Author Topic: Pseudopod 233: Association  (Read 12580 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 11, 2011, 10:14:15 AM
Pseudopod 233: Association

By Eddie Borey

Read by Kris Johnson. Click the link under his name to enter THE SECRET LAIR

“Below the makeshift tourniquet, his arm was purple and rotten, especially around the bite. He untied the belt—-no point anymore in pretending that it could help him. He could see his purple forearm throb at the new rush of blood. The liquid pressure flowing into his arm was enough to break the scabs on the bitemark. Through the ruptured scab-dam, three colors of filth (black, red, egg custard) dripped a Jackson Pollock on the white tile floor. When he felt neither relief nor pain at this, he knew that he was dying.

As if the maggot hadn’t been clue enough.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:09 PM
I am the king under the mountain, and this is the first post on this thread.

I enjoyed this story a great deal, but thought it ultimately wasn't quite as good as a similar story that ran here a while ago, The Skull Faced Boy. The personal horror elements were much stronger in Association, but the conclusion - the "zombie warlord" angle - was much stronger in The Skull Faced Boy, entirely because The Skull Faced Boy was driven to his state by passion, rather than simply becoming an exemplar of his condition. If Association had ended just a few paragraphs earlier, perhaps shortly after the narrator shambled out to join the throng, and remained a more personal story, I would have found the conclusion much more powerful.

That said, I did enjoy a lot about Association. The narrator's degeneration and mutation were portrayed in gut-churning detail and heart-wrenching clarity. This really was one of the more horrible horror stories I've heard in a long time.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

zoanon

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:37:04 AM
beautiful.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:01 AM
beautiful.

...and it's not often you can say that about a zombie story :-)

dragonsbreath

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:20 PM
Great story. The telling of a zombie story from the zombie's perspective with all its blood and sickening gore was excellent. Allistair's follow-up personal story about his first encounter with death was surprising, yet after some thought seemed rather complimentary to the story.

evelet

• Extern
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:15 PM
But Bud NEVER tastes of anything!

Loved the detail of the disintegration and maggots, and little things like the batteries and calculation. Those tiny things that would obsess despite everything. Surprised that I hated the protagonist, and yet I was fascinated anyway - normally if I cannot relate I cannot listen.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:24:34 AM
I enjoyed this story and chuckled several times at the way the reading gave it a sort of ridiculous pathos.  I'd have given it solid marks right up until the end, when it decided to go "deep" and made this unappealing jerk dude into some kind of avatar of the philosophical support for zombiehood.  I don't see why he'd have been particularly interesting or frightening to humanity's survivors, and the whole thing with him being the ultimate zombie, the only one who "understands," was just kind of random and pretty thoroughly unsupported by his previous loserhood.  (My wife's comment upon the conclusion of the store, "It was cool up until the end.  Maybe he'd become famous in his neighborhood, like, 'ZOMG, that creepy guy down the street is infected.  Why isn't he wearing pants?'  I don't know why he'd become famous around the world, though.")  Personally, I don't really care for horror that grosses out instead of terrifying, but I know some people like their gross'n'gory horror, and I won't fuss too much unless it becomes the only thing PP runs.  This, like "Oral Tradition," had a core of real spiritual and mental horror in it, illuminated by Alasdair, that for me was somewhat muted by the insistence on being viscerally disgusting instead.

It reminded me of "Brains: A Zombie Memoir," which I'd recommend if you really liked this story.  I found "Brains" to be a little too precious for its own good, but it was moderately amusing, focusing on the story as told by a zombie who retains more of his cognitive functions than some of his compatriots and who gathers around him similarly "gifted" zombies, such as a zombie who can still talk, a zombie who can run, etc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:13:38 PM by Scattercat »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:36:55 PM
This was a good story, though I have to agree that it would've been better if it had ended before the "special among zombies" ending.  Up until that point he wasn't particularly remarkable, so I would've liked some hint at what made him different. 

