Author Topic: How did you discover escape pod?  (Read 14412 times)

Startrekwiki

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:29 PM
I heard about EP from an NPR podcast/interview with Mr. Eley.  Really don't remember much of the interview, but I was intrigued enough to write down the URL and came in around episode 20.

Wow!  Someone heard that!  Huzzah -- I'm happy to hear it.  >8->

Was it recorded? I'd like to hear it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 07:37:52 PM
I heard about EP from an NPR podcast/interview with Mr. Eley.  Really don't remember much of the interview, but I was intrigued enough to write down the URL and came in around episode 20.
Was it recorded? I'd like to hear it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5182721

It was a small part of a larger story about amateur audiobooks.  Click on the "Listen" button near the top, just under the title.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 09:01:37 PM
Hey Steve,
Was this the only place it was broadcast?  I seem to recall there was a longer interview with you and one of the regular male hosts.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 09:28:29 PM
Hey Steve,
Was this the only place it was broadcast?  I seem to recall there was a longer interview with you and one of the regular male hosts.

On NPR?  I don't think so, unless you're talking about Jesse Thorn and The Sound of Young America.  That's on some public radio stations, and it's a great show, but I'm not sure how "regular" it could be considered.  >8->

Startrekwiki

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 11:10:13 PM
Hey Steve,

On NPR?  I don't think so, unless you're talking about Jesse Thorn and The Sound of Young America.  That's on some public radio stations, and it's a great show, but I'm not sure how "regular" it could be considered.  >8->

But it's still amazing.

Birnam Wood

• Palmer
Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 11:50:35 PM

Wow!  Someone heard that!  Huzzah -- I'm happy to hear it.  >8->
That's how I found EP, too.  (Hope you're still happy! ;) )  I started listening to NPR podcasts because I listened to NPR News on the radio for years.  So, I heard it through the podcast of that story.  I was washing the dishes and had to go find a pen & paper to write it down. The first non-news podcast I listened to was EscapePod.

Not sure which was my first story, since I downloaded several right off the bat.  It was either one of De Rego's Union Dues stories or "Connie, Maybe".  I was instantly hooked.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 12:38:17 AM
So, the upshot for all you marketing majors out there is:  Marketing-shmarketing; if it rocks it'll pop!

(Unless the network kills it after only 14 episodes.   :'(  )

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Startrekwiki

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 02:06:27 PM
So, the upshot for all you marketing majors out there is:  Marketing-shmarketing; if it rocks it'll pop!

That makes the network look evil. I mean, depending on the network [ ;D ], that can be true or not.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 01:11:25 AM

That makes the network look evil. I mean, depending on the network [ ;D ], that can be true or not.

Oh, I think everyone involved in the Firefly thread knows which network I mean!  I'm just waiting for the true "a la carte" viewing to come to fruition... but that's another thread altogether.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 02:00:12 AM
Uh... magic?  Is "magic" an acceptable answer?  I remember that I had the first three eps to catch up on but I really don't know where I found the podcast from.

I do also remember SFEley's podcast book review on Slashdot but I don't think that was my in.  I don't think.  I would have recognized the name if it had appeared after my discovery of EP but, realistically, would I have followed a link from http://slashdot.org?  Can anybody say RTFA?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 03:17:56 PM

Oh, I think everyone involved in the Firefly thread knows which network I mean!  I'm just waiting for the true "a la carte" viewing to come to fruition... but that's another thread altogether.

Say, what are the chances of ever having "Escape Pod Video"?  I mean, you have video iPods out there, and we have the "What SF TV series do you love thread" for our market research.  Studios are bound to have out-of-print treasures in their vaults that they would be willing to put out on a creative commons license; and there are all of those new producers of fan fic and parody that you see on YouTube.

You would probably need a lot of help getting it going, but we're here for you if you need us!  ;D

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 04:29:53 PM
Say, what are the chances of ever having "Escape Pod Video"?  I mean, you have video iPods out there, and we have the "What SF TV series do you love thread" for our market research.  Studios are bound to have out-of-print treasures in their vaults that they would be willing to put out on a creative commons license; and there are all of those new producers of fan fic and parody that you see on YouTube.

Podcasting pre-produced content doesn't really fit with my vision of Escape Artists as a publisher.  And original video production takes so long and is so complicated that there's really no way I personally would be able to do it on a schedule.  I'll leave it to Earl and Stranger Things.

That's not to say that there's no opportunity in podcasting the stuff you're talking about, though.  If you decide to do it, I would be happy to advise and publicize.  >8->

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 09:53:08 PM

Podcasting pre-produced content doesn't really fit with my vision of Escape Artists as a publisher.  And original video production takes so long and is so complicated that there's really no way I personally would be able to do it on a schedule.  I'll leave it to Earl and Stranger Things.

That's not to say that there's no opportunity in podcasting the stuff you're talking about, though.  If you decide to do it, I would be happy to advise and publicize.  >8->

I'll let you know; but for now, I'm only looking for part time work!

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 04:34:34 PM
I found EP when Clarion West people started talking about how cool it was, which was ... sometime this fall, I think. In virtually every phone conversation I had with him, James Trimarco was telling me that publishing in Escape Pod was one of his goals because of the audience you reach here.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 06:27:28 PM
I first came across EP on the side bar of ITunes when I was subscribing to Slice of Scifi.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:30 PM
The guy who sits next to me at work kept singing its praises.  The first ep I heard was "Just Do It", which is good, because it was such a good story.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

eytanz

Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 08:32:25 PM
I came across pseudopod first - it's debut was linked to from the Tables of Malcontents blog on Wired, back when it still was in its old incarnation run by Lore Sjoberg. I joined Psuedopod, then after a while decided to check out Escape Pod as well - this was around episode 80, I think, but I went back and listened to some older ones as well (I still have a lot to get through, maybe once I finish my dissertation and have some free time I'll order a disc).