Author Topic: EP255: Variations on a Theme  (Read 19255 times)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
Asexual reproduction isn't fantasy; it's science fission.

:D

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 02:55:32 AM

*groan*

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 05:43:29 PM
This one was just okay, but it was just too similar to too many stories I've already read and seen, including the Bodysnatchers stories mentioned in the story itself, and extending to others like The Stepford Wives and The Faculty.  I love the concept, but since I've seen it so many times, it's gotta take me somewhere new.

The biggest problem is that there seemed to be no reason why this random high school biology teacher was the sole expert on the subject.  Is he really the most knowledgeable biology scholar on the planet?  Why not talk to someone doing cutting edge biology research?  When he makes up a fake miracle-drug name, why wouldn't they talk to any other biology teacher and ask "what is ____" and the other biology would say "Uh, no, that doesn't exist."  And since they're earth weeds, who's to say that earth weedkiller will kill them?  Maybe it'll make them turn into plant versions of The Incredible Hulk.

And the fact that he just sat and watched idly as all of his students were taken while he just sat around and watched.  That's cold, man.  I'm assuming that the hosts were killed by the poison as well--if that's the case, then he should at least feel a touch of remorse for all of his students' deaths.  If it's not the case, well, the story could've said so.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 06:03:48 PM

I'm divided on this. Should the topic be split off?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:03 PM

I'm divided on this. Should the topic be split off?

Ahahahaha!

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

knigget

• Matross
  • Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
    • apoGrypha
Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:50 PM
Another budding joker...

http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com

What would have been written. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 01:41:37 PM
By the way, anyone figure out what the title's supposed to me?  Every time I see the title I have to look up a blurb to remember which story it was because they are so disconnected from each other (which makes the story harder to remember).

eytanz

Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 02:43:26 PM
By the way, anyone figure out what the title's supposed to me?  Every time I see the title I have to look up a blurb to remember which story it was because they are so disconnected from each other (which makes the story harder to remember).

I think it has something to do with the fact that what the plant-things were after is genetic variability. But I agree that the title seems badly matched to the story.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 07:10:05 AM
Okay, this is driving me a little bit crazy.  Where have I heard this story before?  Pretty sure it was run on one of the spec-fic podcasts - maybe Starship Sofa?  But it's not listed among the free audio fiction on the author's website.

I know I've heard it before though!

As far as I know this is its first audio appearance. If it was done elsewhere, it was without my permission so if you do remember, I'd love to know.

The only place the story has appeared was in Wrongworld, which went dark last year.

Oh my god, I'm an idiot! 

Fear not, your story hasn't been done in audio before, but I have read it - and not in Wrongworld either.  It was in my first batch of slushpile stories - I gave it the thumbs up to be passed along to Mur.  This is the first time I've had one of the stories from my corner of the slushpile get produced.  Thus the odd sense of deja vu I got...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 01:48:50 PM
Oh my god, I'm an idiot! 

Fear not, your story hasn't been done in audio before, but I have read it - and not in Wrongworld either.  It was in my first batch of slushpile stories - I gave it the thumbs up to be passed along to Mur.  This is the first time I've had one of the stories from my corner of the slushpile get produced.  Thus the odd sense of deja vu I got...

Ha, I like it.  :)

rowshack

• Extern
Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 01:48:04 AM
good but felt stretched.

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:31 AM
Oh my god, I'm an idiot! 

I run into this all the time, between reading Realms of Fantasy, lots of old anthologies, and listening to several fiction casts, every tenth EP/PC ep or so I am absolutely certain it's a repeat- until I realize, nope, I heard/read it somewhere else.

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

luka datas

Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 12:36:08 PM
excellent balance of comedy and obscure techno jargon. brought a smile onto my dial.