Author Topic: PC124: Squonk And The Horde Of Apprentices  (Read 40091 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: September 28, 2010, 01:40:54 PM
PodCastle 124: Squonk And The Horde Of Apprentices

by P.M. Butler

Read by Wilson Fowlie

A PodCastle Original!

Most dragons learn to love fire as soon as they come out of their eggs, when their parents celebrate their birth by spitting great gouts of flame into the sky; dragons often use fire to express joy.  Or anger. Or surprise.  Or boredom.  Or the fact that they’re still breathing. Dragons really like fire.

But Squonk didn’t even know he could breathe fire.  That’s because his adoptive mother, a little blue bird named Mrs. Tweedle-Chirp, didn’t know he could breathe fire, either–and even if she did, she certainly would have forbid him from ever doing it.  Like most forest creatures, Mrs. Tweedle-Chirp didn’t like fire one little bit.

But her not-so-little boy was, indeed, a dragon.  And while there are some things you can teach out of a dragon….

Rated G: Contains Dragons, Wizards, School, and Fire (which is Awesome)

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:01 PM
SQUONK!    ;D  YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!   *muppetflail*

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:10:09 PM
  It was nice to hear a Squonk story again after so long. While I was a little dissapointed (but not at all surprised) that the Eleys were not reading it, I think Wilson did a fantastic job bringing the story to life, although he did nothing to remove the mental image of Squidward as Wendel, but I think that is just the character and not the reader.

As for my first Escape Artists story: I am pretty sure it was Escape Pod 132: "Sparks in a Cold War". I was looking for something to listen to while playing "Guild Wars", and when I was in high school I would listen to audiobooks while playing video games, so it seemed like a good idea to see what podcasts had to offer.
  It was Escape pod that started my wife and I listening to podcasts while commuting as well; we almost never listen to the radio anymore.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:46 PM
As usual, Squonk is fluffy but entertaining.  I do wonder how well something like this would hold up if one hadn't read the previous stories, for all the effort made to refer to previous events coherently.

My first Escape Artists story was "The Inevitability of Earth," over at Pseudopod #144.  I loved the subtlety of the horror and the skillful symbolism, and I pretty quickly tore through the archives in reverse.  Then I started at the beginning with PodCastle, and lastly worked through Escape Pod itself (sci-fi always being my least favorite genre.)  Given Pseudopod's variety and tendency to explore all the possible places horror can go, I always think it was fairly lucky I hit it when I did and got interested.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:49 PM
I can't remember my first escape artist story but I remember going back and downloading all the old ones I could find. And I did listen to them and enjoy them. There was no podcastle or pseudopod when I started.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:08 PM
My first Escape Pod story was episode 105: "Impossible Dreams" by Tim Pratt.  A friend of mine recommended the story to me, and knew that I'd recently started listening to audiobooks on my commute (my carpool partner moved and I hadn't been able to find another - still haven't), so recommended that I download it from EP.  This was before I'd heard of podcasts, so I was grateful that Steve had put up a 'What is a podcast?' page to explain the idea.

After picking up a few back episodes to see if I liked what Escape Pod had to offer, I started downloading the stories regularly (I was still quite a podcast newbie and hadn't discovered podcatching software yet).  When episode 109: "Squonk the Apprentice" came out, I decided I didn't want to listen to a sequel before the original, so I went back and downloaded episode 70: "Squonk the Dragon".  I loved them, to the point of making my family listen to them on a day trip we took somewhere.  My daughter liked them so much, I burnt them onto a CD for her (this was before we got her an MP3 player of her own).

Normally, I don't like to talk about my readings in this forum - it seems at least a touch crass - but I have a couple of thanks that I want to make public.  First, thanks to Dave and Anna for picking me to do it; it's an honour I didn't take lightly.  I'm grateful for every story that I get to narrate, but these stories are special to me because of the connection to my family.

Second, thanks to my family for vetting this recording, particularly my daughter: she (because she has listened to the originals far more often than I have) was my quality control department.  :D

the mental image of Squidward as Wendel

??

(I know who Squidward is; that's not the source of my confusion...)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:03:38 PM

the mental image of Squidward as Wendel

??

(I know who Squidward is; that's not the source of my confusion...)

It's not the reading or the voice, I have always seen Wendel as Squidward. I think it's just his personality; he seems like a gruff and uncaring person, but beneath that is a nice person who just wants a little peace, quiet, and organization in his life... and beneath that is a somewhat petty person who just wants to prove he can do anything better than someone else can.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

telimain3333

• Extern
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:34 AM
this is one of my Favorite stories in a long time
and now i've had to go to and to look up the old ones

i find that i like the kids stories the best
the more adult stories never have the feeling of wimsy

as for my 1st story at  escape pod it was episode 219: sleepy joe

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 04:05:18 AM
SQUONK!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEE! :) (So what if Gamercow beat me to the response?)

Love me some Squonk. The reader did a good job, but I think I detected him imitating Steve Eley a time or two on Wendel's lines. :)

As for first episodes, when I start listening to a new podcast, I start at the beginning.

So my first episode of Escape Pod would have been episode 1, but not "live." Took me a good while to catch up, too. That whole 'going back to the beginning' thing can get tedious if I start listening to a podcast with several hundred episodes. Like The Geologic Podcast, which is the most recent one I started from the beginning. I'm almost up to May of 2009. :)

Keep the Squonk a-comin'! We could all use a dose of pure fun and joy on our commutes.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Ed Woychowsky

• Extern
  • Mad scientist/web developer/author
    • TechRepublic
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:30:05 PM
This had the feel of a children's story and I LIKED it.  :D

What does that say about me?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:40:22 PM
I've only listened to the intro so far, but I thought I'd respond to the question in the intro.

My first Escape Artists story was Pseudopod #153:  The Hay Devils, by Colin P. Davies, read by Jaron Cohen.

I had just signed the contract for my very first fiction sale ever, to Pseudopod, and that one couldn't have come at a better time--The seemingly infinite stack of rejection slips was really starting to wear on me, and that email from Ben Phillips saying that he liked the story, making one small and reasonable editorial suggestion, was nothing short of amazing.

So then, since I'd never heard an episode before, I figured "Hm, I should probably find out what kind of things Pseudopod produces and what authors they've published, so I download the whole story archive and put it on my iPod.  I started with that one because it was the most recent at the time.

Now, audio fiction was very new to me.  I actually had only the vaguest idea what "podcast" meant (I still think it's a bad name, but that's a rant for another day).  But I had listened to my dad reminisce many a time about the old radio drama serials that he used to listen to. I'd always thought they sounded pretty awesome, and thought it was a damned shame that they had died out.  So I was very excited to learn that they haven't died out, they've just evolved into new distribution formats!  Alasdair's smooth tones and interesting discussions multiplied the coolness by a factor of 10.

And thus my mad run of threadomancy began!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:11:04 PM
I have to confess, and this may render me forever an outcast in the minds of all fellow forumites, that I didn't really dig the first two Squonk stories. Not because they were bad stories, mind you, just that children's stories don't do it for me generally. I did like this one much better, as a good deal of the humor was of the sort that managed to be appealing for both adults and kids - the sort of humor they work into movies like 'Toy Story' so they appeal to the adults too. I appreciated that and was entertained.

As for my first EA story, I'm not entirely sure. I know it was  Pseudopod - I needed something to listen to on my IPod while i was out running, and I decided to look up these "podcasts" I'd been hearing about, and Pseudopod was on the top of some list I googled up. (I was later thrilled to learn about its sister podcast EscapePod, as sci fi/fantasy is much more my cup of champagne than horror).

Now the first one i very clearly remember listening to was "Returning My Sister’s Face," (episode 4) which as it turns out is a Eugie Foster story. I kind of have this thing about listening to things in order, so its possible I started back at episode 1, 'Bag Man' by Scott Sigler.  (reading the quote from it, it sounds very familiar...).

kristofor.wilson

• Extern
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:57 PM
I liked the story well enough, but I have to admit I didn't really like the voice the mother bird was portrayed with, if only because it was pretty annoying.  Maybe that was the point though =).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 03:30:07 PM

I'd say it means you're in good company  ;D

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:17 PM
That whole 'going back to the beginning' thing can get tedious if I start listening to a podcast with several hundred episodes. Like The Geologic Podcast, which is the most recent one I started from the beginning. I'm almost up to May of 2009. :)

I'm doing that with The Brain Science Podcast.  It doesn't even have hundreds of episodes - the one posted this month is #70 - but it's pretty dense material (in a different way, I imagine, from The Geologic Podcast :D), but it's taken me over a year to get almost to the end of 2008...

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 06:02:44 PM
That whole 'going back to the beginning' thing can get tedious if I start listening to a podcast with several hundred episodes. Like The Geologic Podcast, which is the most recent one I started from the beginning. I'm almost up to May of 2009. :)

I'm doing that with The Brain Science Podcast.  It doesn't even have hundreds of episodes - the one posted this month is #70 - but it's pretty dense material (in a different way, I imagine, from The Geologic Podcast :D), but it's taken me over a year to get almost to the end of 2008...

The way I've done it (with the 5 podcasts I've listened to backlogs of).  I start with the most recent episode and work my way back about 10 episodes or so, so I can get up to speed on what they're up to recently.  Then I start back at #1 and go sequentially, but swapping in the newest episodes as they come out.

I kind of like it that way, because as you're listening to the origins you already know where the podcast has reached today.  This is especially true for Starship Sofa, which I've been listening through for many a month.  As I'm listening through their first year's fiction offerings, in the current episodes they have been talking about the Hugo award they just won.  :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 06:17:40 PM

OMG neuroscience podcast!  DO WANT!

Thank you SO much!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:04 PM
Hehe. When I first started listing to Escape Pod (in the pre-Podcastle era), I determined I needed to listen to the ENTIRE backlog before I could listen to the newer ones. Because.

I tried gamely to catch up so I could participate in the discussions on the forum boards but  after several months of determined efforts, with new EP episodes accumulating weekly, I had to throw in my hat and skip forward to the newer episodes.

Somewhere in the middle of the EP archives is several months (maybe as much as a year's) worth of stories I've never heard, but I couldn't tell you exactly where that begins or ends. :p I have abandoned similar efforts with Drabblecast, and never even started with SSS. :p

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:40:23 PM
Hehe. When I first started listing to Escape Pod (in the pre-Podcastle era), I determined I needed to listen to the ENTIRE backlog before I could listen to the newer ones. Because.

I tried gamely to catch up so I could participate in the discussions on the forum boards but  after several months of determined efforts, with new EP episodes accumulating weekly, I had to throw in my hat and skip forward to the newer episodes.

Somewhere in the middle of the EP archives is several months (maybe as much as a year's) worth of stories I've never heard, but I couldn't tell you exactly where that begins or ends. :p I have abandoned similar efforts with Drabblecast, and never even started with SSS. :p

I'll admit that I'm in much the same situation. Podcastle I've heard all of, because, well, I was here when Podcastle started, and if PC gave out employee numbers I'm probably #3 behind Ann. But there are definitely some EP episodes out there that I haven't listened to, either because they came out when I was going through an acutely busy phase and never got back to them, or because I still haven't managed to go through all the 75-odd episodes that were out before I started subscribing.

In terms of the first one for me, I'm fairly certain it was EP079: Mountain, Man, because I can remember that one, but it was definitely somewhere in the late 70s/early 80s. And a few short months later the Forums came about in the current incarnation, and lo, did we begin the tumult of a birthing flash contest and the early childhood injuries of the First Great Flamewar Period.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 06:49:32 PM
I have no clear recollection of my first story. It was some time last summer, during my six weeks of teacher boot camp, and my memories of that period are... spotty, at best. I'm pretty sure it was poscastle, though.

As to this story... I didn't much get drawn in. It was a little too cutesy for me. I would have loved it at six - I'll probably go through the feed and play it for my kids when they exist, and are six - but it didn't quite do it for me. Some whimsical kids stories can pull that off - The Goats are Going Places, for example - and some can't. This one didn't. I don't know exactly why, but there you have it.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 07:52:58 PM
It was nice to revisit Squonk, but I don't think this added all that much.  I kept expecting Squonk to really cause some trouble with fire - but nothing really happened in the story.  Wendel went from reluctantly teaching animals wizardry to actually wanting to - the end.

The second Squonk story was in the first dozen Escape Artists episodes I listened to.  I started on EP97 Cinderella Suicide, which didn't do a whole lot for me, but I kept listening to the next half dozen or so episodes that were on the feed.  These included Nightfall and Impossible Dreams.  Totally hooked at that point.  Then came the second Squonk.  Which inspired me to go through the "Classic" feed and getting the older episodes, so I was listening to 2-4 EP stories a week.  When I caught up I started on Pseudopod - though half the episodes don't get more than five minutes from me.  I awaited the promised Podcastle with baited breath...

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 08:16:45 PM
I was deeply amused with Squonk's story here.  I enjoy how the Wizard parted the wheat from the chaff, and the answers given for why each wanted to learn magic.  What I think I liked most about this story was that it made me think back to RPG sessions I've head with an old group of gamers.  It took me back to when the dragon we were negotiating not being killed by said, "The Mage comes with his own gold?! I MUST have him!"

Failure is an event, not a person.

Loof

• Extern
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 11:03:10 PM
I really enjoyed this. While it wasn't Epic and highbrow, it was a lot of fun, and just what I needed.

My first story was Barrens Dance, which I absolutely loved.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 12:28:47 AM
My first Escape Artists story was The 43 Antarean Dynasties.

It was pretty much the first podcast of any kind I listened to, with the possible exception of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe. And I now have a backlog of 218 podcasts on my player. Curse my anal need to always start at the beginning...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:06 AM
Oh, the other point I wanted to make is this: When will we see the collected Squonk in picture-book format for bedtime reading?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 01:31:37 AM
I have been sending this, and all the Squonk stories to everyone I know with children under 10.  Wonderful writing, and wonderful reading by WilsonFowlie.  While I enjoyed Steve's reading, and his voices for Squonk and the other characters, Anna Eley's voice was extremely grating on me. 

The story itself was more excellent Squonkness, and was full of excellent descriptions, and had about a dozen moments that made me go "BWAH!" in in laughter in my car on the way home.  The one that got me the most was Wendell putting his mouth in his pocket and having a fit.  I could picture it perfectly.  :D

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Maestro-Orpheus

• Extern
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 02:55:19 AM
just listened to "Squonk" and I agree, it wasn't quite the same without the Eleys reading.... but it is great to hear another Squonk story. Hope to hear many more in the future!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:36 AM
My first Escape Artists story was The 43 Antarean Dynasties.

It was pretty much the first podcast of any kind I listened to, with the possible exception of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe. And I now have a backlog of 218 podcasts on my player. Curse my anal need to always start at the beginning...

I think I started with the same story; it was current when I picked up on Escape Pod. And it was also the first podcast for me.

I have a huge backlog of four or five skeptical theme podcasts; I listen to the current ones as the come out while I work through the backlogs at the same time (when I run out of current episodes for the week.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 05:28:10 AM
I would like to take a moment to thank the author for using the correct "horde" in the title, btw.  That one drives me absolutely bonkers.

magnusnorthlander

• Extern
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:00 AM
This one was a good one to listen to while waiting in the emergency room yesterday light, fluffy and wholesome. I was glad to see the storyline continued from escapepod. as to which was the first episode I cannot remember although there has very rarely been one I disliked keep doing the good work.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 01:34:27 PM
I would like to take a moment to thank the author for using the correct "horde" in the title, btw.  That one drives me absolutely bonkers.

