Author Topic: Sunday cooking  (Read 45605 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: October 16, 2011, 09:46:08 PM
Does anyone else like to cook on Sundays?

Today I made Carrot Ginger soup with carrots and butternut squash I grew in the garden.  Then I made Bacon Chocolate & Cinnamon Chip cookies.  I just took those out of the oven, but haven't tried them yet.  I've wanted to try bacon chocolate chip cookies for a while now, and today's the day  ;D

What did YOU cook today?

eytanz

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:35 PM
Oh, I do love to cook on Sundays (and Saturdays. And most other days, though if I'm at work late I sometimes get takeaway). But I do try to make big meals on weekends. Didn't really cook much today, but yesterday I made a lamb lasagne, and on Friday I made a carrot/sweet potato/butternut squash soup which we've not quite finished yet. I wish I had a garden, though...

How were the cookies? If they were as good as they sound, I'd love the recipe...

danooli

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:09 PM
The cookies were pretty good! 

here you go

Bacon, chocolate chip and cinnamon chip cookies

2 ¼ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cinnamon chips
10 strips bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, both sugars and vanilla in a large bowl. add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and bacon pieces.
Spoon dough (about a Tbsp per cookie) onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 F for 9-11 minutes remove from oven and cool 5 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:30 AM
I actually rarely cook and subsist mainly on sammiches and frozen meals. Yes, it's pathetic. That's OK.

But tonight I had this $2 bag of baby potatoes from Trader Joe's I had to get through before they went bad. So I'm roasting 'em up with some Olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice (? I have no idea if that last will bake off in the oven or what, I don't cook much as I said, just experimenting) and have hopes they will make for tasty eats during the Walking Dead premiere.

I can say that the condo smells awesome right now though. Yum.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:09:54 AM
I enjoy cooking but during the week it's usually the old standbys. When we entertain it's usually me that cooks and that's quite fun! (Apart from the stress of wondering whether everything will turn out!)

Actually we had some friends over recently and I made a Moroccan Lamb Stew which I found disappointing -- not half as flavourful as I expected. I think I used too much meat and should have cooked it the day before.

Bacon Choc-chip cookies? Sounds awesome!

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:13:41 PM
Oh yeah, I'm a "cook meals for the week on Sunday" person too. Though for me right now it's usually a big batch of scrambled eggs with veggies for the week's breakfasts.  I tend to do the "cook twice as much for dinner, and have the leftovers for lunch the next day" routine.

Granted, when I have time to cook.  But one of the fantastic things about Autumn is the urge always strikes and I wind up with big batches of soups and stews which rotate through the freezer beautifully.

And NOW I want to make vichyssoise again...

Alea Iacta Est!

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:16:53 PM
Actually we had some friends over recently and I made a Moroccan Lamb Stew which I found disappointing -- not half as flavourful as I expected. I think I used too much meat and should have cooked it the day before.

Ooooo that sounds good!  Was the stew tomato based?  If so, I agree completely with your idea to cook it the day before.  For some reason all tomato based stuff (spaghetti sauce, salsa, lasagna, etc.) seem to be much better the next day.  :-)

If you're looking for a meat / middle-eastern style dish, this is my favorite.  Crock pot recipe, too.  Prep in the morning, leave on low all day, come home to a WONDERFUL smell.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s71/sh/7cf82b9e-2fba-492d-8955-d0af5f995254/5c2d33b67003432f82c151c18bfbd29a

Alea Iacta Est!

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:30 PM
I enjoy cooking, but I didn't do any yesterday. Plan on putting together a simple but yummy potato soup for tonight, accompanied by my wife's homemade bread. I passed on the bacon chocolate chip cookies recipe to her. She's the baker. She's (We're) trying to start up a little side baking business, in fact.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:31:08 PM
The cookies were pretty good! 

here you go

Thanks! Probably won't be doing them for a while (busy, busy term just started, I think even my weekends will be mostly work), but the recipe does look good!

danooli

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:47 PM

If you're looking for a meat / middle-eastern style dish, this is my favorite.  Crock pot recipe, too.  Prep in the morning, leave on low all day, come home to a WONDERFUL smell.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s71/sh/7cf82b9e-2fba-492d-8955-d0af5f995254/5c2d33b67003432f82c151c18bfbd29a

Holy cow, that sounds incredible  :o

Talia, how were your potatoes?  They sound good too!  I'm sure the lemon juice was fine in the oven.

eytanz...I've been meaning to try any form of chocolate and bacon cookies for quite some time now, at least a year already.  This was the first time I got around to making them.  At first, I hesitated because everybody around me claimed they sounded too gross and said they wouldn't try them.  So I wasn't about to make a batch of cookies that only I would eat.  Then I just decided that I didn't care anymore and made them.   You'll try them when you're ready  ;D I used the cinnamon chips because I ran out of chocolate chips.  (I had never heard of the cinnamon chips before last weekend when I found them in the grocery store, by the way.  I'm so glad I picked them up because they're incredible!) 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:02:51 AM
They were yummy. Would Eat Again (and could, I have many potatoes left).

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 01:50:05 AM
On Sunday I bust out with the smoker or the grill (sometimes both) and make something that takes a few days to finish. Sometimes when the extended family is over, the meat doesn't last long, but with Fall here, I'll probably bust out the pressure cooker for some soups from the carcasses.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:14 AM
I do my big cooking on Fridays. We have some friends over. We were watching Torchwood: Miracle Day, and have proceeded into The Walking Dead. Also scratch cocktails with fresh ingredients. (See PodCastAle thread for more on that.)

I actually rarely cook and subsist mainly on sammiches and frozen meals. Yes, it's pathetic. That's OK.

But tonight I had this $2 bag of baby potatoes from Trader Joe's I had to get through before they went bad. So I'm roasting 'em up with some Olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice (? I have no idea if that last will bake off in the oven or what, I don't cook much as I said, just experimenting) and have hopes they will make for tasty eats during the Walking Dead premiere.

I'd consider just oil and salt for the roasting to crisp the skins and nothing that burns, then put all the herbs and spices into the lemon juice and toss as kind of a dressing.

I'll have to share some middle eastern dished I've done successfully. Koresht is an awesome stew style, with a flavor base including pomegranate syrup, dried limes, tumeric, cinnamon, cardamom, and cumin.

My favorite bacon application so far has been a praline ice cream, but instead of nuts, roast bacon in the oven that has been rubbed heavily in brown sugar.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:37:11 AM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 03:39:23 AM

I'd consider just oil and salt for the roasting to crisp the skins and nothing that burns, then put all the herbs and spices into the lemon juice and toss as kind of a dressing.

I'll have to share some middle eastern dished I've done successfully. Koresht is an awesome stew style, with a flavor base including pomegranate syrup, dried limes, tumeric, cinnamon, cardamom, and cumin.

Hmm, good idea. Will try that with the surviving (heh) potatoes. :)

Koresht sounds amazing! There's an Israeli (and yes, sadly, I had to Google to confirm that Israel counts as "middle eastern")dish that I've recently become fond of.. shakshuka.. basically eggs over tomato, with parsley and feta. So frigging good.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 04:47:52 AM
Sunday was a big cooking day for me too. Must have been the cold, rainy weather - didn't want to do outside stuff ;)
I made...

Russian Cabbage Pie. The recipe is from a Russian friend, but is something like this one: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/russianmaincourses/r/cabbage-pie-kulebjaka.htm.

Baked Corn Dogs. Tried this recipe for the first time, and they turned out pretty good: http://www.mommiedaze.com/whats-for-dinner-baked-corn-dogs.

Moussaka. The recipe is from an old Greek lady, includes eggplant, zucchini, potato, and meat, and I couldn't find anything like it on the web...

The Pie was eaten on Sunday.
The Corn Dogs were consumed today.
And the Moussaka is for tomorrow.

What will I do on Wednesday? ;)

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 04:58:41 AM
Stew-ish moussaka or lasagna-ish moussaka?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 02:44:52 AM

Ooooo that sounds good!  Was the stew tomato based?  If so, I agree completely with your idea to cook it the day before.  For some reason all tomato based stuff (spaghetti sauce, salsa, lasagna, etc.) seem to be much better the next day.  :-)

Yes, it was very heavily tomato based :-) Only time in my life I've ever peeled and chopped and stack of roma tomatoes (2kg as I recall), so you can understand my disappointment!

