Author Topic: YASID (Yet Another Story I.D.)  (Read 4044 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:15 PM
Would somebody help me here please? I'm trying to retrieve the title of a story featured on one of the EA 'casts (most likely Escape Pod); I don't remember the plot -- what I mostly remember is that the readers were probably supposed to assume the characters were typical humans, but at the end it was revealed that they were some completely different not-even-remotely-human species. Furthermore, this kind of device could only work within the written (or spoken) word; presenting it as a graphic novel or teleplay would have made the "twist" obvious.

I ask because the book I'm currently reading, Sheri S. Tepper's The Family Tree, is revealed to be doing exactly the same thing about three-quarters into the book, and that EA story came to mind when I reached the reveal in The Family Tree.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:46 AM
Was it the one with the aliens who smelled everything and had no ability to receive sound or visual information?  (Was that even on Escape Pod?)

I know the trope you're talking about, definitely...

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:39:06 AM
The story "Planet of the Apes" does that too.  I'm not sure the trope has a name beyond "withheld information" - or maybe "pissing off the reader."

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:53:29 AM
The trope is called Tomato Surprise.

Originally named by Analog, interestingly enough.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:10:49 PM
Was it the one with the aliens who smelled everything and had no ability to receive sound or visual information?  (Was that even on Escape Pod?)

Can't be sure; all I remember is that the physical description of the characters suddenly became relevant at the very end and that's when it was revealed that they weren't humans. I don't even recall whether they were extraterrestrials, or some other earth-bound species.

And it was almost certainly on EP, possibly on PP or PC, but since those are the only story podcasts I listen to now, it couldn't have been any other. Well, maybe Variant Frequencies but the Stringers and Wallace closed up shop quite some time ago; I don't think it was there.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:17 PM
The story "Planet of the Apes" does that too.  I'm not sure the trope has a name beyond "withheld information" - or maybe "pissing off the reader."

Not quite; Planet of the Apes uses a "withheld info" trope as well, but it's the "Earth All Along" trope, not the one I'm talking about above.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:21:51 PM
Did you read last year's Flash Fiction entries?  If so, it might be you're thinking of this story.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:45 PM
Did you read last year's Flash Fiction entries?  If so, it might be you're thinking of this story.

If it didn't make it into audio form, then I don't know that story.