Author Topic: SPLICE (2010)  (Read 3677 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:37 PM
As someone who sees a lot of horror films, and so gives many of them leeway, let me say that this is a movie that I think just about anyone would be satisfied with as a creepy, disturbing, emotional night at the movies.

The plot is pretty basic - gene scientists use human DNA when told not to and make something that is kind of human, and then raise it.  The movie does a good job of being a mad-science/monster movie with a pulpy plot, without being stupid, which is pretty hard to pull off nowadays (yeah, they cut a few corners plot/logic wise, but I did say pulpy, didn't I?).  SPLICE is basically "Child of David Cronenberg's THE FLY/THE BROOD and Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE"  - not as deep as Cronenberg's films, but with some very powerful emotional resonance.  The actress playing DREN, the life form, is very, very good.  Nice to see another horror film about adult characters (although the "rock star geneticist" characterization is a bit hard for me to swallow) that has nice pacing (you never feel like "oh, here's the disposable character who'll get killed at the halfway point to prove it's a horror movie by upping the body count"), with everything mostly simmering until the mayhem of the ending.

Seriously, worth seeing - it doesn't insult your intelligence and, while I wouldn't say it's "scary", it is creepy and, at times, profoundly disturbing.<

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:11 AM
*spoilers*
Just saw it.  Pretty terrible.
Two hip young, leather-clad, macbook totin' scientists manage to not only create a new advanced predator life form completely on their without anyone else in the scientific community's help or knowledge, but they also end up making you smack your forehead over and over by making such painfully idiotic decisions over and over.  And over.  And over.
Not the worst movie of it's kind that I've ever seen.  There are 5 Species movies I guess, so that's a hard category to compete in.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:06:51 AM
Yeah, none of that bothers me too much, since their just trying for a gloss of "science" on what's essentially a pulpy story - we wouldn't be seeing this on a big screen if it was a true-to-life version of what it really takes to create a new life form and then have it go awry (probably, nowadays, we wouldn't even be seeing it on video, wouldn't get the funding, except possibly from a foreign producer).  The rock-star geneticist thing was pretty hilariously silly though!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:09:10 AM by Sgarre1 »

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:23 PM
I haven't seen it, but I may get around to watching this at some point. My one complaint is that the name "Dren" makes me think of that word as used in Farscape.

EX:
"What is this dren?"
"I'm not cleaning up that dren."
"You're full of dren."

And so forth.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:53:05 PM
*spoilers*
Two hip young, leather-clad, macbook totin' scientists manage to not only create a new advanced predator life form completely on their without anyone else in the scientific community's help or knowledge, but they also end up making you smack your forehead over and over by making such painfully idiotic decisions over and over.  And over.  And over.
Not the worst movie of it's kind that I've ever seen.  There are 5 Species movies I guess, so that's a hard category to compete in.

Wait, hang on, five?  THEY DID FIVE?!  I gave up in the second where Marge Helgenberger goes into the room where a lady has just exploded, looks around and says 'This is awful, this is JUST AWFUL' and she's not acting she's just realised WHAT FILM SHE'S IN.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:28 PM
*spoilers*

Wait, hang on, five?  THEY DID FIVE?!  I gave up in the second where Marge Helgenberger goes into the room where a lady has just exploded, looks around and says 'This is awful, this is JUST AWFUL' and she's not acting she's just realised WHAT FILM SHE'S IN.

Yeah, Species II was awful, JUST AWFUL.

I was hoping at least Michael Madsen would be his usual insane self, but even he wasn't even trying. And it doesn't help that Mykteli Williamson seemed to be playing up every stereotype to the hilt as The Token Black Man. (Forest Whitaker was, I guess, smart enough to realize he didn't need the paycheck that bad.)

Not that the first one was particularly good, but having Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina, and Whitaker along with Madsen and Helgenberger gave it - maybe not exactly class, but made it kind of fun to watch.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 02:29:54 AM
The rock-star geneticist thing was pretty hilariously silly though!

Please tell me this is some variation on the Buckaroo Banzai theme.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats