Author Topic: Grandma, why are your eyes so almondy? (split off EP280: Endosymbiont)  (Read 13864 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
But it's still not a flaw in science that people misuse it.  You might as well say that "a historical flaw of rocks is that people misuse them."  Yes, rocks can be thrown at heads or through windows, but this doesn't make rocks less awesome in themselves.  Rocks are cool.  People using a tool badly is not a problem with the tool.

And actually, I'd apply the same argument to religion.  Religion has many useful features in itself, ranging from encouraging compliance with moral strictures for people with weak internal motivations to fostering a sense of community to creating a support network for a community with individuals in need.  Dismissing all religion because the concepts have been misused or abused in the past would be just as much an error as saying that science is a flawed tool because people have used it in flawed ways in the past.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Tools have records of use.  Science has a record of use.  In my first post you'll remember I said science was a crappy tool for swaying opinion.  Yes, science is a tool.  And like guns, there's stuff it's awful at.  

is this science or rhetoric? http://xkcd.com/radiation/  I would say science.  And as such, could, and should be used for swaying opinion.  Another example is the full moon.  Think it's bigger nearer the horizon?  Look at it upside down, and suddenly, it's small again.  That's science that can be used to sway opinions.  

Edited to add:  I think that XKCD infographic is such a superb piece of work, and more informative and useful than 99.5% of the rhetoric involved with the Japanese nuclear crisis. Some people are still too dim to understand even that picture, but at that point, it is not even worth trying.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:59:23 PM by Gamercow »

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Gamercow

• Hipparch
So to turn the question around (and getting back on topic), how would one describe Asian eyes? I know with N.K. Jemisin wrote a post to brainstorm different ways to describe brown skin. (I like describe mine as brewed Lipton tea, myself). Is there a similar one for Asian features?

As Anton Checkhov said, and Wil Wheaton re-tweeted today: "Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."  Or, as another author told me, "In a story, try to find other ways of describing things and people that don't sound like answers in a police interview."  I have a hard time with this, myself, because a)I'm not a good writer and b)I have a brain trained for scientific papers and essays, where descriptions are straight and factual and often clunky. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I have a brain trained for scientific papers and essays, where descriptions are straight and factual and often clunky. 

Like the "Factually Accurate Love Song"?

(NOTE: That's a direct link to an MP3 by a band named Flat 29.  If you just want to go to the page it's on, click here.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
So it's probably been a few weeks since I logged in.

How in the hell did all of this spawn from one disgruntled comment about a literary cliche?  :D

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
So it's probably been a few weeks since I logged in.

How in the hell did all of this spawn from one disgruntled comment about a literary cliche?  :D

Don't question it... just enjoy the ride.  :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising