Author Topic: Submissions situation  (Read 17596 times)

Westlake

• Extern
on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:40 PM
Hi all.

I've tried e-mailing at the appropriate addresses several times but haven't had any replies so far. So I'm trying here instead.

I'm just wondering: what's the score at the moment with regards to submissions and responses? I submitted a story back in September 2010, and have not yet heard anything. I've also queried a few times, but have had no response. I'm guessing Mur and co are very busy, but the silence is starting to make me think my story never reached them in the first place.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Like I said, I understand Mur's probably bogged-down etc. But as a writer, after seven or eight months... I've got to check, y'know?

Cheers,

J.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:53:03 PM
Hi,

Can you email me directly at bill at escape artists dot net? I believed that all the stories from that far back had been answered.

Extremely sorry for the wait,
--Bill
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:54:41 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Westlake

• Extern
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:51 PM
Sure thing, will do so now!

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:53:09 PM
My sub is only from the 25th of January but I have tried emailing just to find out the status and received no reply. Should I worry yet?  :)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:18:33 AM
My sub is only from the 25th of January but I have tried emailing just to find out the status and received no reply. Should I worry yet?  :)

I'll check once I get Soundproof up, but I'm nearly certain I sent you a response earlier this week.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:10 AM
I definitely haven't received anything yet. Thanks for checking =)

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:32:08 AM
Hi Bill,

I'm also in the same lifepod with a submission sent on January 5, 2011, and a query sent March 20, 2011.  Any word?

Thanks!
Sandra
smodell1995@yahoo.com

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:59 AM
Ok, so since I appear to have missed at least a few queries (and very sorry that I did), I'll sticky this topic so we can have these kind of inquires in one place (though, you know, still email queries first).

Commenting more broadly on where we are with submissions, there are still several stories from January that we're nearly done with, and then more in the months that came after that. I wouldn't be worried if you have a story from January or February that hasn't gotten an answer. We'll likely close for submissions next month.

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:09 AM
Thanks very much =D

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:57:25 AM
Thanks for the update.  Um, in the interest in fairness, exactly how much chocolate would it take to make the acceptance cut?  Just, you know, asking and stuff.   ;D

Sandra

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:45:36 AM
Hey Bill,

is there any chance you can confirm my sub from the 25th of Jan? Not wanting to be a pest I just want to make sure you have it. I haven't tried emailing again yet but I still haven't received a reply to my previous emails.

Ta much,
Marc-Anthony
(gileadslostson@gmail.com)

cloudscudding

• Extern
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:09 PM
I also submitted a short story, "Salvaging Scottwell," on 7/6/10 and queried on 3/27/11. No response. I also tried querying through the feedback email address on 4/24/11. I'm kind of worried at this point that my email address has been flagged as spam or something, since I've heard nary a peep, so I'm afraid future submissions might meet the same (unknown) fate.

What should I do now?

Thanks,

Abra

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 05:48:18 PM
Just out of curiosity is anyone getting a response from the editor email address? I tried again last week and nothing.  :-\

Arturo Furna

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:17 AM
 :'( I also submitted a story, without any reply! What's the matter?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:43 PM
:'( I also submitted a story, without any reply! What's the matter?

I'm not the EP editor, but just wanted to make a general note:

Some magazines give automatic responses when a story has been submitted - kind of receipt confirmation. From the writer's side, it's honestly a nice thing.

At Escape Artists, we haven't migrated to that yet.

So just to say, if your complaint is that you submitted a story and didn't get an instant confirmation that it was received, that's par for the course. Otherwise, don't be surprised if it takes 60 days for Mur or Bill to get back to you.

I realize from the posts above that some people have waited longer (and others...a lot longer) than that. Bill should be along shortly to hopefully help sort that out. (Also, EP was/is closed for submissions between June 6th and August 1.) But Arturo's post made me think it wouldn't hurt to clarify some of this...

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:05 PM
Thanks for the update  :)

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:30 PM
Any updates?

gileadslostson

• Extern
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 04:00:14 PM
Received a reply on Sunday  ;D sorry it took so long to post.

mtb13

• Extern
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:54 AM
Hello, I also queried a few weeks ago (9/8) and have not received a reply.  I submitted the story "There's a Pill for That" on 1/26/11.  Would it be possible to confirm whether or not it's still under consideration?  Thanks!

Ethereon

• Extern
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:38 PM
Hi there.
My submission "Food for Thought," was sent to Escape Pod 25 March 2011 and I queried 14 September 2011. I haven't yet received a response and am just wondering if the story is still under consideration, or if it perhaps it was never received.
Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:34:31 PM by Ethereon »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 02:51:34 PM
I've had a submission pending at Escape Pod since June 4th, and I'd like to know if it's still being considered.  I sent a query to Bill on September 20th to check on the status, because Bill had suggested using that address previously,but I haven't heard back.  I tried sending a query to the editor address last week as well.

I'm wondering if my query ended up in a spam folder or something?  Or if the response somehow didn't make it to me (I've been checking my spam folder so it hasn't showed up there).  Could I get an update on the status of the submission?

Ken Schneyer

• Extern
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:33 AM
I'm in the same boat as David.  Currently I'm up to 290 days on my submission from January 2nd.  The main problem, though, is that I haven't received any replies to the four e-mail queries I sent, on May 5, June 3, August 11 and October 14.  I sent these queries variously to editor@escapepod.org, submit@escapepod.org, and feedback@escapepod.org.  If you guys have been replying to my e-mails, the replies haven't got through.

eytanz

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 05:53:55 AM
Ok, it's clear that there's an issue here with communication - I'm going to try to see if I have better luck getting through; can everyone who wants to get a status update on their submission please PM me with the following information:

- The name they used on the submission
- The title of the submission
- The date of the submission
- The email address they submitted from

And I will do my best to get an editor to either respond or to let me know so I can pass on the information back to you.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 02:51:05 PM
I am getting very frustrated with trying to simply find out the status of my submission.  This submission has reached the 6 month mark now, and all I know is that it was received.  Can someone please give me more information?

