Author Topic: Best of Pseudopod 2011 Stories Poll  (Read 7674 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:14 AM
Hey!  Finally that time!  Time to vote for your favorite Pseudopod stories of 2011!

I included every nomination from the nominations thread, as well as those honorable mentions that received more than one honorable mention.

So enjoy, vote, and be merry!

(Hopefully I didn't goof up somewhere, but do tell me if I did!)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:44:23 AM
Mr Tiger, you are made of awesome. Thanks!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:54 PM
Hmm.  It looks like the winner is going to take it all by having, like, three votes instead of one if this current pattern continues...

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:45:45 PM
On the other hand, now we have a good chance of the winner having twice as many votes as third place...

We probably have a very widely agreed upon Best 50% for 2011.  It will be a good list for people getting into Pseudopod in 2012 and wondering what stories were good in 2011 (most of them).  But it is still an awfully extensive list.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:19 PM
It may be worth grabbing the top five or so and make a poll where folks pick just one.

Also, go participate in the uglier "best of" discussion.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:11 PM
This poll will be open for a wee bit longer, yes?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:35 PM
This poll will be open for a wee bit longer, yes?

See top of page:

"(Voting closes: 16-03-2012, 16:19:14)"

;)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:39:35 PM
Such a spread!  I like the idea of taking the top 5 or so and making a second poll, though it seems as though we might have a clear winner anyway.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:55 PM
That was a -hard- choice; five would have been much easier!

Alea Iacta Est!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:46:20 PM
So voting closed today,and we have clear winners (or at least A clear winner)

1st place goes to Orrin Grey's Black Hill, followed by Dearest Daughter by Kate Marshall, and then a tie for third between Pageant Girls by Caroline Yoachim and In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files.

are we happy with these results?  Would we like a runoff poll between the top 5 or top 10?  Make thine-selves heard!

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
There was fantastic distribution. I think Black Hill is the clear winner, with over half the participants in the poll voting for it. It may be worth doign a poll with every story that got at least three votes and only allowing a single vote would clear up the input from folks who were spreading the love around. Or maybe we declare Black Hill the winner and make it a match for 2nd and 3rd places.

If another story poll goes up, I'd love to see a reader poll go up at the same time. Maybe only give folks two choices so they can't just revote for their nominations, or maybe only grab readers that got at least two nominations (haven't run any numbers, just thinking out loud).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:20:41 PM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:52:44 PM
If there is a second round of voting, I'd say that every story that got 2 votes would be a better run-off number than just a tie-breaker for third.  Even Dearest Daughter isn't anywhere near a majority of the remaining votes, there were just so many good choices.

On a personal note, the winner and one of the thirds were honorable mentions of mine, and the other third and second were two of my nominees.  So I'm personally happy with the outcome.

That said, I think having a second round of voting would be more fair, a 1-vote run-off for third would be okay, but a 2-vote poll among the 2-or-mores would be even better in my opinion.

I'm personally surprised Black Hill got so strong a majority.  I mean, I honorable-mentioned it too, I really enjoy the story, I'm just surprised it is so... universal.  Especially given the variety of choices and how spread out all the others were.  Like I said, not disappointed in the electorate or anything, just surprised.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 06:55:37 AM
it might have to do with the fact that Black Hill came in last, and was pretty damn good as well.  It was more fresh in everyone's memories.

The reader poll will be going up sometime soon.  Sorry for the delay, but I've been overrun with papers to write and studying and such.  I'll be collecting results and putting up a poll, as well as a runoff poll for 2011 stories.  I'm going to go with a runoff of every story with two or more votes, with two votes per person.
I'll make sure the readers poll has less participants.  I'll fiddle with honorable mentions and actual nominations and such, try to keep it to about 10 or so.

Hopefully this'll be up either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on what I get dragged into for St. Patrick's day.  :P

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 03:07:36 PM
Hopefully this'll be up either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on what I get dragged into for St. Patrick's day.  :P

I expect new posts in this thread. Have fun!