Author Topic: PC118: Sugar  (Read 18148 times)

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:36 PM
I found this one to be quite boring, honestly.  The main characters remind of me over-privileged dilettantes complaining about "Oh you just can't find good help these days".  Who cares?  I was honestly hoping for a golem/slave insurrection a-la Haiti, so I could see them die a gruesome death: hacked to death by cane machetes in bed or something.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 07:58:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about this one. Stories set in plantations always make me cringe, but this had some beautiful writing in it. And I think I was a little put off by the way Swirsky read it, which is odd because I love her narration.

I don't know. I'll have to go back and read it on the FM site.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 12:38:01 AM

The reading was... mostly okay, except when she got excited and loud and read faster, breaking her pace. Also, she redlined several times, especially in the beginning, and I could hear the waveform topping out. However, given that she seems to have obtained new equipment, I'll give it a pass this time. I just didn't think there was a need to quicken the pace in the places she did.

It's funny that I said this about pacing. I just laid down the raw track for a reading for Starship Sofa, and I did almost the exact same thing. But the story is a comedy, which Sugar definitely was not. Maybe that's the difference. But it's sometimes hard to avoid doing it, as I've learned.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:42 AM
I enjoyed this one enough to leave it on my iPod and listen to it again a few weeks later.  I enjoyed it just as much the second time.  This is the highest rating on my scale. 

The world-building was a nice counterpoint to the touching personal drama.  I, too, want more fantasy fiction like this.

In regard to the comments about the reading, I believe the reader's change in reading style was meant to indicate a switch to the point of view of the more boisterous pirate, while the more somber reading was for the melancholy sorceress.