Author Topic: 10 free "horror" films recommended by Roger Ebert. :)  (Read 6539 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:40 AM
I will watch anything he recommends. And free online? Yes please.

I put "horror" in quotes because some of them are more thriller or other genres.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/strange-3/-nbsp-nbsp-watch-cocteau.html

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36:00 AM
Holy crap, The Third Man's up for free?!!  The Thirrd Man is just fiercely, relentlessly brilliant.  It's not horror but it's a magnificent film, a character study of broken people in a broken city where every map from the geographical down to the moral is being redrawn.  Also, the speech on the Ferris Wheel is one of those moments where you just go 'Oh, THAT's what cinema is for.'

As an aside, for me, at least, the closing scene of Clerks 2, set to 'Frustrated Incorporated' by Soul Asylum is another:)

M I've never seen but there's a stunning radio version (Starring, amongst others, Kevin 'Lucius Vorenus' Mckidd) that I've been listening to pretty constantly for months.  It's a horrible, horrible story, filled with moral ambiguity and the abject terror that comes from mistaken perceptions.  It's DEFINITELY horror and if the radio version is a diluted adaptation?  Then the film should be amazing.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:51:44 PM
"M" really is one of the greats... the real breakout film for Peter Lorre, and some of his best acting all tied together with an ending of strong moral ambiguity.

Ebert's got a rather spotty history with the horror genre IMHO... where he's able to enjoy camp and "just for fun" films on their own level in most other genres, he seems to enjoy savaging a lot of the horror genre unmercifully if they're anything other than grand classics.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15:33 PM
Holy crap, The Third Man's up for free?!!  The Thirrd Man is just fiercely, relentlessly brilliant.  It's not horror but it's a magnificent film, a character study of broken people in a broken city where every map from the geographical down to the moral is being redrawn.  Also, the speech on the Ferris Wheel is one of those moments where you just go 'Oh, THAT's what cinema is for.'

That was *exactly* my reaction when I saw that it's available on Youtube.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:56:27 PM
M is so outstanding I had to buy the Criterion disc a few years ago - those who enjoy it should search out the early Dr. Mabuse films as well.

I got to see THE THIRD MAN on the big screen as part of a British-Noir series.  Amazing movie and, yes, the ferris wheel scene is justifiably famous.  "Cuckoo clocks"!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:41:22 PM by Sgarre1 »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:05 AM
"M" still stands up surprisingly well even today. Awesome film. Long.