Author Topic: Best Escape Pod of 2010 - the Poll  (Read 5459 times)

eytanz

on: February 03, 2011, 05:10:18 PM
So, after a nomination round, 11 stories got 2 nominations or more. Because the number of nominees is smaller than last year - not, I think, because of reduced interest, but because there were some stories that were beloved to a degree that they got more nominations that the rest - we'll be after the top 3 stories this time.

So, please vote for the top three stories you thought were the best, and in 30 days we can crown the top Escape Story of 2010.

I'm allowing people to change their votes, so poll results will be hidden until the poll is over.

(In case anyone is interested, as the person running the poll, I'm going to sit it out and I'll only contribute a tie-breaking vote if more than 3 stories get the top score).

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:57:37 PM
I'm allowing people to change their votes, so poll results will be hidden until the poll is over.

I was able to see the results even before I voted.  I think this is a setting you can change without resetting the poll.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

eytanz

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:28:20 PM
The setting is set correctly - maybe you can see the results because you are a moderator?

Can anyone who isn't a mod check and see if they can see the results?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:34:30 PM
I just voted and I don't see the results, just my votes bold-faced.

Edited Feb 8, to fix stupid typo.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:13:02 AM by CryptoMe »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:02:08 PM
The setting is set correctly - maybe you can see the results because you are a moderator?

Oh yeah, I forgot.   :D

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:39 PM
But how will I game the system to ensure that the correct stories win, now?

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:12:44 AM
You could loudly announce your votes for some stories, in the hopes that you drive people to voting for the stories you really want them to vote for.  No one can see your vote either to see if you are gaming them. 8)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:10 AM
You could loudly announce your votes for some stories, in the hopes that you drive people to voting for the stories you really want them to vote for.  No one can see your vote either to see if you are gaming them. 8)

I LOUDLY ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE VOTED!!!

eytanz

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:20:56 PM
Just a quick reminder to everyone, the poll ends on Friday - if you haven't voted yet, now it's a good time to do so!

(btw, at the moment there is a tie for 1st place, so your vote may very well end up being the deciding one!)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:48:17 PM by eytanz »

eytanz

Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:05:26 AM
And with the poll closed, all that's left is to congratulate Bridesicle for coming first! A well-deserved victory for the 2010 Hugo winner. Eugene was neck-and-neck with it for a while, but Bridesicle pulled forwarded in the last few days.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:01 AM
I'm mildly surprised The Speed Of Dreams got as far as it did. I liked it but IIRC opinion was divided.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:31 AM
I'm definitely least in touch with the EP audience; "Bridesicle" and "Eugene" were probably my two least favorite of the available selections.  ("Eugene" was nice enough, but "How I Mounted Goldie" was a very similar story that was just superior in every possible way, for me.)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:33:19 PM
I'm definitely least in touch with the EP audience; "Bridesicle" and "Eugene" were probably my two least favorite of the available selections.  ("Eugene" was nice enough, but "How I Mounted Goldie" was a very similar story that was just superior in every possible way, for me.)

I enjoyed Bridesicle, and thought it was the best of a field of nominees where none of them really stood out to me, but I agree with you about Eugene vs Goldie.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:01:35 PM
"Bridesicle" wasn't bad.  I just didn't find it very interesting.  I was really strongly affected by several of the other stories ("Spar" and "The Speed of Dreams") and "We Are Ted Tuscadero" still makes me smile with its textbook-perfect dramatic irony.  I dunno.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:55 PM
'Bridesicle' was for me the most moving of the lot, although my personal favorite just for the sheer delight of it was 'Smidgeon' (funnest story EVAR. Except for 'Let us now praise..' on Drabblecast).

It's fairly rare I have much of an emotional reaction to a short story really, BC is one of those exceptions. I guess I just really connected with the protagonist and her situation somehow.