Honestly, if this were any magazine but an Escape Artist cast I would have withdrawn the story and crossed them off my submissions list.  Very long turnaround times are one thing, but it is very frustrating to not be able to get a straight response from a query.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:57 PM

savetherobot

• Extern
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 02:58:49 PM
I know this isn't a complete source, but if you look at Duotrope, Escape Pod hasn't responded to submissions in over 30 days -  the last time I saw responses was mid-October.

http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=205

Here are the other two Escape Artist podcasts: http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=1276 and http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=2262

Maybe Escape Pod has frozen for submissions?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 05:38:39 AM
I know this isn't a complete source, but if you look at Duotrope, Escape Pod hasn't responded to submissions in over 30 days -  the last time I saw responses was mid-October.

http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=205

Here are the other two Escape Artist podcasts: http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=1276 and http://www.duotrope.com/recentresponses.aspx?id=2262

Maybe Escape Pod has frozen for submissions?

I had no idea the watchmen were being watched. Interesting site.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 06:33:56 AM
If EP froze for submissions, nobody told us slushers.

Scott W Baker

• Matross
    • Chaos out of Chaos
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:33 AM
I know there are a great many authors wondering about the status of their Escape Pod submissions.  I want to know my story's fate so I can throw another back into the pile.  (I think that's called masochism.) 

There aren't even slush rejections coming down the pipe, or if there are, they aren't reaching Duotrope.  There is a clog in the drain somewhere.  The worst part for me is that I don't see evidence that it's being dealt with.  (This is not to suggest it is not being dealt with, just that I can't see it from my exterior vantage point.)  I'd like to see some sort of announcement regarding how long responses are currently expected to take.  Or perhaps to see submissions close until they're caught up.  (When I get behind grading things in my classes -- which happens periodically for a variety of reasons-- I stop collecting new homework until I've caught up.)  Or I'd like to see...something acknowledging the frustrations the writers are feeling. 

My submission is close to 300 days.  Honestly, I'm willing to wait a year to hear from Escape Pod.  I would, however, like to know I'm waiting a year before I send it.  And whether it has been received and added to the queue; I haven't received confirmation of that much.

This is a time for patience, no doubt.  This time of year is a beast for us all.  Maybe it'll be the new year before responses start trickling again.  Maybe March.  All I'm asking -- what I hope my colleagues are asking -- is to be informed. 

Scott W. Baker
EP #303: Leech Run
EP #359: Chasers

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 09:43:53 AM
Sadly, we slushers don't get informed as to what gets accepted and what doesn't - at least not until after something gets produced and is on the podcast feed.  However, I did read your Chasers story back in March, and I liked it and passed it along to editorial.  It's quite possible that it's still under consideration...

Scott W Baker

• Matross
    • Chaos out of Chaos
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 01:15:47 PM
Thanks Ocicat!  Glad to know it's in the system somewhere.  More than I knew before.  Now I can stew wait in improved comfort.

Scott W. Baker
EP #303: Leech Run
EP #359: Chasers

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 07:00:21 PM
I decided it was time to formally withdraw my submission (a collective sigh of relief from all that I shan't be pestering anymore).  I can handle long turnaround times, but I do expect to be able to get some kind of solid answer to a query after months of trying.  I at least want to know whether the story is still in consideration or if I'm just wasting my time waiting for nothing.

I hope I at least get a confirmation of the withdrawal.  If I don't, I don't think I'll take the effort to submit to Escape Pod again. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:16 PM
I really wish I could provide answers to these queries, but my own queries to the editors haven't been replied to either.  Neither mods nor slushers really know what's going on... I feel bad not knowing for you all!  :(

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:32 PM
I really wish I could provide answers to these queries, but my own queries to the editors haven't been replied to either.  Neither mods nor slushers really know what's going on... I feel bad not knowing for you all!  :(

Yeah, I've heard there seem to be internal communication problems too.  Thanks to you and to eytanz, Ocicat, and scattercat for trying to approach this from the inside!  I do appreciate the efforts you have put into it.

(edited to add in my good friend scattercat)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:32:03 PM by Unblinking »

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 01:30:14 PM
I really wish I could provide answers to these queries, but my own queries to the editors haven't been replied to either.  Neither mods nor slushers really know what's going on... I feel bad not knowing for you all!  :(

Yeah, I've heard there seem to be internal communication problems too.  Thanks to you and to eytanz and Ocicat for trying to approach this from the inside!  I do appreciate the efforts you have put into it.

>:-(

What am I, chopped liver?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:03 PM

Yeah, I've heard there seem to be internal communication problems too.  Thanks to you and to eytanz and Ocicat for trying to approach this from the inside!  I do appreciate the efforts you have put into it.

>:-(

What am I, chopped liver?

Sorry!  I'd talked about it to you via private Google Chat rather than public forum, so I I didn't know if it was appropriate to mention that here and I erred on the side of caution.  Have edited the original post to remedy.

mtb13

• Extern
Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 03:01:35 PM
Since there are so many slushers visiting this thread, would any of you happen to know if my story has been passed up, or even received?  (I don't know what kind of records you guys keep, if any.)  "There's a Pill For That", submitted 1/26/11.  Thanks!

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:43 AM
Received an email this morning with a rejection for a story submitted in August 2010.  Wow...forgot I even sent that one.   :o

According to Mur's very polite, wry humor, some stories were misfiled and they hope to catch up.  Here's hoping other folks hear back soon.

And hoping the story I remember sending... *fingers crossed*