Author Topic: How not to react to reviews:  (Read 3721 times)

Gamercow

• Hipparch
on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:02 PM
Not sure if any of you have seen this going around the twitterverse, but I got it in my feed, and after reading, felt it would be beneficial to show self-publishers how NOT to react to reviews.   :o

http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/2011/03/greek-seaman-jacqueline-howett.html

In short, reviewer says that story is generally good, but could use some editing.  Author replies with very harsh response saying "You didn't get the updated copy" and "You don't understand me or my style."  Reviewer comes back, says "I got the updated copy, here are examples of bad grammar."  Author blows up, commenters say WTF, author tells them to "Fuck Off" in those exact words. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:38 PM
I'm not a huge there-must-be-gatekeepers-with-copy-editors kind of guy, but live by the self-published ebook, die by the self-published ebook.

And seriously: The Greek Seaman. Does not pass the random sentient sixth-grader test.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:06 PM
Scott Sigler's "blow me" is hard to top  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:31:34 AM
wow, the best part was when she claimed there was nothing wrong with her writing, even though the examples given were clearly incredibly difficult to parse, especially given the abject lack of punctuation. Note to self - don't be a self-righteous asshole when responding to reviews.

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:19:54 PM
It's behaviour like hers that makes me realise I have a long way to go if I'm going to compete in the self opinionated, ignorant, diva stakes. And there was me thinking I was pretty darn good at that!

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:11 AM

Unbelievable.

That is "discusting" behaviour.

Surely this isn't real?