Author Topic: EP Soundproof 3: January 2011  (Read 4524 times)

eytanz

on: January 02, 2011, 06:51:18 AM
Cover Letter (by Bill Peters, Assistant Editor)

Mur kindly introduced me in the last issue of Soundproof, but for anyone who missed that, hi. I’m Escape Pod’s Assistant Editor, and I’m most publicly known for doing the feedback segments in the podcast. I also oversee our teem of slush readers and end up sending out a lot of our rejections, and of course I lay out Soundproof. And other things, as necessary.

So in this beginning of a new year, I’m instead going to take you back a few days to the death of the last machine on earth that could turn a roll of Kodachrome from an opaque deep red film stock into color etched rectangles of plastic. Most of us have moved onto digital, which, let’s be fair, is significantly more user friendly and easier to control. Cheaper, too.

But it says something about Kodachrome — the first successful color film — that it took 75 years to be phased out of production. Sure, it had dwindled in years past, and films meant for paper prints rather than to be projected got rapidly popular, and it was a finicky, and slow, film to shoot.

Getting it developed in the last decade or so meant sending it to one place in Kansas and always worrying that the machine would break or Kodak would stop making the developing chemistry. While it’s trivial to develop black and white film at home, and not too horrible to do most modern color films, Kodachrome’s process would confound most any man.

But it was pretty. Someone wrote a bit too saccharine song about it. And it picked up the light in a bit different way than everything after it.

So this month we’re bringing you three stories in this pixelated form: Élan Vital by K. Tempest Bradford, Dead’s End to Middleton by Natania Barron, and God of the Lower Level by Charles M. Saplak.

They’re quite good.

Contents

• EP269: Élan Vital By K. Tempest Bradford
  • Book Review: For The Win Review by Josh Roseman
  • EP271: God Of The Lower Level By Charles M. Saplak
  • Sauropod Dinosaurs had weird feet By Sarah Frost
  • EP273: Dead’s End to Middleton By Natania Barron
  • Superhero Fiction: The Next Big Thing? by Adam Christopher

Downloads

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:42:45 PM by eytanz »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:29:32 PM
Note for anyone reading just this on the forums and unaware of who Escape Pod's Assistant Editor is. I am Escape Pod's Assistant Editor, and wrote this month's letter. A couple of shots from the relatively few rolls of Kodachrome I shot can be found here.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:35 PM
Yeah, it's an unfortunate problem with my copying the cover letter verbatim that it ends up looking like I wrote it. I'll add a section title to address that.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:23:40 AM
Yeah, it's an unfortunate problem with my copying the cover letter verbatim that it ends up looking like I wrote it. I'll add a section title to address that.

Honestly I probably should have made it more explicit than it was in the blog post.  We should probably modify the theme a bit to make the author of any given post more easily identified.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:32 AM
Admittedly when I read the thread I thought you were both the same person... or more science fictiony, two personalities sharing one body! (cue Twilight Zone music).

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:35 AM
Admittedly when I read the thread I thought you were both the same person... or more science fictiony, two personalities sharing one body! (cue Twilight Zone music).

All the forum moderators are Bill's alts.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:23 AM

All the forum moderators are Bill's alts.

I don't know why I let myself write that.

icegirl

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:27:20 AM
Note for anyone reading just this on the forums and unaware of who Escape Pod's Assistant Editor is. I am Escape Pod's Assistant Editor, and wrote this month's letter. A couple of shots from the relatively few rolls of Kodachrome I shot can be found here.

I would urge anyone that hasn't done so already to go check out the shots - they are wonderful examples of the powerful colour and light that Kodachrome was capable of in the right hands. Cudos.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:07:36 PM
I would urge anyone that hasn't done so already to go check out the shots - they are wonderful examples of the powerful colour and light that Kodachrome was capable of in the right hands. Cudos.

Seconded :)