Author Topic: Words have meanings.  (Read 9324 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:59 AM
And, although hearing "propriety" pronounced "propety" was a touch jarring, I thought Amy's reading was generally good.

I heard it as "property", and the same day I heard this story (today), I also listened to "Endosymbiont" wherein Mur Lafferty said "palpitate" when context tells me that the word should be "palpate". It is jarring, and pulls me out of the story, when the reader says the wrong word.

Not sure what can be done about it; I'm just saying.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:51 AM

Yes, I'm not sure what they're up to here either, but I agree that it's totally rude.  I guess we can only hope to god that these assholes will stop trying so hard to jarr us out of stories. 
Always read every word perfectly you heartless sons of bitches, that's all we're asking!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:39 AM
Eskoos me, but I b'leev I already have the sardonic mockery quotient of the forums well in hand?  :-P

(I hate how badly facebook has infected everything that I want a "Like" button everywhere.)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:21 PM
Eskoos me, but I b'leev I already have the sardonic mockery quotient of the forums well in hand?  :-P

(I hate how badly facebook has infected everything that I want a "Like" button everywhere.)

You want a like button, I want a killfile.  Neither of us about to get what we want.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:57:16 PM

Stephen Karnas likes this.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:30:36 AM
... I also listened to "Endosymbiont" wherein Mur Lafferty said "palpitate" when context tells me that the word should be "palpate". It is jarring, and pulls me out of the story, when the reader says the wrong word.

I remember that one. It caused me to disengage too, but not enough to demand that we start a class action suite.
 ;)

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 02:23:18 PM

You want a like button, I want a killfile.  Neither of us about to get what we want.
I've always wanted a "middle finger" button. I figure if you are going to click 'dislike' why not just go all the way? Of course, I've always wanted a 'shens' button, a 'sarcasm' button.... and a pony.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

12obin

• Extern
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 07:20:01 PM

Yes, I'm not sure what they're up to here either, but I agree that it's totally rude.  I guess we can only hope to god that these assholes will stop trying so hard to jarr us out of stories. 
Always read every word perfectly you heartless sons of bitches, that's all we're asking!

I mean...Nobody needs to be taken out and shot or anything, but retakes are possible. It's not like they'd have to do it perfectly the first time.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 07:57:28 PM
I mean...Nobody needs to be taken out and shot or anything, but retakes are possible. It's not like they'd have to do it perfectly the first time.

Retakes are possible if the reader is aware that they made a mistake. If they're not, and it's only caught later, in post-production, then the podcast's ability to chase down the reader and get them to re-record is limited.

Remember, there's a selection bias going on here - whenever there's an error in the podcast that the readers catch, that means it's an error that wasn't fixed. If there's an error that was fixed, we'll never be aware of it. So, presumably, whenever we hear a mistake, it may well be because circumstances meant it couldn't be fixed, and that if it could have been fixed, it would have been.

Scribblor

• Extern
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 02:43:08 PM
I listened to the audiobook version of Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat", and all the way through the narrator said 'casual' instead of 'causal'. It was so consistent that in the end I checked my local library's copy to make sure the word wasn't actually 'casual' (it wasn't).
It was incredibly jarring, but it was clearly an honest mistake.