Explain?  I didn't realize there was an incorrect horde.  (I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know what mis-usage you're referring to)

montsamu

• Extern
Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:08 PM
Absolutely loved this lovely story, wonderfully read. Now I'm very much looking forward to the EscapePod episodes (70 and 109).

edit: on the "first story" thing, I am pretty sure it was "Carnival Park" by Greg Van Eekhout.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40:25 PM
Mostly, I liked the owls.  :)  Was the rolling "r" of Horrrrrrrrrrrrribly written into the manuscript or was that Wilson's embellishment?  (Either way, I liked it).  Almost every one of the owl's descriptions and lines were funny.  My particular favorite was the owl who "specializes in everything".    That's awesome!  It reminds me that at work it seems like a constant battle to get our customers to prioritize their demands, because their tendency is to class EVERYTHING as the highest priority.  I wonder if we could hire that owl?  It seems like someone who specializes in everything would be particularly suiting to working in a system where everything is the highest priority.   :D

Anyway, I still like the first Squonk best because then the concept was novel.  The 2nd one was okay.  I'm very picky about sequels (which is probably why I've never yet written one).  If it doesn't add something significant to the universe, I tend to wish I could've just had a new story in a new world instead.  The 2nd one fell into that category, but the owls totally made it for me on this one.  I understand what Ocicat says about "Wendel went from reluctantly teaching animals wizardry to actually wanting to - the end."  And I don't disagree, but the owls were so funny I didn't really mind.

I really enjoyed Wilson's reading, excellent overall, and I'd love to hear more from him.  But the Mrs. Tweedlechirp voice was physically painful coming out of my earbuds.  I'm not sure I can entirely blame Wilson for that one, because Anna's voicing of Mrs. Tweedlechirp was also physically painful.  I know she's a bird, but when the speaker is planted so close to my eardrum those shrill voices are very unpleasant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:42:29 PM by Unblinking »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 01:53:30 PM

Explain?  I didn't realize there was an incorrect horde.  (I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know what mis-usage you're referring to)

I would reckon he means hoard vs. horde.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:53 PM

I would reckon he means hoard vs. horde.

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 03:53:02 PM
Mostly, I liked the owls.  :)  Was the rolling "r" of Horrrrrrrrrrrrribly written into the manuscript or was that Wilson's embellishment?  (Either way, I liked it).  

It was written into the manuscript like that and Wilson just nailed it.

I have to say - it's not as easy to do in audio as you'd imagine, and Wilson makes it sound so easy :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 06:34:42 PM
It was written into the manuscript like that and Wilson just nailed it.

I have to say - it's not as easy to do in audio as you'd imagine, and Wilson makes it sound so easy :)

I know I can't roll r's with anywhere near that degree of melodrama--hilarious!

tabman

• Extern
Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:47 PM
Well after so many weeks of listening to all the Podcastle episodes from 1 to 124, I finally feel like I can comment on an episode....

It was great to hear about Squonk again.  The only thing I needed to remember was to stifle my laughter while riding the bus to work as the story unfolded. 

As for my first, I can not tell which on was first but I think the one that hooked me included the quote "Fishy Bitches" PC93 The Mermaid's Tea Party....

ioscode

• Extern
    • My Lab
Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 10:24:27 PM
Oh, the other point I wanted to make is this: When will we see the collected Squonk in picture-book format for bedtime reading?

Love this idea!

I have not listened to any prior Squonk stories, but found this one light and funny on it's own.

ChristianB

• Extern
Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 03:49:10 AM
My first Escape Pod story was Craphound dropped into The craphound podcast rss feed. Hooked from then on.

I wanted to hear Anna read it, then with the outro I started wondering whats up with Steve, which lead me to twitter, which made me sad.

washer

• Palmer
Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 01:25:21 PM
Squonk is a little too saccharine for me to love, but more than well-written enough for me to like and appreciate.  I wish I'd run into him earlier, but I got into this podcast game too late.

My first story was Exhalation, by Ted Chiang.

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 02:54:11 PM
This was my first Squonk story.  Now I need to go back and find its predecessors.  I've been reading some pretty heavy stuff for work (good!  but still very heavy), so a lighthearted story was just what I needed.

I loved Wilson's reading.  I listened to this one at the gym, and people on neighboring machines kept glancing over at me every time I giggled.  Well done!

I'm not sure which Escape Artists story was my first.  My husband subscribes to several different podcasts and will play them on long car trips or while he's puttering around the house doing chores, so I know I've been listening to them for a good long while now, but I have no idea when exactly I started tuning in.  I started downloading them for myself when I got my shiny new smartphone, and  "Paper Cuts Scissors" was the first one on there.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 03:48:09 PM
It's especially awesome to hear from all the people who hadn't listened to the other Squonk stories and still really enjoyed this one!

If anyone's interested in going back to the original two at EP:

EP 70: Squonk the Dragon

EP109: Squonk the Apprentice

Enjoy!!!

Melsana

• Extern
Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 06:02:23 PM
This was a very sweet story.  I like these more innocent fun stories than the darker or more "full of meaning" type stories.

Now I need to go find the other Squonk stories to hear them.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:10 PM

I was wondering if it would be worth posting these links on the original story posts both here and at the blog.  Just an idea.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 01:39:02 PM
I think I liked the earlier Squonk stories better. Also, this time, I had a problem with some of the falsetto voices, they seemed louder than the other voices. Squonk's mother seemed more annoying and less endearing this time.

jrh

• Extern
Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 04:03:41 PM
Really liked this one.  After so many stories that foistered deep thought, introspection, extreme situations, etc., it was very nice to be able to just kick back, relax, and enjoy!  Please, Sir, may I have another?

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 05:08:38 PM
I was initially sad that the Eley's weren't back to read this story but it didn't take long for Wilson to win me over. However, I thought the story was a little weak, whereas the second story was both a progression from the first and added to the universe, this felt like it didn't go anywhere, if there were a fourth story in which Wendel is teaching a class then this story could be glossed over without anyone noticing.

That said, I'm not really the target audience for this am I?

Grayven

• Palmer
Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 12:36:28 AM
This story was fun. It made a long commute with one of my kids into a short commute. I can't think of a higher praise.

Ephemera

• Extern
Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:05 AM
I enjoyed the story for (and with) my grandson, and appreciated the reminder of the life lesson reminders about know-it-alls, creativity in difficult situations, and the challenge of seemingly simple tasks.

Thanks for the story.

Irioth

• Extern
Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:26 AM
It has been a long time since I heard the previous two Squonk stories. I remember liking them as cute children's stories. This one, however, I didn't like much. I think mostly because this seemed to be a a sort of transition, something that would happen in the middle of a chapter. The only problem to overcome was Wendell's need to teach the animals. That hero's journey just wasn't compelling to me.

I do not recall my first Escape Pod story, but I do remember that hearing the Union Dues stories was what sold me on it. I'm at the point with EA where, if there is a slow start to a story, or one that just does not seem to catch my interest in the beginning, I take a deep breath and remind myself that I have come to trust the editors of Escape Pod and Podcastle, and to just relax and listen--to stop thinking about changing to another podcast.

ts52

• Extern
Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 05:45:54 PM
I love love love the Squonk stories. Thanks for giving us another one. Now I have to go download them all, listen to them again, and save them for the next long car trip with my girls. Hmmm, not sure I'll be able to wait that long.

Raj

• Palmer
    • Lord of the Moon
Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 10:24:07 PM
It made my evening when I saw the title of the newest PodCastle come into my podcatcher and I really enjoyed listening to it.  I agree with others that the story was somewhat slight, but there was enough in the interaction of the characters that still made me grin.  Like ChristianB I had hoped that Steve and Anna would read it and like him, I wandered over to Steve's Twitter feed and was sad.

On the subject of my first EA podcast, I think it was Mountain, Man, which didn't grab me as a story, but I was intrigued by the idea of free SF fiction in audio format, so I went back, grabbed the entire archive and spent the next few months catching up (something I'm still doing with the Drabblecast).  I've been hooked ever since, and subscribed to the PodCastle feed as soon as the website went up (although not PseudoPod since I'm not really a horror fan).  Even if I don't necessarily like all the stories, the quality and consistency of the stories and the production has never failed to impress me.

http://lordofthemoon.com ; (Former) Editor of TBD magazine: http://tbd.org.uk

lyndystitches

• Extern
Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 11:57:54 AM
I enjoyed hearing another tale of Squonk.  Since hearing the first one, I have wanted more of this world and cast.   

I have been listening to PodCastle and EscapePod for a number of years now, but have not participated in the forums before now.

My first ever PodCastle story I listened to was Illuminated Dragon by Sarah Prineas, and having had a hapazard literary education, I had no idea such short stories could be so wonderful to hear.  I was hooked.  I went back and have since listened to ever Podcastle release, and most of the EscapePods. 

naum nurgle

• Extern
Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
I really enjoyed this one

usually I'm not a huge fan of read children's stories (mainly having 2 means that children reading in in their time not mine, into my ears I want to hear stories for me) but the story came at the right time (having listened to the Drabblecast Lovecroft month and then Black Feather I was in the mood for something lighter) and the story had such whimsy, humour, and the total lack of tentacles around dark corners, well it gave me a huge grin and a mildly teary eye. I thought Wilson was fab!

As for 1st story (curse you competitions making me examine file lists in dusty archives of media files) I have EP114 but the first one I really remember was the first Union Due's; similar to another poster. Been listening for a while I guess

"Eu acreditaria somente num Deus que soubesse dançar."
(I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.)  Nietzsche

Loof

• Extern
Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 05:52:02 PM
Wow, this was so much fun. This was my first Squonk, and I found it really enjoyable.

rjfromva

• Extern
Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 10:53:33 PM
This story makes me nostalgic for the days when my boys were very young and just starting to enjoy reading and learning.  This would have been a great story to share with them. Nowadays their tastes have matured which makes me happy but I still might send this one there way so they can enjoy the innocence that this podcasts holds.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:55:31 PM by rjfromva »

Sholdyn

• Extern
Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:07 PM
This was my first Squonk story, but I rather enjoyed it. Simple and fun.

The narration was great!

s1nglecut

• Extern
Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 01:13:41 AM
I really enjoyed listening to this story with my Kids.  They both wanted the earlier stories added to their personal podcasts.  Thanks very much for this!

My first escape pod episode was The Dinner Game, Steve had me hooked from there.

Drewcifer3939

• Extern
Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:05 PM
Dang it, now I'm gonna have to move up downloading the Escape Pod archives in my priorities list.

StarKitten

• Extern
Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 08:58:38 AM
My first Escape Artists story... I think it was Feng Burger. I've been listening since there was only one podcast. Now there are three. The Squonk stories are very cute.

WalkinPneumonia

• Extern
Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 01:01:30 PM
I don't remember my first story, but I do always love the Squonk stories.

seth.e.shaw

• Extern
Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:35 PM
YAY for Squonk!

Like many others I don't recall what my first EA story was. What I do recall is that Squonk the apprentice was one of the first. I had to go back and listen to Squonk the dragon. I have been listening to Escape Pod ever since but was incredibly happy when Podcastle was announced.

Will post for more excellent audio fiction

Dame

• Extern
Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:16 PM
Oh, I'm a grump. I didn't like this story much. The mother bird voice hurt my ears, and I would rather spend my listening time on adult stories that give me a strong emotional response or make me think. This one wasn't my little acorn cup of tea.

Maplesugar

• Palmer
Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 12:03:27 AM
PodCastle never ceases to surprise me.  I found this story quite charming and a bit refreshing as well. I went looking for the first two stories right away after listening.

I can't remember my very first EA story, but one of the first ones I heard was Eugie Foster's "Sinner, Baker, Fablist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast".  While I was confused at the beginning by the changing personas, I enjoyed this story a great deal, as I was able to relate it to my own experience of people wearing many different masks in life.  Some people are like chameleons, switching personas to suit the situation.  I have found myself doing doubletakes at someone I thought I knew well when all of a sudden they are acting like a complete stranger.

Thanks for the stories!

Maplesugar

Turbo Funnelcake

• Extern
Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 03:27:35 AM

There is something about these Squonk stories that instill some childhood nostalgia in me; I love them! This is what storytelling is all about. 

Shaddicus

• Extern
Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:31 AM
Several months ago I had bought the escape pod collection on CD, and had loved Squonk the dragon.  However I had petered out after 4 disks, and didn't know there was a second Squonk story out there until Dave told me in the intro to this one.  Stop, itunes, aha, load, listen... and continuity intact.

I too wished you'd gotten the Eleys to read it, but no world is perfect.

The first escape pod story I ever listened to was a quirky story about immortality achieved through writing... literally.  And how the electronic media was going to melt that for the future.  I could do a descent job of retelling it but have no clue of the title, author, or episode #.

stephanieb

• Extern
Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 02:30:11 PM
Another Squonk story is always exciting. The reading was great, but the Eleys would have been awesome. I can't remember the first episode I listened too, it must have been in mid to late 2006. Some of my favorite early ones are How Lonesome a Life Without Nerve Gas and Connie, Maybe.

KittKatTiff

• Extern
Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 07:44:55 PM
Anothr Squonk story! I really enjoy these. Is that a bad thing since I am not a child? Hope there are more in this series

Thomas

• Palmer
Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56:18 PM
Squonk, awesome. Told my daughter the was a new squonk story (she's 15) she actually SQEEEEEEE!!'d

Squonk, the name says it all... great fun. easy listen. well read.

as for my first escapepod?? that would be i do not remember, but what i do remember is that it was before the first Squonk story.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.

noriker

• Extern
Reply #70 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:39 AM
Squee!  Squonk made my day less dreary.  I loved the reasons the remaining animals had for studying wizardry.

herogeorge

• Extern
Reply #71 on: October 09, 2010, 03:58:21 AM
I loved the closing lines.

Artemis

• Extern
Reply #72 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:22 PM
At first, I was completely bemused by this episode, but as it progressed the characters really grew on me. I loved the fact that, at the end, only the animals that wanted to be taught were there. It could almost be an after-school club in the real world!

Despite the dragon being the title character, I hope future episodes will show more the magician and his character development. For me, he was the most fun to listen to. But then, the narration was fantastic, the voices entertaining and diverse so there was never a dull moment.

baker8680

• Extern
Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 02:27:24 PM
This was a great story and a good reminder of the fact that at the end of the day all of these stories are about people and our ability to understand them.  To add to the earlier string my first story was Mr. Penumbra and the twenty four hour bookstore.  I to will be looking up the other two squonk stories as well.

motoyugota

• Extern
Reply #74 on: October 11, 2010, 03:37:33 PM
I liked the story well enough, but I have to admit I didn't really like the voice the mother bird was portrayed with, if only because it was pretty annoying.  Maybe that was the point though =).

I agree with you completely. And if that was the point, maybe a different point should have been made instead. That voice was almost too much to continue listening to the story at times.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #75 on: October 11, 2010, 05:03:56 PM

I agree with you completely. And if that was the point, maybe a different point should have been made instead. That voice was almost too much to continue listening to the story at times.

To be fair, it matched Anna Eley's bird voice from previous versions quite well.

motoyugota

• Extern
Reply #76 on: October 12, 2010, 03:11:19 PM

To be fair, it matched Anna Eley's bird voice from previous versions quite well.

That's fine, and to be equally fair, I would have said the same thing at the time of those stories had I been listening to the podcast when they had come out.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 01:30:10 PM

That's fine, and to be equally fair, I would have said the same thing at the time of those stories had I been listening to the podcast when they had come out.

Yup, and I said it in that comment thread myself.  :P  I don't disagree, really.

Gorbash

• Extern
Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 10:30:58 AM
Much like Artemis, I was almost bored by this one until about the halfway point, until the story finally started to involve me.  That may have been excessive tiredness on my part (it was the end of a looooong day), or a lack of familiarity with the previous adventures of Squonk, but I'm not desperate to seek out the earlier stories.

Clearly it's the minority opinion, but I don't think this one was for me.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #79 on: October 16, 2010, 10:13:39 AM

I had the same reaction as kristofor.wilson. and motoyugota.

The voice of the mother bird in this version really grated on me.  This is not a negative comment on the narrator (he did a much better job than I would have!).  It’s just that he has a broad, sonorous, deep, and resonant masculine voice—like that of an announcer.   And it just didn't lend itself well to the high-pitched feminine and yet assertive voice required of the bluebird Mrs. Tweedlechirp.  It was straining against the comfortable boundaries of his natural register.  (Hope I’ve put that correctly).  She ended up sounding quite a bit more nagging than assertive  (or, perhaps, like a man portraying a nagging woman).

(Haha.  It’s funny to analyze the story so much.  But that character of Mrs. Tweedlechirp is kind of cool because she’s this very strong maternal character.  She has the heart of a dragon but squeezed into the tiny body of a bluebird.  You can imagine her squaring off against a lion –or a powerful wizard—to protect her son.  Somehow I think that Anna was able to capture that.)

After I read Unblinking's comment that this one matched Anna Eley’s voice from the previous versions, I went back and listened again.  And I thought, ‘Nah. Not really.’  To my ears, the two portrayals sounded extremely different.

As for the story itself, again I agree with another poster’s comment:
I was almost bored by this one until about the halfway point, until the story finally started to involve me.  That may have been excessive tiredness on my part (it was the end of a looooong day), or a lack of familiarity with the previous adventures of Squonk, but I'm not desperate to seek out the earlier stories.
Clearly it's the minority opinion, but I don't think this one was for me.

For some reason, the story really started to grab me after the wizard returned to the clearing with renewed purpose--sometime like around 32 minutes or something.  For some reason, after that it really drew me in and started ‘to work’.  I ended up really liking and it wanting very much to hear what would come next for this unique band of apprentices and wizard. 

These three stories are really laying the groundwork for an entire world.  I can see this very easily as a comic book or cartoon or eventually a novel-length book or series of novels.  But I think the nature of the stories lends itself well to serialization.  It’s fun to let each episode digest a bit before the next one comes to move the action further along.  (Maybe because each episode ends with a kind of definite resolution of a problem (as well as the promise of another problem tentatively peeking out in the distance). 

Well, at any rate, thanks for yet another wonderful story and telling!  Really appreciate this.
Nigel

Bete

• Extern
  • All Fangy and Grrrrrrr
    • Kingdom of Loathing
Reply #80 on: October 23, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
This was my first Squonk encounter, and I just wanted to pop in and say that I enjoyed it very much.  I usually skip the more "light-hearted" stories, but was glad I didn't this time.   Bravo!

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #81 on: October 24, 2010, 10:05:09 PM
I so loved this story. It was adorable and endearing. I want to do an illustration based on this so bad...

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #82 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:22 AM
I think my first EA podcast was "Niels Bohr and the Sleeping Dane," ep. 123 on Escape Pod.  It's the oldest one I've got on my computer, anyway -- I only save the files for the ones I really enjoy -- and looking at the list on Wikipedia, I don't recognize the titles that precede it.  What a good place to start: that ep just blew me away.

Anyway, it means I'm not familiar with the previous Squonk stories, and I did feel like I was missing something as a result, particularly where Mrs. Tweedlechirp was concerned.  Still, I enjoyed this a lot, and outright snorfled while listening to it on the plane (much to the confusion of the man sitting next to me), so clearly it was still doing something right.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #83 on: October 25, 2010, 02:46:45 PM
I so loved this story. It was adorable and endearing. I want to do an illustration based on this so bad...

So contact the author and and ask permission!

I've worked with an artist before who illustrated one of my stories with my permission.  It turned out great, and we have an agreement that she's totally free to sell the art or do whatever with it at no obligation to me.  I thought it was great to get to see my story illustrated, and hopefully she'll be able to sell the art somewhere and then everyone's happy!

In any case, it cannot hurt to ask.  If I were the author, and you'd sent that exact post to me, I would definitely say yes.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #84 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:31 PM

I've worked with an artist before who illustrated one of my stories with my permission.  It turned out great, and we have an agreement that she's totally free to sell the art or do whatever with it at no obligation to me.  I thought it was great to get to see my story illustrated, and hopefully she'll be able to sell the art somewhere and then everyone's happy!

In any case, it cannot hurt to ask.  If I were the author, and you'd sent that exact post to me, I would definitely say yes.

We've had fan art posted on the forum before (Attar for Roses). FWIW, I imagine Mr. Butler would be pleased to see it :)

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #85 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:10 PM

We've had fan art posted on the forum before (Attar for Roses). FWIW, I imagine Mr. Butler would be pleased to see it :)

Cool, thanks! If I get the time to do sometime for myself, I will sit down to do it!

jay daze

• Extern
Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 09:00:37 PM
Great story.  Pulling off cute talking animals is a totally underrated skill, both for the author and the narrator.  Congrats to both.

I love the variety of stories that you folks put up over the three escape artist casts.  Sweet stories like this are wonderful for making the bitter, harrowing, despairing stories even more bitter, harrowing and despairing!  Sweet!

My entry into the escape artist realm was probably Kij Johnson's 'The Evolution Of Trickster Stories Among The Dogs Of North Park After The Change'.  Awwww, another animal story.  And according my theory they go perfectly together.

BlairHippo

• Peltast
    • The Blair Hippo Project
Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:31 PM
Thank you all very much for the kind words.  It means a lot to me, and is good inspiration to have the next Squonk story finished that much sooner.

And for those who didn't care for it, I sincerely thank you for chiming in anyway.  Apathy is far more dispiriting than dislike; here's hoping the next story will be more to your taste.

Gateaux, if you can find the time to do fan art of the characters, I would be honored.  It would be the first time I know of anybody has tried to represent the big fella and his friends visually, and I would love to see it.

-- Pete Butler

eytanz

Reply #88 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:21 PM
I don't think I chimed in for this one yet. I loved it; it had all the squonk charm I remembered. It was a bit more of a Wendel story than a Squonk story, but a good ensamble piece lets everyone get a moment in the spotlight.

