Author Topic: PC131: Skatouioannis  (Read 19617 times)

SaturdaySportsman

• Extern
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 06:12:52 AM
I loved this one.  "Shitty John" is now one of my favorite characters.  LOL   :D

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 07:24:48 PM
I just recorded an intro for an upcoming story that I thought was badass, and so I called it badass.  ... I thought this story was pretty funny, so I called it hilarious. (Okay, I think I actually said "totally hilarious." Maybe it wasn't "totally," but I did think it was pretty hilarious.) But really - I think I only referred to it as funny once in the intro...now the badass thing a few weeks from now - okay, maybe I went overboard.

Perhaps going overboard would be the answer.  Repeatedly saying it was totally hilarious may have, through the use of irony, ended up with the effect that we know it's your reaction to the story, rather than the reaction you hope (or expect) to elicit from us.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

naum nurgle

• Extern
Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 10:51:13 AM
I was struck with a thought I have had in various forms a number of times; but did not think of posting it and then my name appeared in the Squonk feedback and I kinda feel obliged

This week I walked up to two colleagues talking about identity

One was Zulu and spoke of a pure bloodline with no European or other ancestry; the other a Coloured with family from the Western Cape, a historic creole culture from the 1600's and onward. The conversation got onto notions of tribalism, culture, identity and the claims they bring to land rights, ownership and notions of who can be seen, who can call themselves African. In South Africa our debates of race, culture, and identity are rich and diverse.

But our default is plurality; none would claim there is only one culture; we have no welcome to South Africa as if its a singular. The story reminded me of a common feeling I get from America and the students and academics I encounter; that there is a simple choice between the modern and the traditional, between the American and the not. How strange it would be to live in a place where the choice is so binary; so possible to make.

"Eu acreditaria somente num Deus que soubesse dançar."
(I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.)  Nietzsche

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 08:03:11 PM
What a sweet, craptacular story.

I just recently got back in touch, thanks to Facebook, with a friend I went to college with 20 years ago. He's looking for work, still lives in the suburb where he grew up in, still single, and yes, he's Greek. I told him he should move up to where I live, and he said, nawww. He likes where he is.

Hmmmm...if I didn't know any better...

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:38 PM
I just recently got back in touch, thanks to Facebook, with a friend I went to college with 20 years ago. He's looking for work, still lives in the suburb where he grew up in, still single, and yes, he's Greek. I told him he should move up to where I live, and he said, nawww. He likes where he is.

Hmmmm...if I didn't know any better...

You should at least send him this story.  :)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 10:57:54 PM
The story itself was pretty much all that eytanz wrote.  An enjoyable, amusing tale.  It will stick with me, but I think that might be for wishful thinking about the poo-eating nanobots cleaning up the Sound!

sorry for bumping an old thread, but this story DID sick with me, and in the local paper today, I came across a story in the local paper about a Professor at Stony Brook University who received a $50k grant...

From the article:
"Stony Brook will use the grant to focus on an invention by Perena Gouma, a professor in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering, and graduate student Jusang Lee called nanogrids, which the university described as “miniaturized self-supported mats, similar to fishing nets” that float on water and use solar energy to rapidly decompose crude oil and other pollutants."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/stony-brook-gets-50g-research-grant-1.3234885

:o