Author Topic: Ever so diffident shy little query  (Read 3924 times)

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
on: November 10, 2010, 09:11:30 PM
Submitted a story to EP in August. No acknowledgment, no clear off you dipstick with your daft trash, no nuffink. Any old hands out there, what's the form? Some idea of the difference between polite timeliness and obsequious doormat would be handy!

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:14 PM
Are you familiar with Duotrope? Have you queried? I'm under the impression that EP asks you to wait 60 days before querying. (Which you have.) So if you haven't heard back, I'd suggest dropping them a line at their submissions address.

I know some people worry that sending a query will result in a rejection, but speaking both as a writer and an editor, I can assure you that's really not the case.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:16:50 PM
Are you familiar with Duotrope? Have you queried? I'm under the impression that EP asks you to wait 60 days before querying. (Which you have.) So if you haven't heard back, I'd suggest dropping them a line at their submissions address.

I know some people worry that sending a query will result in a rejection, but speaking both as a writer and an editor, I can assure you that's really not the case.

I once queried and got an acceptance! It was solid awesome.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:02:42 PM

When I submitted before, there was a timescale and an acknowledgment but not this time. 60 days seems about right though so another week and I'll maybe poke my nose round the door. Thanks.
Yes, I do know Duotrope but I didn't check because I thought someone here might know, and you did :)

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:56 PM

I once queried and got an acceptance! It was solid awesome.

That's what I call style! I'll give them another week then see if I can get them to keep it on the grounds that sending it home after all this time would be too traumatic for it  ;D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:02 PM
Just to add one more thing: if a market says query after 60 days, please don't query earlier than that. Wait the full 60 days.

Getting queries that come before what the guidelines suggest is kind of frustrating. (I still don't think it has impact on whether or not an editor will buy the story, but still.)

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:58:49 PM
Just to add one more thing: if a market says query after 60 days, please don't query earlier than that. Wait the full 60 days.

Getting queries that come before what the guidelines suggest is kind of frustrating. (I still don't think it has impact on whether or not an editor will buy the story, but still.)
I've never had to ask before as there's always been a timescale and I'm more likely to underestimate the wait than think I should have heard. This time there was no indication so I wasn't sure when to inquire. I'm not in any rush but I'd like to know it's actually there and not wafting about in the ether still. I can hold on a while longer; it's not going to go off, or anything!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:42:46 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I wasn't aiming my comment at you :)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:32 PM
The submission guidelines could probably use a little work at some point, 60 days is about the right amount of time to query

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 11:14:12 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I wasn't aiming my comment at you :)
::)