Author Topic: PC152: The Hortlak  (Read 33070 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 03:09:55 PM
I didn't particularly care for this story, either. I listened to parts of it twice because my attention kept wandering. I guess I'm just not into pointless surrealism.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 03:34:55 PM
Meh, but Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead on the other hand has possibilities.

Not a terrible movie! But, I am a Ralph Macchio fan...

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #52 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:50 PM
Good reading.

The story just kept going. And then stopped. Too much weird stuff going on for me to really grok it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Hedge Monk

• Extern
Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 05:51:15 AM
I loved this story so much it compelled me to come out of the cold and join the forums. The benevolent spookiness of the piece stayed with me days after finishing it. The 3 main characters moved through a misty twilight realm in which only the lights of the convenience store burn bright. So yeah, there was a part of me that wanted ALL the answers but that flaw is mine. The exposition Batu gave towards the end satisfied enough ... and even if it didn't the random zombie monologues won The Hortlak a place in my heart.

nitrohepcat

• Extern
Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 10:20:04 AM
This is an excellent story that I thoroughly enjoyed. It reminded me of Douglas Coupland and Donald Barthelme stories. The main character, Eric, is directionless and lost in this world. But it doesn't matter if it's a sci-fi world of zombies or not - he still experiences his own angst of trying to find a place and meaning in it.
My favorite part of the story was Batu's Lovecraftian "Colour Out of Space" pajamas. "He took an apple from the fruit display and polished it on his non-Euclidean pajama top. The apple took on a horrid, whispery sheen.

Rough Week

• Extern
Reply #55 on: April 28, 2011, 02:14:05 PM
I hated this story so much it compelled me to join the forums. I'm sorry to be negative, but this was the worst story I've heard in years of Escape Artists podcasts. It doesn't feel like fantasy or scifi; it's barely a 'story.' Like Kaa, I feel it is 70 minutes of "pointless surrealism."

There's nothing wrong with surreal, but you need something to latch on to or identify with. This had no plot, and no explanations about the setting. You've got zombies that aren't zombies and are just sort of "there" without any role, a store that doesn't sell products, an adrift ambivalent protagonist, and odd subplots about sleep, pajamas, ghost dogs, Turkish, and a chasm, that all feel unrelated to the plot. The overall theme is the All Night, which is either a experimental zombie store or the crazy scheme of an insomniac, but the narrator doesn't seem to care which.

Now anything in a story can work if the characters are compelling. But I feel there was no one worth caring about. Eric was well-written, but he never did anything or had any strong opinions. Batu was funny and witty, but mostly cryptic and nonsensical. Charlie had an interesting story that stopped just short of being told.

All this piece has going for it is 2 somewhat sympathetic characters and a couple of witty lines about retail. Not nearly enough to save the rest of the hour-long meandering piece. Again I apologize for negativity, but this left a terrible taste in my mouth.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #56 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:15 PM
Again I apologize for negativity, but this left a terrible taste in my mouth.

I would suggest abstaining from the meat gum next time out. I've personally always preferred the Pina Colada flavor, even though my wife says it tastes like toilet bowl cleaner. (But HOW would she KNOW, right? Believe me, I KNOW.)

Dave is glad his awesome wife does not read the forums...

nitrohepcat

• Extern
Reply #57 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:32 AM
The ending of the story also reminded me of the ending to Kafka's The Trial. A sad ending in which the protagonist, K., is also shamed and compared to a dog, like Eric.
From The Hortlak, "But he ran out in the road anyway, like a damn dog, chasing after her car for as long as he could."
From The Trial, "But the hands of one of the gentleman were laid on K.'s throat, while the other pushed the knife deep into his heart and twisted it there, twice. ... "Like a dog!" he said, it was as if the shame of it should outlive him."
The absurd and dreamlike nature of the story also had the spirit of Kafka in it. Strange living arrangements (in a broom closet), untrustworthy authority figures (Batu's bizarre cover story) and a hopeless situation for which there is no escape (except insanity).

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: April 29, 2011, 07:31:33 PM
Wow, what a welcome back after my two weeks of podcast-less traveling!

I'm afraid to say that I'm among the majority here who didn't really care for this story. Bluntly put though it was, Grouchy Gnome's analogy of the ink-blot test really describes my feelings after listening. I keep trying to put together all the pieces and figure out what the story within the story was, but just ending up confused. :-[ I loved it when Batu kept telling Eric little bits and demanding to know if that was a satisfactory explanation. "No," Eric said, and I echoed the sentiment!

Ahh well, my hiatus has left me plenty more EA stories and I'm sure the next one will be awesome! :D

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #59 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:32 AM
I just listened to this one again, and I honestly adore it, and I have no idea why.  It's the fantastically mundane made special. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

danooli

Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:21 PM
It's the fantastically mundane made special. 

I think that is what does it for me with this one.

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 03:14:39 AM
i have no idea what just happened... i did drift off towards the end though, so i missed the last bit. I'll have to re-listen when i don't want to go to bed! For the most part i had no idea where this was going and wasn't too sure i actually cared enough to stay awake. This one passed me by, i'm afraid, which is a shame, because i thought Another Zombie Contingency Plan was good fun.

cbjames

• Extern
Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:34 AM
More Kelly Link please. 

I loved this story.  Any story with the phrase "Zomibes, not Canadian" is a good story.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 04:28:53 PM
Gah! I came to the discussion too late!!!

Oh well. I've read this story several times, so I knew what to expect. I'm listening to it now. I'm picking up on little details that I missed from reading, so that is nice. I think I like this story more than the Zombie Contingencies.

Now Podcastle needs to buy "Lull" because that's the best Kelly Link story I ever heard. In fact, I will gladly volunteer myself to read it, because it is just that full of awesome. (Of course, I need to find a decent microphone...that's what keeping me from sending in an audition tape. I don't know if folk'll appeciate hearing me record on a crappy Dell Axiom...)

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

BarryJNorthern

• Extern
Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:02 AM
I enjoyed being pleasantly confused all the way through this one because the writing was well wrought and the events unique and refreshing. However, I was a little miffed when the words ran out and I didn't know what had happened.

I seriously question whether superb writing, unique turns-of-phrase, and funny-as-hell Hortlak one-liners, make up for a lack of emotional connection with the characters and no plot though.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 04:29:07 PM
I seriously question whether superb writing, unique turns-of-phrase, and funny-as-hell Hortlak one-liners, make up for a lack of emotional connection with the characters and no plot though.

FWIW, I would question the above as well. But I'd (probably obviously) disagree that there's a lack of emotional connection with the characters. I'd hang out at the All Night, well, all night with them. (And now that Eric's read this story for us, I can;D)

Additionally, I'd argue there is a plot, but that it's more character-oriented. Like I said in the intro: Clerks with zombies and better cinematography  ;)

Obviously, that didn't work for you, (and the majority of the listeners posting here), which is cool. I guess I'm just posting to make the distinction.

BTW: Glad to see you listening. I've been enjoying Cast Macabre quite a bit, recently!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:19 PM
I felt that the Clerks analogy was apt. However, with that in mind, I think this one would have benefited from a slightly different production with three or four voice actors so the dialogue could have been Clerks/Dragnet rat-a-tat fast without any of the "he said" parts. There were a couple parts that suffered with one word exchanges with "he said" slowing them down.

I also enjoyed the Grouchy Gnome's eloquent analysis. I like eloquent dialogue. Maybe the Grouchy Gnome is an agent of the author trying to obfuscate the issue farther. Or maybe he is a CIA agent furthering the analysis or our perception of the aural ink blot test we've been dubjected to.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:23 PM
On a not-really-related note, back when I was in elementary school I learned to say something in Turkish. I still don't know what it means, but the person who taught me to say it warned me that if I ever said it to a Turk, I'd better be ready to die.

It sounds like "nasturos lefosh asheggebeh". Can anybody translate?

I showed my Turkish co-worker this post.  She says that's not Turkish LOL

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:18 AM
This was a strange one. It really got the point across about the futality of living in such a place, but there didn't to seem to be any point. It was really well written and relateable if you've ever had a service job, but I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.