Author Topic: Warner Brothers somehow thinks Buffy sans Whedon is a good idea.  (Read 7482 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
http://io9.com/5696522/its-really-happening-warner-brothers-reboots-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-without-joss-whedon

Seriously. W              T            F.

I like all the fanboy rage unleashing in the comments section, though. :p

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
I was just about to post this. Same reaction.

Is there a writer/director/producer more sinned against than Whedon?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

eytanz

I just view this as an opportunity to save 7 pounds on the ticket.

deflective

• Hipparch
how could it be considered canon without using season eight comics?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Yeesh. I heard they were actually considering this, but I'm suprised they're actually going through with it.

You'd think they'd at least court Whedon to get his blessing/support. Otherwise, this just seems like they're setting themselves up for failure.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Franchise + Fanbase = CASH!

cha-ching!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Whedon's thoughts on the matter (allegedly): http://au.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

Ha! That's one Batman movie I'd definitely see.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Franchise + Fanbase = CASH!

cha-ching!

Minus huge portion of the fanbase. A good chunk of that fanbase are Whedonites.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Whedon's thoughts on the matter (allegedly): http://au.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

Ha! That's one Batman movie I'd definitely see.
That's a hilarious response! If Whedon didn't actually say this, he should claim he did.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
http://io9.com/5696522/its-really-happening-warner-brothers-reboots-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-without-joss-whedon

I might want to check it out. Whedon fanbois are an odd species.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 02:27:47 PM

As a Whedon fan, I agree! :p

(although you couldn't pay me enough money to see Warner Brother's forthcoming monstrous waste of time).

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:17 PM
I'm probably going to hell for this, but... I actually don't think Whedon is that great a writer. I mean, sure, he has some great ideas. We have Whedon t thank for the basic set-up for Buffy and some of its better episodes, the basic set-up for Firefly and Dollhouse, and many of Dollhouse's episodes. However, the man has also written some monumentally stupid things. He gives characters inane and anticlimactic deaths, indulges in blatant and insulting geek self-hatred, doesn't think hard enough about big issues, and really sucks at writing long story arcs (which is why his shows keep getting canceled). And let's not forget that Whedon was behind Serenity (full disclosure: I hated Serenity and usually pretend that it never happened - "Neat, you have the Serenity roleplaying game?" "I have the Firefly roleplaying game; there was a printing error.").

I think Buffy without Whedon isn't as bad as, say, Sandman without Gaiman. It's more like Star Trek without Roddenberry. It might suck, but I maintain that it might be awesome. It might be awesomer than our wildest dreams. A writer, better than Whedon, might take Whedon's original ideas in a new and interesting direction. If it looks good in trailers and reviews, I might check it out.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 04:25:32 PM
Well everyone's entitled to their opinions. I totally disagree with your assessment and think the movie will be a colossal piece of crap, but if you're willing to subject yourself to that, good luck. :p

And I loved 'Serenity,' except for the Wash thing, for which I will never forgive Whedon ever. :p

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 05:22:20 PM

As a Whedon fan, I agree! :p

I meant, I might want to check out the display of fanboi rage. Not interested in a new Buffy film; I saw the first because my then-girlfriend was hot for Rutger Hauer, and I've never watched the TV show.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:23:45 PM
Whedon isn't awesome all the time, but you have to admit that he DOES write some of the snappiest dialogue around.  Unless they can get that zing back, there's just not that much to Buffy.  It could easily descend into campy hell.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 01:24:51 AM
Part of Whedon's awesomeness is that he surrounds himself with other great writers and pretty much gives them free reign with his world. That's how Buffy seemed to me, anyway. Have a look at how many eps were written by Whedon and how many other were written by his regular posse -- Jane Espenson, for example.

Compare that with, say, Babylon 5 where for much of seasons 3, 4 and 5 it was JMS doing the writing. The eps from the end of S3 and beginning of S4 contain both some of the most affecting stuff I've ever seen, and some of the most hackneyed, clunky stuff I've ever seen. I don't think one person can consistently write well (for TV), it's much more of a group effort.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 08:37:12 AM
The last few years of Buffy on telly were, for me, pretty poor, it's why I've shown no interest in the Buffyverse after either that or the Angel TV show finished, so I probably wouldn't have watched this film if Whedon was involved and revealed he had a time machine to get the original TV cast from five or six years ago to star in it.

It just amuses me that culture now moves so fast that a show that was still going within the last decade is now in the 'classic' status and needs a remake that will be a homage to the original, maybe since she doesn't appear to be doing anything else any more Sarah Michelle Gellar could play Buffy's mother?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:33 PM
The last few years of Buffy on telly were, for me, pretty poor, it's why I've shown no interest in the Buffyverse after either that or the Angel TV show finished, so I probably wouldn't have watched this film if Whedon was involved and revealed he had a time machine to get the original TV cast from five or six years ago to star in it.

I'd say the shows suffered most when he had too many irons in the fire. When he was working on Buffy, Angel, and Firefly all at the same time, the ones with the least direct attention fared the worst. The more direct attention available, the better the product. Angel fared the worst, but it shined when it was the only show, as the final season was pretty fantastic.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:52:16 PM
It just amuses me that culture now moves so fast that a show that was still going within the last decade is now in the 'classic' status and needs a remake that will be a homage to the original....

Reminds me of what Frank Zappa once said about "instant death by nostalgia" or something. I'd have to go back to The Real Frank Zappa Book to get the exact text.