Author Topic: Unread posts since last visit not working properly?  (Read 4888 times)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
I just went through my "unread posts since last visit". It was a pretty short list.
Then I went to EP Episodes comments and noticed all these new posts that hadn't shown up on my "unread posts" list.  Some of these new posts were very recent, but some were from January, which makes me wonder if this problem has been going on for some time...

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Is it new, or long standing?
Can anything be done to fix it?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 04:30:15 PM
I just went through my "unread posts since last visit". It was a pretty short list.
Then I went to EP Episodes comments and noticed all these new posts that hadn't shown up on my "unread posts" list.  Some of these new posts were very recent, but some were from January, which makes me wonder if this problem has been going on for some time...

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
Is it new, or long standing?
Can anything be done to fix it?

It has been working ok for me, I would try logging in and out again to see if that solves the issue.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:01:33 PM
the 'recent posts' link only shows the posts that have been created since the last time you logged on but the 'new' tag will remain on a thread until you view the the thread or click one of the 'mark all threads as read' buttons.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:56 PM
The forum software is due for a serious upgrade.  I know it, you know it, it's just the details of making it happen.  We once again beg your patience!  You are all beautiful and we love you.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a case of "not posted since your last log-in" for all of them - a few had been posted scant hours before.

That said, please be assured I'm not complaining, just informing. I worked as an exploratory software tester for a while - it's in my nature to notice random bugs and report them  ;D.  Now that I have done so, I am happy to wait patiently for any improvements that come, whenever they come. Thanks and please know your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:45:53 PM
The forum software is due for a serious upgrade.  I know it, you know it, it's just the details of making it happen.  We once again beg your patience!  You are all beautiful and we love you.

Just don't switch to PHPBB -- its unread posts listing isn't nearly as good as SM's.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42