Author Topic: PC Miniature 58: Before The Uprising  (Read 13432 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 03:09:41 PM
Well, Tinygaia said earlier that my penis disqualifies me from joining in on whatever it is they're doing.  :P

Ha, that's right, I'd forgotten about that, although I think tinygaia described it as "girl-power" rather than bashing men, not necessarily the same thing.  I didn't find it necessarily supportive or bashing of any gender, but I can see where that conclusion could come from.

soapturtle

• Extern
    • soapturtle.net
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:38 PM
Really liked the reader on this one.

And I don't think it was meant to be gender-bashing so much as the story of resistance and rebellion against oppression and the oppressors just happened to be male.

You could easily make minor changes and it would be reversed.  Grandmothers to Grandfathers, little sisters to little brothers, etc.

When asked nicely, I sometimes read things for people on the internet.
Blog : Voice : Twitter: @soapturtle

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 03:30:35 AM
Yes, because nothing is more gendered than bicycles.  That makes a ton of sense.

That brings up funny memories for me.  A male friend of mine and I once went to a workshop about bike repair advertised as for people who know nothing about bikes.  Nothing about gender on the surface.  The motivation for this was that we'd both been getting a great deal of shit from respective lady friends about such mechanical ineptness (both of them were considerably handy with a hex wrench).

Anyway we went, under light duress, only to find that we were the only males there.  Afterwards the woman that ran it came up to us and told us we couldn't come back because we made the women there nervous since men know so much about mechanical things and we made them self conscious.  This was only for people who needed to learn these things, specifically women.

He and I were both completely clueless about these things, and remain so to this day.  It remains a running joke that bicycles are the most sexist mode of transportation.  But at the moment, we were both speechless.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:33:00 AM by Umbrageofsnow »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:50 PM
Yes, because nothing is more gendered than bicycles.  That makes a ton of sense.

That brings up funny memories for me.  A male friend of mine and I once went to a workshop about bike repair advertised as for people who know nothing about bikes.  Nothing about gender on the surface.  The motivation for this was that we'd both been getting a great deal of shit from respective lady friends about such mechanical ineptness (both of them were considerably handy with a hex wrench).

Anyway we went, under light duress, only to find that we were the only males there.  Afterwards the woman that ran it came up to us and told us we couldn't come back because we made the women there nervous since men know so much about mechanical things and we made them self conscious.  This was only for people who needed to learn these things, specifically women.

He and I were both completely clueless about these things, and remain so to this day.  It remains a running joke that bicycles are the most sexist mode of transportation.  But at the moment, we were both speechless.

Ha!  Great story, I totally would have gone there too.  Funny how some gender roles of knowledge have such heavy weight on them in general society.  A man suggesting that a woman needs a group to help understand bicycles would generally be labeled as sexist.  A man being turned away from such a group for being a man is just another permutation of the same.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:07:31 PM by Unblinking »

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:32 PM
Wow.

That.

Was.

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

I really loved this story when it came through in the contest. Loved the reading.

Though I have to agree with Unblinking. Umbrage, kudos for you going to that. Sort of ridiculous that they kick you out of the workshop because they think you already know how to fix things. ::shrug::

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly