Author Topic: antichrist  (Read 6423 times)

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:19 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/

Has anyone else seen this horror movie that came out in 2009, made my Lars von Trier, with William Defoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg? I watched it last week in the name of Halloween and found it to be absolutely terrifying.

The film caused a fair bit on controversy when it came out, both for religious overtones and for some pretty explicit scene. I wonder what others who have seen the film thought about it in that regard? Personally I loved it, and thought it was one of the best horror flicks I've ever seen.

Thoughts?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:53:00 PM
One of the all-time craziest movies I've ever seen.  It's become an ominous reference amongst my friends.
Also happened to watch it with a big time feminist in our midst.  She was pretty terrified and deeply affected by that movie.
I highly recommend it.  I tell everyone to "see it... but don't see it.  don't ever watch it, but tooootally watch it because it's awesome"

semi-spoiler but not really below.
When the fox speaks in that crazy voice?  holy crap.  And when she makes Willem Dafoe cum blood?  fucking crazy.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:25:30 PM
the fox bit was actually really silly. The lead up to it was fantastic, but the actual talking bit was not good at all. The second thing was friggin' horrible.

spoiler:
the child abuse, with the pictures of the little boy with his shoes on the wrong way round was possibly the worst bit in terms of stuff that effected me long after finishing it.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:26:15 PM
after the lead-up i laughed out loud when i heard the fox's voice.  a little trivia, it's actually Dafoe's voice (heavily modified).

the movie had a very european feel, heavy on imagery and symbolism.  one thing that i like about old world cinema is that they're more likely to cast people with an interesting look instead of people that are just strikingly good looking.  with some lighting and camera work the actors can look genuinely haggard or ugly.  in contrast, a typical hollywood flick uses smudged make-up and tousled hair on models.

i'm throwing spoiler tags around the rest.  if someone's interested in watching this movie then the less you know beforehand the better

because one of the things that makes the movie so effective is that it subverts our expectations.

when a woman is taken into the woods by her overbearing & arrogant husband in a movie called *antichrist* than we damn well don't expect her to become the antagonist.  it was a simple reversal but effective because it breaks unspoken conventions.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:49:03 PM
While I don't think I'm going to watch the movie after reading reviews this movie falls right into line with my idea that there is a difference between the type of horror I consider "Cerebral" for lack of a better term and the visceral, it sounds like the movie starts off in the former and then progresses into the more gorey visceral types, would any of who've seen this agree with that kind of division?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:42 PM
It does that, but then falls back into the cerebral once more, albeit a depressing analysis...

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

mjmcaul

• Extern
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:06:49 AM
I really liked it.

Yonderboy13

• Extern
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:50:39 PM
Hmmm.  Its on Netflix for instant play.  Watching it now.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night. -- Edgar Allan Poe