And owls really made me laugh.... horribly!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #89 on: November 06, 2010, 03:58:29 PM
This is what happens when a new narrator takes hold of a story. All due respect to the narrator of "Squonk the Apprentice", who I have met in person and who was very nice, but Wilson is a MUCH better choice for a kids' story, what with his impressive range of characters -- and how he somehow managed to keep them straight in his head (I have trouble holding more than three-four voices in my mental RAM at a time).

I liked the language and comparisons used in the story (especially Squonk's appreciation for fire), and... Slowfingers? Is that his raccoon friend? Yeah, he's the Neville Longbottom to Squonk's Harry Potter. All in favor of a Slowfingers spinoff...?

AYE.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #90 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:30 PM
I loved this one HORRRIIIIIIBBBBBBLLLLLLYYYYYY!!   ;D

While I'll always enjoy Steve and Anna's earlier readings, Wilson Fowlie blow them out of the water.  The various voices had me giggling maniacally during my morning commute.

I especially like the moral of the story: e.g. some things take lots and lots of hard work, but are very much worth it.  It seems like a lot of media directed at children/young-adults gloss or skip over the part that includes hard work and goes straight to the fun rewardy part.  Heroes these days are either just born with "special powers" (e.g. Harry Potter) or they just go through a training montage a la Karate Kid and gain Awesome Kung Fu Powers in the span of 30 seconds.  It's refreshing to see a sane message in the mix that says "hey kids, what you're trying to do will probably be a whole lot of work, that will take lots of time, and you might fail at it once or twice, but you keep going you just might get there."

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #91 on: November 08, 2010, 06:38:40 PM
or they just go through a training montage a la Karate Kid and gain Awesome Kung Fu Powers in the span of 30 seconds. 

I would pay good money to get one of those training montages for myself.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #92 on: November 09, 2010, 04:03:15 PM
or they just go through a training montage a la Karate Kid and gain Awesome Kung Fu Powers in the span of 30 seconds. 

I would pay good money to get one of those training montages for myself.

Wouldn't we all?  But that's the whole point, isn't it?  Some things (hard work) money really can't buy.  *Queue the Rocky Theme*

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #93 on: November 10, 2010, 08:57:40 PM
I don't remember my first EA story, but i know it was Escape Pod and it was probably some time in 2006. The earliest i have on this computer is Ep. 90, but i'm certain i started before Jan. of '07. I do remember enjoying whatever the story was and going back to iTunes to download whatever was on the backlog there. I didn't get the ones that were archived on the site.

I wished i could remember how i stumbled onto EscapePod to begin with. It was one of the first podcasts i started listening to. I think the official Lost podcast is what got me addicted to podcasts. I hardly ever use the iPod for music now. And as for my commute to work, it's almost always podcasts. I didn't start listening to Psuedopod until much later, because i didn't figure i would enjoy it. As it turns out, i enjoy it better than Escape Pod. Podcastle is probably my favorite of the three, though (probably because it's just my genre of choice).

I think i missed the first Squonk story and went back and listened to it after Squonk the Apprentice aired. I liked this one, but i wasn't real crazy about the way it was read (so sorry, Wilson!!  :'( ). But, as i recall, they were all read with that same patronizing, 'read-as-if-to-preschoolers' voice. I've never been a fan of that voice, even when i was a preschooler. So, i really don't blame the reader as much as, IIRC, that's how it was done in the past. I understand WHY it was read that way, though, and it didn't keep me from listening to it and enjoying it.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #94 on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:48 PM
I don't know if I've heard the Squonk stories, which makes sense because the first EA story I heard was a Podcastle story (I want to say it was a Peter Beagle story, but I can't remember which). But I absolutely loved it. Wilson's reading was hilarious and had me grinning all throughout the day. Definitely a story to have my son listen to.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #95 on: November 19, 2011, 05:28:04 PM
This was my first exposure to Squonk. I have dutifully downloaded the first two and have added them to the queue.

My first story was "Waiting Up for Father" the first PseudoPod flash piece. I consider everyone that worked on that one a close friend, and I wanted to see what they had made. That was the first push of the stone off the crest of the hill. It rolled slowly, but now that it's gotten momentum, it's not stopping until I hit the bottom of the archives.

Thank you all very much for the kind words.  It means a lot to me, and is good inspiration to have the next Squonk story finished that much sooner.

And for those who didn't care for it, I sincerely thank you for chiming in anyway.  Apathy is far more dispiriting than dislike; here's hoping the next story will be more to your taste.

Gateaux, if you can find the time to do fan art of the characters, I would be honored.  It would be the first time I know of anybody has tried to represent the big fella and his friends visually, and I would love to see it.

-- Pete Butler

Here's a nudge and a reminder that it's been a year since you said this. Time for another Squonk story. And the following bears repeating.

It's especially awesome to hear from all the people who hadn't listened to the other Squonk stories and still really enjoyed this one!

EP 70: Squonk the Dragon

EP109: Squonk the Apprentice

Enjoy!!!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #96 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:36 PM
I've yet to hear the former Spuonk Stories, but this one was lighthearted enough to make me clamer for more. It is definitly a good classic bed time story, complete with moral and happy ending. Being a teacher I thank my lucky stars to have never had a class such as this one. but I have had my share of good intensioned but annoyingly right students, that are just as loveable as this big dragon. The narraration was perfect.