:50:37 PM
I totally saw that, but I'm never sure if what I have is actually "bizarro" enough.  I mean, how bizarro is bizarro?  I know what surrealism is, and I know what magical realism is, but all I know about bizarro is the one-panel comic by Dan Piraro.

floatingtide

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:53:40 AM
If you think it might be bizarro, then I'd say send it.

It's the editor's job to decide what is just right. You don't need to reject stories for them. 

tiggywinkle

• Matross
  • Seize the day. Fold it and make it pop up.
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:58:44 AM
If you think it might be bizarro, then I'd say send it.

It's the editor's job to decide what is just right. You don't need to reject stories for them. 

So well said!