Author Topic: Escape Pod Special Episode- The Arthur C. Clarke Award Winner!  (Read 5329 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Escape Pod Special Episode- The Arthur C. Clarke Award Winner!

You heard it here first, folks, we have an exclusive interview and book excerpt from this year’s Arthur C. Clarke award winner, Lauren Beukes, author of Zoo City (Angry Robot Books)!
---

Zoo City explores a present day, but alternate, Johannesburg, and follows the story of Zinzi December, one of the animalled – people who are psychically bonded with animals due to crimes they have committed in the past. Zinzi has a talent for finding lost things, but when she is asked to take on a missing persons case, her life becomes increasingly more complicated and she discovers that beneath the seedy underbelly of Zoo City, things can – and do – get a lot worse.

Rated PG-13 for talk of sex workers and street violence.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:29:49 PM by eytanz »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
So this interview accomplished two things:

1) Made me want to pick up Zoo City

2) Made me think: Stop screwing around and finish the damn novel, already!

Thanks EP and Ms. Beukes!

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
As an aside?  I'm in this. Sort of. There's a series of soundbites from characters in various places and I know Lauren through Lee at Angry Robot and...well...I sort of work for the Johannesburg Police now:) So yeah, it's a tiny little thing but I got a huge kick out of it:)

Rain

• Matross
I really appreaciate things like this since it is always nice to hear about great new books. That being said after listening i am pretty sure that Zoo City isnt for me, it just didnt sound that interesting

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Heh, I had the dead opposite reaction. I can't wait to read it, sounds fascinating.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
This definitely made me want to read Zoo City. Borders.com, here I come :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Hey thanks for the interview, EP.  :)  Before I buy any more books though, I think I'd better read through all the clearance books I've bought elsewhere that have filled my bookshelf, as well as my magazine subscriptions that I've fallen months behind on reading.  :P

It's neat that you were able to get in a sneak interview without the author knowing why.  :D

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
I bought Zoo City (five dollars on my Kindle!) and am enjoying it immensely thus far.  Thanks, Escape Pod!

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Got it out of the library and it's next on my pile of books to read. Let's see what it's like...