I've heard a few stories from a zombie POV and it's always interesting to see how the perspective skews during the decline.  I thought it was very interesting how the early sympoms of zombification were very similar to some symptoms of a stroke.  After a stroke I think it's fairly common to have to learn to write all over again because some of the wiring in the brain that's been set up to do that just isn't making the connection anymore.

Regarding the language barrier:  Since he could still read, I think he could've still communicated through some form of pre-written letters rearranged.  Such as alphabet soup or Alphabits cereal, refrigerator magnet letters, or flash cards.  Perhaps he would be blocked from that too, since his condition even blocked him from nodding.

beautiful.
...and it's not often you can say that about a zombie story :-)

True!  I'd also count Drabblecast's "You Had Me At Rawwrrr..."

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 12:36:54 PM
Great writing! I found the beginning had a lot of impact, and when I realised it was a z-word story I thought perhaps it lost a little something, but then by the end I was really impressed with the different angle on being a z-word.
I forsee this writer going places, if he already hasn't. Sorry, too lazy to look it up, but will remember the name Borey.

Also, I'm guessing the CC license stops me from sampling that first blurted "COca-COla" into a techno track? Lol! Great narration too.

THAYPHAP

• Extern
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:24:56 AM
RARGH.  It is I, the writer.  Thanks for the kind comments.  As for the criticism - well, what can I say?  The harsh comments seems to focus on the last few paragraphs.  I wanted the last sentence to matter most.  If anyone has a question, just bring it. 

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 12:00:24 PM
RARGH.  It is I, the writer.  Thanks for the kind comments.  As for the criticism - well, what can I say?  The harsh comments seems to focus on the last few paragraphs.  I wanted the last sentence to matter most.  If anyone has a question, just bring it. 

Welcome! It is ALWAYS fab when the writer shows up, we love that. It's a... harsh? discerning? tough? crowd here, so please factor that in. For mine, the majority of comments have been positive.

degandegan

• Extern
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:24:07 PM
I thought the story was fantastic, and deeply moving. Without wanting to overstate matters, the way it dealt with the gradual encounter with mortality reminded me of The Death of Ivan Ilych.

And I enjoyed the way it used themes from horror to explore underlying emotional issues. This guy's not really turning into a zombie. He's slowly coming to recognize that he always was a zombie--unable to connect with other people, unable to be more than just a dull character that no one particularly likes. In that sense, I thought the ending fit perfectly. He spent his whole life struggling to fit in to a world that demanded that he be his own person, and at the end the rest of the world conforms itself to him.

Anyway, I thought it was great stuff. I'm sure the author has a great future in store.

galacticus

• Extern
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:51 PM
Really great story. I've read quite a few Zombie stories, even some from the point of view of the recently turned (skull faced boy), none ever really have gone into as much depth as Association.

I kind of took the ending differently though. I didn't see him as a 'special' zombie. Once cut off from all communication I figured that all of the zombies eventually succumbed to a sort of complex where they thought of themselves as a particularly special member of a larger extermination force. Maybe that's what the virus needs to work?

FrankOreto

• Extern
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 03:32:03 PM
I haven't heard the whole story.  But the term "Magic Rice" for maggots makes it wort listening to.

THAYPHAP

• Extern
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:39 AM
Kbitzer, which story is yours?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
Welcome! It is ALWAYS fab when the writer shows up, we love that. It's a... harsh? discerning? tough? crowd here, so please factor that in. For mine, the majority of comments have been positive.

Ditto mine, but I think people were afraid I might start textwalling at them if they complained...

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 04:11:24 AM
Kbitzer, which story is yours?

Y'know, I only just figured this out. I didn't understand your question because I'm not really a writer. Then I realised I'd used the phrase "for mine". Dunno if that's an Aussie-ism but I often use that to mean "in my opinion" -- It's a contraction of "for my money". e.g. "For my money, those AFL blokes are some of the fittest athletes around."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:59:37 AM by kibitzer »

Hafwit

• Extern
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:52:31 PM
An awesome story, and a great angle on the whole zombie-thing. I was very impressed, and it's been added to my list of best zombie stories.

"There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else." -- James Thurber

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:27 PM
Y'know, I only just figured this out. I didn't understand your question because I'm not really a writer. Then I realised I'd used the phrase "for mine". Dunno if that's an Aussie-ism but I often use that to mean "in my opinion" -- It's a contraction of "for my money". e.g. "For my money, those AFL blokes are some of the fittest athletes around."

I'm glad you explained!  Because I was confused also.  I didn't recall hearing a Kibitzer story, but was looking forward to finding out which one it was. 

Now you must write a story.  ;)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 03:14:44 AM

I'm glad you explained!  Because I was confused also.  I didn't recall hearing a Kibitzer story, but was looking forward to finding out which one it was. 

Now you must write a story.  ;)

You are too kind :-) I keep telling myself to get off my FAT arse and write one. Might even happen!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 06:38:12 PM
This one reminded me of the "Babel" episode of Deep Space Nine, in which a sabotaged replicator infects everybody with an aphasia virus.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

koda

• Extern
    • The ManicMinute
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:34 PM
Brilliant.

I know the kids love to joke about the zombie apocalypse, but I have very much molded this fantasy into how I imagine believers feel about the rapture.  Except that my paradise would mean everyone else is mostly gone…  It never occurred to me that I would become a zombie and what that might mean.

The process of this guy working through the reality of his relationships with the people that he wanted to like/be liked by-- just fantastic.

We humans make it hard to be likable characters. =/

Zombies are spectacular for telling the us vs. them story.  The movie Fido does this really, really well… like this story.

Thank you for this. =)

Live every week like it's Shark Week!

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:53 PM
I was really expecting this to just be another "let's look at it from the zombie's POV" story, which, let's face it, has begun to feel like a bit of an undead horse.  This one won me over, though, both the writing and the ideas, particularly the central idea of a fully-conscious zombie unable to communicate but still entirely there internally (on that note, normally I don't like to hear about where an author's ideas come from until after I've read/heard the story, as it can skew the experience of the story, but in this case I'm glad there was a quick touch on the story's genesis in the intro, as it gave a good real-life anchor for wrapping my head around the narrator's situation).

On a completely unrelated note, I did think of how a particularly clever proto-zombie could possibly get through the "mumbles" and "scribbles" and communicate, though it would require a receptive and somewhat quick correspondant -- it was stated that the narrator could still read and comprehend, though he could not write or even copy text.  It would seem this would not preclude pointing; given a suitable large-text book (to compensate for the lost dexterity) one could presumably form sentences "ransom-note style" by pointing at words in the existing text.  Or would the rewiring cause you to point to the wrong word?

Sorry, just had to get those out, when a character in a story runs in to a dilemma like that my problem-solving brain can't help but run it to its conclusion...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:24 PM
On a completely unrelated note, I did think of how a particularly clever proto-zombie could possibly get through the "mumbles" and "scribbles" and communicate, though it would require a receptive and somewhat quick correspondant -- it was stated that the narrator could still read and comprehend, though he could not write or even copy text.  It would seem this would not preclude pointing; given a suitable large-text book (to compensate for the lost dexterity) one could presumably form sentences "ransom-note style" by pointing at words in the existing text.  Or would the rewiring cause you to point to the wrong word?

That crossed my mind as well, but I think the story covered that eventuality pretty well, though not explicitly.  When he tried to do something as simple as nodding, his condition transformed that simple motion into something unrecognizable.  It seems that he is capable of doing most motor actions, but there's some kind of psychological block to more traditional communication that translates into physical tics that interfere with such communication.  So I think along those same lines, if he tried to do that, he would find his fingers wandering to the wrong word and ending up with gibberish anyway.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
I also appreciated the note at the beginning about the inspiration of the story. It added a nice layer on the experience.

This is another to the collection of zombie stories here that breaks from the standard and helps add depth to the sub-genre. I almost liked this one as much as Stockholm Syndrome.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”