Author Topic: Religeous conservatives like sci fi and fantasy too  (Read 28204 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:49 PM
I work to a strict model: Pimp first, pay later.  (*You* pimp first, *I* pay later...just in case you were wondering.)

If I'm gonna pimp, I want to know the pay schedule first.

Lostsocks

• Extern
    • Lost Socks Insanity
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 11:53:01 PM
I think the sad truth is, it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between conservative and liberals!

This from a hardcore atheist conservative

Sometimes you just have to drop your pants and slide on the ice.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:36 AM
I think the sad truth is, it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between conservative and liberals!

This from a hardcore atheist conservative

Well, sort of.  I don't think anyone is completely conservative or completly liberal.  Just look at almost everyone who has posted on this thread.  Conservative, but has a great appreciation for tech and I am sure some are liberal in more technolegy based issues.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 02:23:54 PM
I don't think the conservative/liberal paradigm is adequate to describe most things.  The continuum needs more than one axis.

What do you call someone who is a sold-out Christian who leans toward anarchism, deplores all censorship, is happy to see mixed-race marriages, believes in heterosexual monogamy, listens to rap and thinks it's a good idea to study Evolution?  Is there for a place for that on a linear, 1 to 10 scale?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:33:32 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 04:11:09 PM
The Pew Research Center agrees with you, Mr. Tweedy. They divided the population into nine sections. Take this quiz to find out what section you belong in:

http://typology.people-press.org/typology/

All tests of this type are imperfect, but can be interesting and even useful to a degree. In order to be truly accurate, you would need hundreds of sections to divide the population into.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 04:24:23 PM
It says I'm an "Enterpriser."  Yeah.  I'm an Enterpriser.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 07:32:39 PM
That's the same result it gave me. One flaw in the test is it seems to assume religious/conservative = pro-war. That is not necessarily the case.

Lostsocks

• Extern
    • Lost Socks Insanity
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 10:43:54 PM
I got Enterpriser also

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:27 PM
Lostsocks - You say you are strongly atheist/conservative. I'm guessing you generally vote Libertarian?

Lostsocks

• Extern
    • Lost Socks Insanity
Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:14 PM
Well, to be completely honest, I have noticed I don't really follow any party line anymore. But the increasing fundamentalist Christian creeping even into liberal politicians disturbs me and is shaping my voting habits,

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #60 on: August 20, 2007, 11:32:42 PM
fundamentalist Christian creeping even into liberal politicians disturbs me and is shaping my voting habits,

Remember it's a campaign year...those liberal politians probably aren't as fundamentalist as they would have you believe.

Anyway, back on topic, how does being a religious person or a conservative effect your reading choices?  Or does it?  How about if you are non-religious or liberal?  Do you tend to see a book/story differently because of your world view?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Lostsocks

• Extern
    • Lost Socks Insanity
Reply #61 on: August 21, 2007, 12:32:30 AM
I don't really can't say if my religious or political views effect my reading choices. My choices are erratic  and I have no clue as to a cause or reason!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #62 on: August 21, 2007, 01:24:07 AM
... how does being a religious person or a conservative effect your reading choices?  Or does it?  How about if you are non-religious or liberal?  Do you tend to see a book/story differently because of your world view?

I think it changes how much I "buy into" a story.  For example, if the crux of a story involved a fully functional communist or state run nation I wouldn't buy it.  I keep going back to it, but that was one of my big hang ups with ST:TNG.  Nobody got paid in that show!  I mean, replicators can't be cheap to operate.  They must use huge amounts of energy, and some kid could be making all the Legos he wanted when they need that energy to go to warp to get away from .... whatever.  You get the point.  I don't think Utopian societies work long term, so I don't buy into stories that need them to further the plot.  I suppose that's more of a political belief than religious though.  Religion doesn't really factor into Sci-Fi.  It's Science Fiction, not Jesus Fiction.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #63 on: August 21, 2007, 11:46:17 PM
Enterpriser.  Someone needs to make a thread with this quiz.

Zathras

Reply #64 on: August 22, 2007, 07:53:48 PM
Upbeat.  Even though I was negative on religious questions.  I was pro-business and military, though.  Interesting quiz.