Author Topic: John Joseph Adams Editing Fantasy Magazine  (Read 9913 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: October 25, 2010, 06:47:30 PM
Didn't see this one coming.

Starting in March, John Joseph Adams will be editing Fantasy Magazine in addition to Lightspeed and his numerous anthologies.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:17 PM
I find reports of his selling his soul in order to avoid sleeping more credible by the day.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:30:26 PM
I find reports of his selling his soul in order to avoid sleeping more credible by the day.

Dude, you can do that?  I would seriously consider that trade...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:24:25 PM
I can't say I'm thrilled about this.  I liked Cat's editorial choices, and I liked the fact that Fantasy and Lightspeed had different styles.  Now it's basically just F&SF split into two.

Also, I dislike the change for selfish reasons.  Fantasy Magazine is the place where I've had the most "almost but not quite" variety of personal rejections.  I've never had the slightest luck writing a story that JJA would like.  Fantasy had been one of my top markets I hoped to crack some day soon, but with JJA at the helm, it's on the list of "not bloody likely" instead.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:27:17 PM
Well, don't let that stop you. You never know. :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:17 PM
So how does that work, from the lowly unsolicited manuscript POV?  Can we resubmit stuff to the new editor that the old editors didn't like in hopes that he has different tastes?  Or is a rejection a rejection?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:03 PM
I can't say I'm thrilled about this.  I liked Cat's editorial choices, and I liked the fact that Fantasy and Lightspeed had different styles.  Now it's basically just F&SF split into two.

It will be an interesting change. Fantasy has a distinct feel to there stories that I attribute to Cat and Sean Wallace. I'm sure JJA will be great, though.

Also, I dislike the change for selfish reasons.  Fantasy Magazine is the place where I've had the most "almost but not quite" variety of personal rejections.  I've never had the slightest luck writing a story that JJA would like.  Fantasy had been one of my top markets I hoped to crack some day soon, but with JJA at the helm, it's on the list of "not bloody likely" instead.

Then I respectfully encourage you to do everything you can to make it more bloody likely :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:38:17 PM
So how does that work, from the lowly unsolicited manuscript POV?  Can we resubmit stuff to the new editor that the old editors didn't like in hopes that he has different tastes?  Or is a rejection a rejection?

Typically, magazines don't want to see previously rejected stories re-submitted. OTOH, it is a new editor.

I imagine they'll address it in the guidelines one way or another as they move forward.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:56 PM
Typically, magazines don't want to see previously rejected stories re-submitted. OTOH, it is a new editor.

I imagine they'll address it in the guidelines one way or another as they move forward.

I would assume that unless they explicitly say you can re-sub, it would get you a black mark amongst their slush staff.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 06:45:50 PM

I would assume that unless they explicitly say you can re-sub, it would get you a black mark amongst their slush staff.

Kinda figured.  Oh, well.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:08:09 PM

Possibly.  I have risked it before at another market, and actually got past the new slushreader, instead of the slushreader form rejection.  But here, just because Cat is leaving doesn't mean her slushreaders are leaving, and I expect they'd recognize a story that's resubmitted.

In addition, I'm assuming that this will be similar to when Lightspeed launched--because JJA was previously assistant editor at F&SF, anything that he's rejected there or for any of his anthologies should not be submitted here (unless the particular rejection said that he liked it but that it wasn't suited for that particular market).

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:12 PM
Then I respectfully encourage you to do everything you can to make it more bloody likely :)

Ha, I'm not by any means saying that I'm going to stop submitting.  It's just that I think my chances of making it at the market have gone from slim to impossible.  Oh well, at least their turnaround time is fast, and I don't have to blow postage on the submission.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:49:09 PM
When JJA opened Lightspeed, it specifically said int he guidelines that if he'd already rejected your submission from another thing he edits, don't resubmit it. I'd go with that rule.

FWIW, Lightspeed's slush reader @inkhaven is very active on Twitter and she might be able to send JJA a quick message on your behalf.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:49 AM

It's called meth, and it does not come highly recommended.  I don't know what JJA's secret is, but I doubt that's it.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:00 PM

It's called meth, and it does not come highly recommended.  I don't know what JJA's secret is, but I doubt that's it.

Where'd I get all this energy?

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:22 AM
From what I know, it's fine to re-submit to a magazine with a new editor. Some big-name author at a speech at a con (I think Nancy Kress, but don't quote me on that) suggested watching the editor merry-go-round to know when such an opportunity is possible.

I wonder if you could sub to the same editor at different markets; if JJA looks for something different at Lightspeed than at Fantasy.

Oh yes, and I'm back.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

eytanz

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 11:00:28 AM
From what I know, it's fine to re-submit to a magazine with a new editor. Some big-name author at a speech at a con (I think Nancy Kress, but don't quote me on that) suggested watching the editor merry-go-round to know when such an opportunity is possible.

I'd say it depends on more than the editor - if an editor changes but slush readers remain the same, you may find the same person reading your story the second time.

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:15:20 AM
Fair enough, but for the most part we don't know the slush readers. We do know editors.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 08:59:31 PM
Fair enough, but for the most part we don't know the slush readers. We do know editors.

That's the trouble.  If you don't know the slush readers, you don't know when they come and go.  And therefore you're pretty likely to make yourself look bad in their eyes.

Not that you can't do it, I would just consider veeeeery carefully before you do so.