Author Topic: PC157: As Below, So Above  (Read 16658 times)

Corcoran

• Palmer
    • My shop-page (Only in German)
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:30 PM
Great reading, great story.

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 07:40:06 PM
I'm a sucker for any story that takes us behind the goggles of a nonhuman character. This was very well done. The perspective is natural but the differences are easy enough for my land-dwelling, non-squid brain to understand.

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:45 PM
This was in Beneath Ceaseless Skies? Huh...I listen to their podcast as well, and I haven't heard this one. It's just as well, because I probably wouldn't have heard Norm Sherman's awesome narrating. I would like to read it again, though, to get the full impact. Giant Squid and evil mad-scientist-gods rock!

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:17 PM
Yay! Loved it. A bit bumpy in the beginning getting my Think-Like-A-Kraken hat straight, but form then on it was a rollicking, boat-crushing (here I originally typed "oat-crushing" which makes me want to put Son in a little Quaker hat), good time! And Eytanz, no you were not the only one. I am holding out for the Creighton solution. Seriously wonderful story. PodCastle rocks my world!

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:03 PM
Son in a little Quaker hat

Its things like this that make me wish I had any sort of artistic talent. I would SO draw that.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:15 PM
Holy crap!  Great story.

I'm not quite so easily sold on a story that having a giant squid will guarantee I like it, but if you make that squid the POV character, add in a mad scientist creator, armies of crops to eat, and a religion based on gross misinterpretation of observable facts, and with all that combined I could hardly dislike it.  And, well, Ferret's a hell of a writer, so he actually managed to do this premise justice.

I don't think there was anything I disliked about this one.  I liked Son's confrontation with his god, Dysmas's realization that he coudn't control this squid.  I liked the father's convoluted interpretation of the religion (especially Dysmas's "fertilization" of the eggs), and the fact that he had not realized that Dysmas was just another crop, expecting him to be huge because Twofather had been so tiny when he'd last seen him.  I liked how the world order isn't exactly explained, because how would this little one know about it?  I liked how the mother squid was not at all motherly in our apely view of the world because the family dynamic would certainly be different.

The one thing I didn't really understand is, if Dysmas didn't want the squids to breed (which I assume is the case from the destructino of the fertilized eggs), then why did he put a fertile male and fertile female in the same space?  Like most forms of birth control, dropping blankets of poison over an egg field is (apparently) not 100% effective.

This was in Beneath Ceaseless Skies? Huh...I listen to their podcast as well, and I haven't heard this one.

It hasn't been on the BCS podcast.  Since they started podcasting, they only podcast one story for every 2 in text, and I don't think they had the podcast at the beginning.  Maybe it'll be podcast later, but it hasn't yet.  

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 05:56:01 AM
I thoughouly enjoyed this story. The shout outs to every big squid reference and the personification is beutiffully done, with not just thoughts and feelings but food sources and religion. And the lesson of our responsibility to our "creations" rather than the other way around. Besides who could not love a sentient giant squid?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:24 PM
Good pick y'all. This will comfortably go on the list of stories to recommend to folks to introduce them to the podcast.

This one had me and never lost me. My only complaint is that it should have run on Escape Pod instead. It's totally science-fiction, from the engineered creature's POV.

Clearly you can see the proper home for this thing is PseudoPod. Tentacles aside, it's the story of a man-eating monster who slowly has everything that he holds dear stripped from him. When he has nothing left but shaken faith, he confronts and then consumes his god.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 05:18:05 PM
Clearly you can see the proper home for this thing is PseudoPod. Tentacles aside, it's the story of a man-eating monster who slowly has everything that he holds dear stripped from him. When he has nothing left but shaken faith, he confronts and then consumes his god.

It felt like it was written for Drabblecast.  Giant Squids are very near and dear to Norm's heart!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 02:04:04 PM
I put this story on my Best Podcast Fiction of All Time list, at #48:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/05/the-best-podcast-fiction-of-all-time-41-50/