Author Topic: PC Miniature 60: Cranberry Honey  (Read 11253 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 19, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
PodCastle Miniature 60: Cranberry Honey

By Amal El-Mohtar

Read by Marguerite Croft

Originally Published in The Honey Month

There is fire in his wrists, fire in his walk, fire beneath his fingernails. He is red, redder than rowan berries, for rowan doesn’t bleed as cranberries do, and it is cranberries that he gathers and stews and crushes, cranberries in which he steeps his skin.

It is not white, he says, that is pure. It is not black. It is red, because it moves, it changes, and it keeps itself always. It is not static as fossilized wood, not delicate as new-fallen snow. When red seeks to be its truest self, it is in motion. It fears no change.

He has shrugged at Paracelsus, at Tarot cards, at accusations of devilry. Red is his religion. He squeezes berry juice onto his eyelids, swallows it nine times a day. He wants the redness to spill from him like a scent, that sleeping creatures might dream in garnet tones.

Rated R: Contains Adult Themes. And Lots of Red

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:43:49 PM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

HomespunDreamer

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:11:18 PM
I've not finished listening yet, but I want to say, Yay! more Amal Mohtar!

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:24:12 AM
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I could have heard some of the other "honey" stories...

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:55 PM
As with the Flash contest, I found this story very rich with imagery, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much from a personal perspective.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 06:01:36 PM
Hey everyone - for anyone interested in The Honey Month, you can go to Amal El-Mohtar's blog and check it out.

Specifically, Cranberry Honey can also be read here :)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 06:37:35 PM
I really loved this story. It was brilliant, dreamlike, and beautiful. It definitely succeeds in making me want to read The Honey Month.

And, also, to eat some honey.

Mmmm...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:45:42 PM
Thanks for posting the link Dave! :)

I must say, Amal always creates such wonderful atmosphere with her pieces. The story itself kind of bemused me, but wow, the atmosphere of it! To me it's much closer to poetry than prose.

*SPOILERS Begin*

Speaking of which, can I request some help in interpreting the end? This part:
He is in all they do, their most precious drone; they love him like a fine day. They look after him in their fashion. In turns blessed as the seasons the bees go out, burrow into their sisters’ bodies, sing their gladdest thanks against his lips. They go bearing their darkest honey, the densest, the best, the closest to the red they can never quite achieve, the redness that is his, only his. One by one, they place a drop on his tongue like a sacrament.

really sounds to me like they are bringing him blood? Or is it just honey that they've managed to dye red? I've listened twice and read it carefully and I still can't decide... :-\

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:06 PM
Thanks for posting the link Dave! :)

I must say, Amal always creates such wonderful atmosphere with her pieces. The story itself kind of bemused me, but wow, the atmosphere of it! To me it's much closer to poetry than prose.

*SPOILERS Begin*

Speaking of which, can I request some help in interpreting the end? This part:
He is in all they do, their most precious drone; they love him like a fine day. They look after him in their fashion. In turns blessed as the seasons the bees go out, burrow into their sisters’ bodies, sing their gladdest thanks against his lips. They go bearing their darkest honey, the densest, the best, the closest to the red they can never quite achieve, the redness that is his, only his. One by one, they place a drop on his tongue like a sacrament.

really sounds to me like they are bringing him blood? Or is it just honey that they've managed to dye red? I've listened twice and read it carefully and I still can't decide... :-\
Am I wrong to think the guy died and they were incorporating his cranberry corpse into the honey?

amalmohtar

• Palmer
    • Voices on the Midnight Air
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:44:24 AM
Halloo! I just wanted to drop in and thank you guys for listening, as well as point out that the version of "Cranberry Honey" you hear has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit the parameters of the contest. :) But that said, the version that Dave linked was the very first draft; in re-running the initial blog entries that made up The Honey Month, I commented on how that version changed to what's in the book, which, minus about fifty words, is what you've heard on PodCastle. This is the post where I talk about the changes.

That's all! I am now happily leaning back to read more commentary before weighing in on any ambiguities. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:47:42 AM by Ocicat »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
Time to go check out my fresh downloads. This was my favorite from the flash contest (Fetch was a close second). I'm looking forward to hearing it.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:46:50 PM
So you won't feel alone, Listener, i'll chime in here and echo your opinion. It felt much more like poetry than prose. Perhaps that was the point. As much as i hate to admit it, i've just never been a huge fan or poetry.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:03 AM
Time to go check out my fresh downloads. This was my favorite from the flash contest (Fetch was a close second). I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Blasphemy!

(Actually, I'd have voted for this over "Fetch."  In fact, I did vote for it over "Fetch.")

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:17 AM

Blasphemy!

(Actually, I'd have voted for this over "Fetch."  In fact, I did vote for it over "Fetch.")

Blasphemy!

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:33 AM

Blasphemy!

Or classy. :)

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 12:17:36 PM
voting for yourself is all kinds of narcissistic.

Nice story. As usual with fantasy flash i wanted more to sink my teeth into. Probably one of my favourites that I've listened to so far. I'm usually a fan of Amal El-Mohtar's work.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:45 PM
voting for yourself is all kinds of narcissistic.

Or just good gamesmanship :) With the flash contests, it wasn't like the general populace could see your votes. Only you (and maybe the mods) know who you voted for. I seem to recall some lively debate of this topic during the last Flash contest.

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:19 PM
I actively hated this thing in the flash fiction contest (and still do). It's the fiction equivalent of confetti.

Funny enough El-Mohtar also wrote one of my favorites, "Sparrow and Egg."  :)

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

amalmohtar

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:40 PM
I actively hated this thing in the flash fiction contest (and still do). It's the fiction equivalent of confetti.

*buffs nails*
*has range*

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:33 PM

*buffs nails*
*has range*

Gaaah! If you mention her name she is summoned!  :o

I just found it funny that you were behind two stories which I reacted to at completely opposite ends of the love/hate spectrum.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

amalmohtar

• Palmer
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:32 AM
I SEE ALL!

It's totally cool! I really am sincerely kind of pleased that I've written two things that have provoked such opposite reactions. :)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:59 AM

I just found it funny that you were behind two stories which I reacted to at completely opposite ends of the love/hate spectrum.

I had exactly the same reactions in the flash fiction contest, and also found it interesting when the authors were revealed.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:58:04 PM

I had exactly the same reactions in the flash fiction contest, and also found it interesting when the authors were revealed.

I was the other way around.  I didn't hate "Sparrow and Egg," but it was very, very far from my favorite.  Just a bit too twee and heart-warming for my bitter, blackened soul to swallow comfortably.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:38 AM
I SEE ALL!

Yeah, that "notify" button is pretty useful...  ;D

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 03:14:16 PM
I SEE ALL!