Escape Artists

News:

• The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

News

The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

Author Topic: Letter  (Read 3628 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:58 AM
Letter

By Tim Pratt
Read by Dave Thompson

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:59:47 AM
I'm trying to think of a way to say that I liked this because it reminded me of something I'd write without saying that I liked it because it reminded me of something I'd write because that's kind of egocentric.  I get that feeling a lot when reading Tim Pratt, though.

It would totally have been right at home on Mirrorshards, is all I'm saying.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:47:57 AM
This was fluffy and disturbing at the same time. Wonderful!!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:48:10 PM
This was fun, and I liked it.  Which will come as a shock to everyone, I'm sure, since Pratt's my favorite short story writer. 

The absurd occurrences reminded me a bit of "Fourteen Experiments in Postal Delivery".  In a good way.  Especially the finding of an island under there (in 14 Experiments, someone mailed the country of Spain if I remember correctly).

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:39:20 PM
I'm trying to think of a way to say that I liked this because it reminded me of something I'd write without saying that I liked it because it reminded me of something I'd write because that's kind of egocentric.  I get that feeling a lot when reading Tim Pratt, though.

It would totally have been right at home on Mirrorshards, is all I'm saying.

I bet you'll be pleased to hear the story made me think of "Fetch", mostly thanks to its tone.

I get the feeling "Letter" would have done very, very well if it had been submitted to the PodCastle flash contest.  Woulda been a Final Round contender, at the very least.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest