Author Topic: AMC's The Walking Dead  (Read 33595 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 08:34:55 PM
The "constant surveillance is okay because it helps reduce crime and terrorism" pop-cult narrative seems already in place in the UK with things like TORCHWOOD).  

Yo, don't forget Batman: The Dark Knight! Bruce Wayne monitored every cell phone in Gotham City to find the Joker. And Morgan Freeman's character offered only the most token of token objections.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 03:39:59 PM
Hey, how far behind am I on this, and is there any way to get caught up without bittorrenting individual episodes?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 01:13:50 AM
well, the season finale left me hugely unimpressed.  about the only thing i enjoyed were a few moments of Dale's (rv guy) acting.

all of the comic's flavour, the thing that gave the pilot an original feel, is gone.  this episode was typical b-rate tv scifi.  there was, what?  ten seconds worth of zombies in a zombie season finale?  instead they blew their budget on a cheesy cgi explosion.

at least misfits has been consistently interesting this season.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:14 AM
I think the season finale may damage the show's future.  There was nothing about this episode that left me hungry for more.  I felt no sympathy for the characters this week.  I also felt like the promos were misleading and distracted from the show.  I really hope they come back with a mind blowing season opener.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

goatkeeper

Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 06:56:11 AM
for the record, it was a pretty damn good explosion though :P

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:23 PM
I just set a "Season Pass" on my TiVo; hopefully they'll rerun the episodes before the next series so I can catch up.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:01 PM
why do people feel ok to tivo a show but not download it?  there's no substantial difference.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 07:49:00 PM
why do people feel ok to tivo a show but not download it?  there's no substantial difference.

Because I don't want to watch shit sitting in a chair at my desk; I prefer to watch from my couch as God intended.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:34 PM
Watched the original Dawn of the Dead today.  They used the word zombie in it.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 10:13:59 PM
why do people feel ok to tivo a show but not download it?  there's no substantial difference.

Because I don't want to watch shit sitting in a chair at my desk; I prefer to watch from my couch as God intended.
lulz.  desk.  couch.  I can watch from my bed as evolution intended.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 05:09:33 PM

I'm completely with you on the couch thing, but that doesn't stop me from torrenting. My "TV Watching" computer is strategically placed near the TV and uses the TV as a second monitor. I watch everything from the comfort of my couch. The only complaint is that I need to get up to pause (really old computer, not set up for handling remote control devices), but seeing as I only need to do that if I am getting up anyway (like bathroom or snack break), it's not really an issue. Definitely think about setting your computer/TV up like that!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 06:26:49 PM
My "TV Watching" computer is strategically placed near the TV and uses the TV as a second monitor. I watch everything from the comfort of my couch. The only complaint is that I need to get up to pause (really old computer, not set up for handling remote control devices), but seeing as I only need to do that if I am getting up anyway (like bathroom or snack break), it's not really an issue. Definitely think about setting your computer/TV up like that!

Not an option. Not everybody has the capability to use TV as a second monitor; my TV's still a 4:3 CRT, no bloody 1040p HD. And there's just the one computer, not a "TV-watching computer".

goatkeeper

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:16 AM
So, question, and this has spoilers (presumably those who haven't seen the show yet aren't intently reading a thread like this):

Do you guys find the character's behavior believable in the scenario of a zombie apocalypse?  Let's keep it to what we know of the show so far, not the comic.

Would she be bangin' his bf just weeks after?  Would the bf 'fall in love' with her that quick?  Would he really try to rape her?
Would old guys stay behind for suicidal people they just recently met?
Would a father/mother/young daughter ever decide to leave a group and fend for their own?
Would a loving wife leave her husband on the spot to await suicide?  Would a husband let her go?
And others.  To what extent does the trauma of the world falling apart make this normally aberrant behavior more plausible for you?

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 06:23:53 AM
Watched the CDC episode last night.  I still like the show a lot.  I'll definitely buy next season (I'm overseas, so I can't tivo it).  I have not read the comic, but it's not my Christmas list, and some particularly twisted relative might give it to me. 

I didn't realize I was watching a finale, and it's quite possible I would have been more disappointed if I had known this.  It felt more like a episode than a Finale.  It seems to be more of a Disease Apocalypse story than a Zombie Apocalypse one.  You could have basically the same story with a deadly flu.  The last episode, anyway.  I also saw Survival of the Dead which was a complete train wreck of a movie.  It seemed to not take the genre seriously at all, and I will reiterate that I'm glad that Romero -- with all due sincere respect -- is not involved with WD.

Good questions, Keeper of Goats.  I need to give them more thought.  I will forgive almost any emotional craziness at the end of the world, but I can't abide by logical craziness, if that makes any sense.  I don't mind the unusual relationship stuff, but if the gang decides to hole up in a Best Buy because the large plate glass windows will make it easy to see approaching walkers  I will voice frustration. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 11:25:53 PM
it doesn't seem likely that the series will be as hard and unflinching as the comic, no tv series ever has been.

They seem to be rather unflinching on the gore. I was surprised by the level of violent gore on television.

So, question, and this has spoilers (presumably those who haven't seen the show yet aren't intently reading a thread like this):

Would she be bangin' his bf just weeks after?  Would the bf 'fall in love' with her that quick?  Would he really try to rape her?

I recall hints about the partner being sweet on his best friend's wife before the apocalypse. Small town, so he could have had a thing for her since high school, and a resentment towards his friend for getting her. So I totally buy his motivations.

My primary criticism would be that they frontloaded a lot of the zombieness. The first episode (and the second as I understand it) were chock full of zombies, whereas the last four episodes had an uncomfortable soap to zombie ratio. A better balance could be struck.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 11:36:39 PM
I can buy into most of the crazy relationship stuff.  Long story short, I knew a band that split up from a similar situation.  One of the guys went on a bender and was gone for about a month.  When he got back, another band member was shacking up with his wife and playing daddy to his kids.  The wife changed her mind and wanted her husband back.  Not quite the same, but people are crazy.  I think the show worked better when we did not know the characters.  I would like to see different groups.  Could have switched the story to the Atlanta group when the shared scene was over.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 06:46:30 AM
My "TV Watching" computer is strategically placed near the TV and uses the TV as a second monitor. I watch everything from the comfort of my couch. The only complaint is that I need to get up to pause (really old computer, not set up for handling remote control devices), but seeing as I only need to do that if I am getting up anyway (like bathroom or snack break), it's not really an issue. Definitely think about setting your computer/TV up like that!

Not an option. Not everybody has the capability to use TV as a second monitor; my TV's still a 4:3 CRT, no bloody 1040p HD. And there's just the one computer, not a "TV-watching computer".

LOL! My "TV-watching computer" is an ancient P4 that someone gave me (meaning they were throwing it out) 4+ years ago. I added an old-model video card that has S-Video output so I can hook it up to a dead VCR, whose only function is to convert to RCA, which is what my even older (1996 CRT) TV needs as video input (audio is handled through separate speakers connected to the computer).  The set up is not "pretty" (lots of wires), but it works and the picture is good enough for most TV shows. Though it's clearly not High Def, so great visual effects movies may be a different story.

goatkeeper

Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 08:11:47 PM
How cool is this fanmade intro to the show-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLVlvMKVi8

And once again the line in the sand between amateur/fan and bigmedia professional is whimsically kicked over.

Kanemoto's animation has made its rounds on the net, I'm sure Frank Darabont's checked it out.  I hope next season he trades up from the current completely forgettable show intro for this bad boy.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 12:30:30 AM
AMC ran a two-day marathon last week, so my TiVo got it and now I'm all caught up, bitches!  ;D

Okay now, when's the next season?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:42 AM
Still feel the best feeling to see horror books!   :o :o

Yeah, that makes sense.  Oh that's a nice spammy signature you got.  /banhammer

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"

Lawrence

• Extern
    • Weird, Wonderful, Word of Writing Comics
Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 04:52:49 PM
(First post, Hello!)

Can't wait for the premier of this season. This has been one of the few shows that me and my other half enjoy watching together that I could call genre fiction. The Walking Dead comic is also one of the few that I can give to my friends and they almost universally enjoy. Lots of potential here and I am anxious to see if they can keep up the greatness.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 05:26:03 PM
I'm currently rewatching the first season in prep for Tivo stacking up a few of the second season. I like them even better on the second round. I had frowned on eps 3-6 as being zombie-light (especially compared to the first two), but 3-5 have a lot more good stuff than I recalled.

It also hold up well (and probably what made it so wildly successful) is that it's a post-apocalypse drama that utilizes zombies. Much more likely to survive than a zombie show that utilizes drama. Love the actors and the casting and really looking forward to seeing Merle again.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

goatkeeper

Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 08:06:34 PM
Ugh.  Long contrived 'talk-to-jesus-statue' monologues in abandoned churches FTW (for the weaksauce).
Pretty disappointing season premiere, especially after just watching the Breaking Bad wrapup...which was amazing BTW (bereft totally of weaksauce).