Author Topic: Successful query letter for longer than avg short stories  (Read 3263 times)

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
I've got a horror story that clocks in about 11,000 words and there are a couple of markets that request queries for something that long. I was wondering if anyone had a successful letter in this situation and might not mind letting me use it as a template for my own.

Thanks.

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:14 PM
First, do they say "query for longer"? If not, don't bother.

If they do, however, this is usually what I say:

Mr. Editor,

Greetings. I am writing to query you about my story "This Is Very Long", which is 11,000 words -- 2,000 over your stated limit. As your submission guidelines suggest that we query first, that is what I am doing.

"This Is Very Long" is a story about x, who does y, in the face of z. (This part is usually a 2-3 sentence paragraph teasing the story.)

Please let me know if you would be interested in reading "This Is Very Long", and I will send it via the usual submission method.

Thanks.

Listener

Two notes:

1. The editor may say "send it directly to me", in which case, bypass the normal submission method and send it directly. But if s/he doesn't offer that option, don't do it. However, when you submit normally, make sure to reference your successful query (I also attach a copy to the e-mail) and the editor who approved your longer submission by name.

2. Never attach the story when you send the query. Always wait for a response.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:35 AM
Listener's suggestion is mostly what I would say, though I feel that unless they're semi-reguarly are running stories in your long one's ballpark it's probably not going to be successful.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:48:29 AM
Thanks.

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward