Author Topic: Error while posting - double clicking??  (Read 15875 times)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
on: May 25, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
I am having problems posting on the forum today. Each time I post, the system hangs for a while, then tells me there has been an error, my comment has already been posted, and I must have hit post twice. I don't think I'm double clicking, and certainly not every time.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

BTW, this is just a nuisance, since my posts are getting through. But, it is taking a lot longer than it should and the constant error message is annoying.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:40 PM
Happened to me, too.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:37:46 PM
Me too. And I can't send PMs because of it. Now Scattercat is missing out on my private witticisms. Won't someone think of the Scattercats?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:22:07 PM
It's happened to me intermittently, we're looking into it.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:02:31 AM
It doesn't seem to actually NOT post the things; just make sure you've done a ctrl-a/ctrl-c on your post before you send it on.  (And Listener; the messages went through fine.  It gave me the same bug when I replied, but I have it set to CC my Sent folder, so I was able to confirm the message went through okay.)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:31:10 PM
This is happening to me now. As of last week, every post brings back an error message even though the message posts otherwise normally.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:25:10 PM
Happens every time I post.  I just ignore it since I figured out my posts go through normally anyway.

EDIT: Okay, didn't happen that time.  I dunno.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:27:07 PM by Boggled Coriander »

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:46 PM
I restarted the server, hopefully that'll take care of the problem, but let me know if it doesn't.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:57:29 PM
Seems to still be happening to me...  :(

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:12:49 PM
Ok, restarted one more time. It's no longer happening to me. If it's still happening to someone, could they please try logging out, deleting the forums cookie, and then logging in and trying to post?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 04:37:24 PM
Ugh, just happened to me too.  This problem seems to surface and then go away on its own... I wish we could figure out exactly what is up with it.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 05:20:28 PM
Ugh, just happened to me too.  This problem seems to surface and then go away on its own... I wish we could figure out exactly what is up with it.

I blame the Illuminati.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:02 PM
It seems somehow to be related to the email problem.  I've observed that the problem surfaces at the same time the server stops sending email notifications (and, I saw from someone else mentioning it, emailed password reminders!).

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:56:32 PM
Just a reminder for anyone having problems, there is an email address for the forum moderators at eaforumadmins@gmail.com . Email us there and we should be able to solve problems.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 02:13:19 PM
Just a reminder for anyone having problems, there is an email address for the forum moderators at eaforumadmins@gmail.com . Email us there and we should be able to solve problems.

Is it helpful to do so?  I'd sort of stopped complaining about it.  It's a tiny bit annoying to get the error messages, and to not get email notifications, but it's not really interfering with my ability to read and post to threads, so I've just been trying to ignore it.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:44 PM
What Unblinking said.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:39 PM
The email is there for things like lost passwords and such, if the normal routes are broken. We're trying to get some stuff done to the forums in a fairly short order that should hopefully fix these issues, or at least mitigate them further.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:29:00 PM
Every single time I post I get the double posting thing.

Oddly enough it doesn't happen when sending private messages (I was going to use the acronym, but in the plural form it looks like something else) or when editing an existing post.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 12:21:38 AM
private messages (I was going to use the acronym, but in the plural form it looks like something else)

:D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:25 PM
We've tried some things this morning, please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 04:00:48 PM
Seems to be working for me :)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 06:57:41 PM
I think we've gotten it fixed for regular posting, but not for private messaging. We also finally managed to break through some of the cruft that had built up on the server and managed to update to the latest version of SMF, so that should probably help with other issues.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 07:46:38 PM
I just posted on another thread, and it didn't double-post.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
I just posted on another thread, and it didn't double-post.

Same here.

Still not getting email notifications, though.  I felt sure the two problems were related somehow - up to now, they've always occurred together.    :(

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 02:14:38 AM
I still regularly receive the "posted twice" message.

(in fact, I got it just now, posting this)