Author Topic: Which Escape Artist Podcast do you like the most?  (Read 26045 times)

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
on: June 08, 2011, 08:33:55 AM
I'm curious to see which pod is everyone's favourite. Do you like to delve into the dark and musty depths of Pseudopod? Do you like to soar among the stars with Escape Pod? Or do you like to wonder the world of magic with Pod Castle? Or do you not mind particularly?

Personally, I love Pod Castle. I enjoy the other two, but I find Pod Castle tend to leave me most satisfied. This might be because i'm studying history, so pseudo-historical settings appeal to me, or it might be that I mostly read fantasy fiction above anything else in my formative years.

What's your favourite and why?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:41 PM
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:18 PM
EP, if for no other reason than I love sci-fi stories.  Podcastle is great as well.  I'm not into horror, so Pseudopod is out for me, but that's just personal choice.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:28:32 PM
I'm not going to vote, but I'll say this: while each cast has its merits, I think from an editorial basis I get the most from Podcastle -- these days, they have the most stories that I actively enjoy.

As the casts have changed editors over time (I started 3/07 with EP #98), I've found that my enjoyment of them has changed over time as well. Every editor brings his/her own unique stamp to the stories that are published. If you'd asked me during the early days of PC, I would've said my favorite is EP because I didn't care as much for the story selection of early PC. And there was a period of PP somewhere between 100-200 where it was consistently my favorite of the three.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Munsi

• Extern
    • Munsistories: A story a week.
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:09 AM
Pseudo, tho' Escape was a very close second...

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:36:54 PM
I love EP and PP equally. I've never heard PC. That' no comment on them, I'm just not into fantasy enough to listen to it regularly.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:46 PM
I'm just not into fantasy enough to listen to it regularly.

I often wonder how many people never try PC because they don't like elves and dragons and knights, when in fact it's more often urban or a minor twist on history - like the recent stories set during hurricane Katrina, the Russian revolution, and 50's surfer culture.

The recent Conan story was quite remarkable in that it was so unlike most of PC's content.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:09 PM
I'm old, set in my ways, and completely unrepentant.

Calculating...

• Palmer
  • Too much knowledge never makes for simple decision
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:05:32 PM
I love EP, it was my first love and I'm a "faithful listener". That and science fictions stories kick ass. I don't listen to PP, mainly because scary stories are, well, scary.  There is enough fear on the other podcasts to satisfy my need for scary. I have listened to PC since its beginning days, and while I have always enjoyed fantasy stories, sci fi stories is where its at.

I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?

NomadicScribe

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:58 PM
I listen to Escape Pod actively and as often as possible. I am gradually making my way through Podcastle stories. I don't subscribe to Pseudopod because horror, as a genre, bores me.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:27:42 PM
I love EP and PP equally. I've never heard PC. That' no comment on them, I'm just not into fantasy enough to listen to it regularly.

There's a lot of distance between "never heard" and "listen to regularly". You may well be ... no, I will go so far as to say you are depriving yourself of some kick-ass stories. Including some science fiction and horror that have snuck their way in.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:47 PM
There's a whole bunch of folks in this thread and others who've said things like "I like A and B, but don't care for C". With the editorial decisions and courage to push genre boundaries and wander farther off the path into spec fic, I think it would be worthwhile to start a couple threads for "if you like PodCastle, try these [10] stories on PseudoPod and these [10] on EscapePod". Folks that like multiple 'casts could really contribute and maybe help grow or deepen the listenership for all. Would anyone else want to participate?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:05 PM
sadly I am not familiar enough with the back catalogues of any of the pods to really assist, but i think it would be a great idea.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:35 PM
There's a whole bunch of folks in this thread and others who've said things like "I like A and B, but don't care for C". With the editorial decisions and courage to push genre boundaries and wander farther off the path into spec fic, I think it would be worthwhile to start a couple threads for "if you like PodCastle, try these [10] stories on PseudoPod and these [10] on EscapePod". Folks that like multiple 'casts could really contribute and maybe help grow or deepen the listenership for all. Would anyone else want to participate?

Sounds like fun! I'd be interested in trying, anyway.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

NomadicScribe

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 03:56:45 AM
The only real crossover I can think of would be the Corey Doctorow story from Bordertown, which appeared in Escape Pod even though it was definitely Podcastle material through and through.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:25 PM
I'm sorry, I meant to say I love all of the 'casts and genres equally for all literature is blessed in my eyes.

For the love of marshmallow fluff, what do you do in your spare time, preach on street corners? I'm sorry I don't listen to PC, I have so many other podcasts on subscription that I don't have time to listen to music anymore. I mean, I realize that not knowing sanskrit is also probably hampering me from reading some really great stories, so I'll put that on my to-do list too, right before "listen to PodCastle. </good-natured sarcasm>

Seriously, as I said, it's no comment on their fine work. I would gladly recommend them to friends of mine that dig the genre based solely on the level of quality EA requires. If it will satisfy, I will upgrade my 'never' to 'when I get to that point on my priority list.'

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 10:17:23 PM
I started with EP around episode 60 maybe, can't quite remember, and have stuck with it since although my interest isn't what it used to be.  I started listening to both PP and PC when they started but gave up on them after 10 or so episodes.  I would check in once in a while when I thought a story would interest me but that's about it.  I guess I'm more in to the harder sci-fi.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

There's a lot of distance between "never heard" and "listen to regularly". You may well be ... no, I will go so far as to say you are depriving yourself of some kick-ass stories. Including some science fiction and horror that have snuck their way in.

Wilson, you are not helping us keep our secrets secret!

Hypothetical conversation which probably does not occur at regular intervals during our editorial meetings in the cavernous great hall of the PodCastle, while wolfhounds gnaw bones before the hearth:

Me, or Dave:  It's an awesome story, right?  We should totally run that story.

Dave, or me:  Yeah.  But... well, you know it's science fiction, right? 

Me, or Dave:  Right.  But who will notice?  Let's just play it with a straight face and be all 'What? OF COURSE WE THOUGHT IT WAS FANTASY!' if anyone asks.

Dave, or me (mostly me): Anyway, science fiction is just a subset of fantasy.

Dave:  Don't say that out loud.

Me: Ok.  I won't.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 07:42:04 AM
@Anarkey, lovely! I just just imagine those conversations ;)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 01:20:13 AM
Mostly me: Anyway, science fiction is just a subset of fantasy.

It's okay, John Scalzi (an sf writer if there ever was one) thinks so too:

Quote from: John Scalzi
Science fiction is the branch of fantasy storytelling (and it is a branch of fantasy storytelling, make no mistake about it) that gives itself the responsibility of presuming a rational basis for its fantastic elements.

Happy New Year!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:06 PM

Dave, or me (mostly me): Anyway, science fiction is just a subset of fantasy.

ACK!

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY IT OUT LOUD!

Greill

• Extern
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:59 AM
All 3 do things well, and all 3 do some things less well.

Escape Pod: Mostly great stories, very engaging hosts, feedback seems ill-prepared.
Pod Castle: Mostly great stories, very engaging host, feedback smooth and rehearsed.
Pseudopod: Some great stories that really stick with you, host not bad at all, no feedback.

All in all, three excellent podcasts. I enjoy listening to them all.

Yaekmon

• Extern
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:45 AM
Anyway, science fiction is just a subset of fantasy.

This is why it irks me when bookshops put fantasy books in the science fiction section.
It's also part of the reason I (perhaps more controversially) don't like the term "speculative fiction" and the way it co-opts the SF acronym.

Anyway, I discovered EA via Pseudopod in iTunes, so it was the horror that led me here.
I listen to PP religiously, and I listen to EP more than PC, but I enjoy all three.

When I started listening to EP and PC, I was surprised by the feedback section.
I absolutely believe criticism has its place, and that both positive and negative feedback can help a writer to grow, but am I alone in thinking it's a bit jarring having reader feedback thrown in with the stories?
I feel like it's a bit of a rough landing to go from listening to a wonderful immersive story to hearing "I really didn't like last week's story..."
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I thought I'd add my 2c on the matter.