Author Topic: the cape  (Read 7811 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: November 22, 2010, 09:53:30 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYfJSZZpia0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PYfJSZZpia0</a>

it's been a while since we had a costumed superhero from the networks.
i'm not sure about the show but it's interesting that it's being made.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:26:53 PM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:47:10 PM
fair enough, my point wasn't really clear in this thread.

smallville took years to introduce costumes.  by that time it wasn't so much a costumed superhero show as a show where the characters occasionally put on a costumes...  tho i may be talking bullshit here, i don't watch the show.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:48:47 PM by deflective »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:17:20 AM
Ahem?.

Did Smallville finally get around to Clark putting on the costume? (I've never watched it, but the Geek Tragedy Podcast guys keep grousing that the show's overstayed it's welcome and it's long past time Clark Kent became Superman.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:59 PM
I haven't watched it since Season 1 - but I'm pretty sure there are at least other costumes in Smallville, even if Clark's not one of them. (Green Arrow, frex.)

I haven't yet been able to muster too much excitement for The Cape, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. But it just doesn't really sing to me for some reason. It seems like a generic storyline - essentially: Jim Gordon becomes the Batman. Like I said, though - I'd love to be proved wrong.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:37:14 PM
I haven't watched it since Season 1 - but I'm pretty sure there are at least other costumes in Smallville, even if Clark's not one of them. (Green Arrow, frex.)

I haven't yet been able to muster too much excitement for The Cape, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. But it just doesn't really sing to me for some reason. It seems like a generic storyline - essentially: Jim Gordon becomes the Batman. Like I said, though - I'd love to be proved wrong.

You're right about The Cape. I read the pilot script. It's a generic Batman knockoff.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:30 PM
As someone with a dirty, dirty Smallville addiction--they're still dancing around him wearing the cape, but we've seen the cape and it definitely exists now in the show, as well as in the flashes to the future. But I think the point is that the Smallville heroes are clearly costumes-in-training, whereas with other shows, such as Misfits the, er, not-quite-heroes will not be costumed. *SPOILER* Unless, as the last episode hinted at, they are.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:19:41 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 11:27:11 PM
It seems like a generic storyline - essentially: Jim Gordon becomes the Batman. Like I said, though - I'd love to be proved wrong.

yeah, the show itself seems uninspired.  i guess a costumed superhero show is already too much risk for the network execs, everything else needs to be reassuringly familiar.

Misfits the, er, not-quite-heroes will not be costumed.

i've been impressed with the second season so far.  the first season was passable in a 'uk accents are fun to listen to' way but the second is really taking it in an interesting direction.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:28:19 AM
The first season was basically a halfway-decent fantasy version of Skins, but the last episode of the first season and the first two episodes of this season have really sparkled.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:47:33 AM
NO CAPES!

(Sorry. I had to do it.)

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:17 PM

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:54 PM
So did anybody watch it? I finally got to the pilot last night. Yeah, it's kind of "Jim Gordon becomes Batman" but Keith David in a regular supporting part is always made of WIN, and I really like his character in this.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:50 PM
It had its moments, but it had a whole lot of rampant stupid, too. Meh....

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:16 PM
It had its moments, but it had a whole lot of rampant stupid, too. Meh....

Yeah, I'm not even as nice as you about it. For the 48 minutes of torture that The Crap (er, I mean Cape) offered I thought of the other things I'd enjoy more, including but not limited to -

Draining my wife's cancer surgery drains (but I'd done that before the show so no escape for me)

Shoveling 18 deep of snow off my driveway and walkway after pulling my tank-tread equipped and yet immobile 1000 pound snowblower all the way back up the driveway into the garage after the transmission belts exploded in the middle of the road as I was trying to turn it around. Sadly again no escape for me as that happened at 7AM.

Punching myself repeatedly in the face, but I get woozy at the sight of my own blood.

I'd already washed all the dishes, folded the kid's laundry, cleaned both bathrooms, and prepared an agenda for the upcoming writers' group meeting for the writer's group I accidentally started six weeks ago. So I'd effectively run out of self immolation. I could have watched an episode of "Bones" but even I don't stoop to the idiocy of that show unless I'm under extreme duress (i.e. my wife is already watching it).

I actually have the pilot script for The Cape here and have had it for some time. If they'd gone with the original idea of having him burned into the Chess mask so that he couldn't effectively clear his name the rest of the show would have made a whole hell of a lot more sense. But they didn't, so instead of officer whateverhisnameis (surviving two explosions that would have liquified his organs) he becomes a bad GCI using vigilante instead of just walking into the District Attorney's office and dropping the dime on the owner of the private security company who had already monologued his whole evil plan twice.

The Cape makes No Ordinary Family look like Justice League Unlimited.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:54 PM
What killed my WSoD was his escape into the tunnel under the train. Big explosion, yeah, but they figure him for dead without recovering any human remains from the blast?  :-\

Still... I like Keith David.

Wit Amidst Folly

• Extern
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:17 AM
After watching the third episode all I can say is Fuck This Show

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:07 PM
I love the idea behind it -- not trying to be something special, just a fun adventure-a-week comic book hero show with all of the trappings that go with that.  And the actors are great: James Frain, Keith David, Summer Glau, and even David Lyons.

But I agree with y'all.  The writing and execution kind of stink.  It's really too bad.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:21:27 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 06:40:17 PM
The show is not that good. But because there really isn't anything else out there I will watch it. I do like the fact the Keith David is already at odds with the Cape and it looks like a showdown soon. GOD I NEED GAME OF THRONES ON HBO SOON!!!!

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:24 PM
!!! I'm 76% through the first book, and I'm super psyched for that show to come on!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:31 AM
Amen, brother. Amen.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)