(Oh -- that's about 4.4lbs for you colonials ;-)

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 02:21:55 PM
I cook and bake a lot, it is almost like therapy to me, it is time for me to unwind and destress and actually make someting, which I need to do after a day of working on computers shuffling electrons about. My wife often gives me an "Iron Chef Challenge", where she'll give me an ingredient, and I build supper around that. 

Most recently, it being autumn in New England, it is squash season, so I have been doing a lot of squash/pumpkin stuff.  This is our latest favorite, with buttercup squash substituted for turban squash, just because buttercup squash has such a lovely texture.

http://www.food.com/recipe/stuffed-turban-squash-106888

I also LOVE cooking middle eastern food, specifically Armenian food.  That may seem to be an odd cuisine to pick up, but I lived in a town outside of Boston that had a very high percentage of Armenians, and several Armenian markets and restaurants.  When we moved away, I found myself craving kufteh, lahmejun, and mamool, so on one of my trips back, I bought the local church cookbook, and it has served me well.

Another "ethnic" favorite I love to make is piragi, a Latvian bacon, onion, and caraway filled roll.  I made 300 of these suckers for a holiday party last year:(I called them bacon buddies for the less adventurous folks)
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/170/piragi-%28latvian-bacon-rolls%29.html

And of course being of French descent, I make a mean onion soup and tortierre. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:53 PM

I do this all the time, and my favorite combo is dill, chives, salt and pepper.  roast in an oven at 450(200c?) for about 15 minutes, and you've got a simple easy side dish that goes great dipped in ranch dressing.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 02:30:36 PM
But what I actually cooked on Sunday was my super-simple pulled pork.

2-5 lb pork butt
2 onions
2 garlic cloves
barbecue spices(I love Penzey's Northwoods Fire
salt
pepper
barbecue sauce of your choice

Coat pork with spices, and put in slow cooker with chopped onions and garlic, salt and pepper.  Fill to just over the top of the pork with water, and cook for 8-12 hours, or until pork can be pulled apart with a fork. Pull pork out of slow cooker and empty everything else out.  Shred pork with two forks, and add back to slow cooker.  Add barbecue sauce, and cook for another 30-45 minutes to incorporate.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 03:58:01 AM

I have never heard of a Stew-ish moussaka. Please tell me, what is that?
And to answer your questions, I made the lasagna-ish moussaka. It turned out really good!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 04:04:48 AM
Another "ethnic" favorite I love to make is piragi, a Latvian bacon, onion, and caraway filled roll.  I made 300 of these suckers for a holiday party last year:(I called them bacon buddies for the less adventurous folks)
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/170/piragi-%28latvian-bacon-rolls%29.html

Piragi are fabulous. They are actually a staple across many slavic cultures (my background). You can put just about anything in them, but typical fillings include; rice and mushrooms in a cream sauce, browned ground beef and onions, chopped hard boiled eggs, and fried cabbage. In fact, I made some from the left over cabbage filling and pie dough from my cabbage pie on Sunday. Delicious!

But they are very time consuming to make. I tip my hat to you for making 300! I hope your party-goer friends appreciated the effort.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 01:23:52 PM

And to answer your questions, I made the lasagna-ish moussaka. It turned out really good!

West of the Black Sea Mousakka is more like a lasagna. East of the Black Sea (my primary experiences are Turkish and Lebanese) it's a eggplant stew. I've done the following version: http://www.woolfit.com/moussaka.html and it was very good but not quite what I was looking for. The next time I try it, I will either roast or fry the eggplant at the suggestion of a Lebanese friend.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 06:44:09 PM

West of the Black Sea Mousakka is more like a lasagna. East of the Black Sea (my primary experiences are Turkish and Lebanese) it's a eggplant stew. I've done the following version: http://www.woolfit.com/moussaka.html and it was very good but not quite what I was looking for. The next time I try it, I will either roast or fry the eggplant at the suggestion of a Lebanese friend.

How interesting. Thanks for that  :)

danooli

Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 04:09:28 PM
It's not Sunday, but I'm home from work with a bit of a bug so I'm thinking about what to cook for dinner tonight...

I'm leaning towards a Butternut Squash Gratin casserole as I still have a ton of these buggers from the garden I should use.  ;D