Author Topic: Exclusive Stories for Forumites (or "The I <3 Escape Artists Thread!")  (Read 108681 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Hey all! Tuesday, I posted this on my LJ, but am reposting for everyone here, albeit with some slight modifications. I go into more details on my blog if you want to read there; I will try and be relatively brief here.

Essentially, I unofficially declared the next month (through the end of September) "I <3 Escape Artists Month" in an effort to get more people to join the forums and comment on stories they like. If they did that, I'd write, record, and email them a brand new story in time for Halloween - sometime in October, and will ONLY be available for forumites.

Which means YOU.

Since I came up with the idea - Mur, Alasdair, and Samantha Henderson volunteered to help out and write brand new stories for you, too. As a result, it's kind of turning into a mini-anthology for all you forumites.

ETA: And now - here's the final list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, Ann Leckie, Erin Cashier, Rachel Swirsky, David Steffen, and D.K. Thompson.

If you're a poster on these forums, you can get these stories. You just have to ask for them :)

Originally, I asked people to PM me. But now since we've got this thread and there are now more people involved, you can just go ahead and just comment here.

ETA: You have to let me know by October 8th if you want the stories, though.

New Posters - please find a story or narration you enjoy, comment in that thread first, and *then* come back here. Forumites who have already commented on stories, just post away here.

Do that, and we'll send you (at least) four FOURTEEN exclusive stories you can't get anywhere else. We'll send them out sometime in October.

Sound good? Any questions? Let me know!

-Dave
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:38:48 PM by DKT »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Do I qualify yet?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Spiffy idea. I would love to read the resulting stories. :)

eytanz

Cool idea!

I think I may have commented on a story or two, and I think everyone I know that may be interested in joining the forums already did so. But if there's another way I can help out, let me know.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I may have commented on a story or three.  Gimme gimme!  ;)

If you're looking for ways to entice forumites in, there's always the flash contest stories to peruse as well.  The winners will be on the podcast, but there are a lot of damned good stories that didn't make the top 3--even if someone just read the finalists for each contest, that's another couple dozen stories that the general consensus has labeled as being very good.

And even for those top 3, if someone joins now they get to read the story before it's on the 'cast.  :D

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
As I write this, I have the lowest post count of all responders to this thread so far, but I'm working hard on catching up.  Plus I hope I'm providing quality, if not quantity.   ;)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Don't worry Wilson, I've posted a lot less than you. I'm willing to be the token Matross here. I can't ever hope to top the guys who posted here already as far as pithy commentary goes but, I wants free story, please.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
As I write this, I have the lowest post count of all responders to this thread so far, but I'm working hard on catching up.  Plus I hope I'm providing quality, if not quantity.   ;)

Sir, are you suggesting I am quantity, not quality?

I'll get you, FOWLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm willing to be the token Matross here. I can't ever hope to top the guys who posted here already as far as pithy commentary goes but, I wants free story, please.

And so you shall!

Seriously, it doesn't matter if you have 3,000 posts or if you have 2. All you gotta do is register, comment, and comment again :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Oooh Oooh!

*raises paw*

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers

Sir, are you suggesting I am quantity, not quality?

I'll get you, FOWLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

... no.  Just that I am not quantity, so hopefully quality.  It was all about me.

If you get me, let me know; most people don't.  :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Terri-Lynne

• Extern
I just listened to Mermaid Tea Party. I'll comment over there, but here, I'm going to SO RAG ON YOU FOR SINGING THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN SONG!!! I laughed out loud. You are too fabulous for words.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
So, it's not enough to just be a forum member, you also have to also specifically ask for the extra stories?

Okay then, I'm asking.
Can't wait!!
And Thanks!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
So... I know I'm kinda new to the forums, and I haven't posted much yet, but I'd really love some stories!  I hope you can find it in your heart to make an exception!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Ooo, Halloween stories!  Yes please! 

I'm an infrequent poster (workin' on that...) but avid reader.  Thank you!

Alea Iacta Est!

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Gimme, or I'll unleash the wrath of Sean Connery on you:

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life

...oh wait, isn't this the image association thread?  Sorry, got lost.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers

Ack! Eyes... burning... !

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Thank you, sir.  May I have another?

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog

There is a sitcom over here called Phoenix Nights, set in and around a working men's club in the North of England.  It ran for two seasons, it was deeply, deeply brilliant and at least part of that was down to the Rosencrantz and Guildensternian doormen, Max and Paddy.  I mention them because in the first episode, there's a running gag where it keeps cutting back to them discussing whether or not it's true that a Sean Connery movie where he's got a wig tends to be crap.  Hence:

'Highlander.'
'Wig.'
'Highlander II: The Quickening.'
'Wig.'

Later..

'Hunt for Red October.'
'Wig.'
'The Russia House.'
'No wig'

Later still...

'...That odd one where he got his cock out.'
'Zardoz?'
'That's the one.'
'Wig.'

It loses something in the transcription but still:)

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I

Ack! Eyes... burning... !

Mmm, my work here is done...

...until I mention the burning that's Sir Sean's undoubtedly experiencing in his bikini region...

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Ooh, I'm happy I saw this thread, as September's going to be an offbeat and busy month for me and I don't know how much time I'll have online.  Stories?  I like stories.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Updated the list to reflect the current list of contributors (pasted below for your convenience):

ETA: Here's the current list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, D.K. Thompson, and more.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Yay, thread!

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Yay, thread!

Obviously, you aren't from Pern. ;)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Updated the list to reflect the current list of contributors (pasted below for your convenience):

ETA: Here's the current list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, D.K. Thompson, and more.

Holy cow! (no offense to Gamercow)  The list has grown.  I know I've talked to you outside this thread, but just in case that doesn't count, I want in!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast