Author Topic: Prizes for the Flash contest?  (Read 4600 times)

Yargling

• Peltast
on: June 20, 2010, 02:52:40 PM
I have to ask, what where the prizes for the flash contest? I was gonna submit one, but this line in the rules made me pause:

Winners will be announced here, on the blog, and on the podcast, and the authors will receive contracts and prizes as described.

Contracts? For what? I thought it was just a cash prize and the non-physical prize of getting to be on Escape Pod...?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:02 PM
When one is published, there is a contract between you and the publisher describing the exact rights you're selling and setting terms and limits.  (Because stories are not like pizzas; once you use them once, they're still there and other people can read them or other venues can publish them.)

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:27:56 PM
I have to ask, what where the prizes for the flash contest? I was gonna submit one, but this line in the rules made me pause:

• 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive a contract and audio produced version of their story aired on the respective podcast for the current flash story rate.  Additionally, 2nd & 3rd place will receive: one free EA t-shirt of your choice, and a voice mail greeting recorded by the host of the podcast whose contest you won. 1st place will receive all of that plus a complete set of archive discs from your choice of one of our podcasts.

Whether Scattercat chooses to wear his t-shirt in one of our super secret wet t-shirt contests is another matter entirely.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:17:48 PM
When one is published, there is a contract between you and the publisher describing the exact rights you're selling and setting terms and limits.  (Because stories are not like pizzas; once you use them once, they're still there and other people can read them or other venues can publish them.)
Ah, thanks.
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive a contract and audio produced version of their story aired on the respective podcast for the current flash story rate.  Additionally, 2nd & 3rd place will receive: one free EA t-shirt of your choice, and a voice mail greeting recorded by the host of the podcast whose contest you won. 1st place will receive all of that plus a complete set of archive discs from your choice of one of our podcasts.

Whether Scattercat chooses to wear his t-shirt in one of our super secret wet t-shirt contests is another matter entirely.

Ah... now I feel dumb for missing that.

Anywho, sent my entry off, unlikely to win, but you never know, heh.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:51:03 PM

Technically, pizzas can be reused if the end product after digestion is turned into some sort of fertilizer, and some sort of vegetable garden is grown with said fertilizer, and the vegetables are put on the pizza.

Infinite pizza. I'm just saying.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:23:21 PM

Technically, pizzas can be reused if the end product after digestion is turned into some sort of fertilizer, and some sort of vegetable garden is grown with said fertilizer, and the vegetables are put on the pizza.

Well, technically, entropy will eventually win against Pizza.... assuming our current understanding of physics is reasonably close.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:10:16 PM

Okay, I want to hear more about that...   :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:46:46 AM by CryptoMe »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:19:04 AM
No, you don't.  My wife has larger breasts, but it's a close-fought battle.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:00:36 PM

Well, technically, entropy will eventually win against Pizza.... assuming our current understanding of physics is reasonably close.
Not if the pizza is... "supreme"...
(Sorry.)