Author Topic: PC Spotlight 3: Briarpatch  (Read 4587 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 18, 2011, 01:44:30 AM
Dave and Anna (um, Anna? ANNA?!?! Where’d you go?) talk about Tim Pratt’s new book Briarpatch! If you’re looking to get that special someone (or yourself) something for the holidays, look no further!

Listen to PodCastle Spotlight: Briarpatch [13:06m]

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:15:29 PM
I absolutely LOVED Briarpatch!!!

off to download and listen to Dave and Anna's takes on it...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:27 PM
Okay, I think I need to buy this.  Alice in Wonderland is very high on my list of favorites, and Tim Pratt is my favorite short story author bar none.  I have not tried his novels, but I think this is the one I will try first.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:01:04 PM
Briarpatch is now sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.  Tim Pratt is far and away my favorite short story author, but I've never tried one of his novels.  Lately I've been getting most of my book-reading from library books, but I want to do my small part to help Tim make money so that he can keep writing writing writing.  Handily enough, I had received a Barnes & Noble gift card for my birthday that I didn't have anything in particular to buy with, AND I found Briarpatch at my neighborhood Barnes & Noble. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:18:36 PM
Cool! Hope you enjoy it :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:34 PM
Well, "Rangergirl" was a hit with me, but I've found the whole Marla Mason series to be unpalatable at best.  If this is more in that former vein, I'll give it a try...

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:18:02 PM
My boyfriend got this for my little sister for Christmas, and though she quite enjoyed it her exact comment was "I liked the beggining and the end, but wasn't in love with the characters so the middle was... eh"

Then I had her listen to this spot light and she enphatically agreed she liked it much better now, and had nothing to add.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. Especially for all the bayarea references (might i point out I've wanted a picture of the Richmond double bridge forever, great cover!) and not despite them.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:33 PM
Just finished reading Briar Patch and I quite enjoyed it.  I like a good parallel worlds story, and a good quest, though in this case I guess it was a bad quest (Ismael that is).  This novel was just the right length, long enough to explore the world enough to be interesting but not enough to overstay its welcome.  I'd read more stories set in the briarpatch.  And I think it has enough potential for a broader appeal that I'm recommending it to Heather.  She is open-minded in some respects to some kinds of fiction, but certain kinds of speculative fiction turn her off--I think this will hit an area that she'd be open to.

I should go back and listen to this spotlight again cuz I don't really remember details about what was said.

I want a Wendigo.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:10:31 PM
I hope Pratt one day writes another book (or even a short story) called "Wendigo".

Such a cool car...

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:03 AM
I want a Wendigo.

I want a friend to have a Wendigo.  I think that would be better.  So...if you ever get one, would you take a trip through the Briarpath to Long Island and come give me a ride?   ;D

I hope Pratt one day writes another book (or even a short story) called "Wendigo".

Such a cool car...

hmmm...a PodCastle commission perhaps?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
I want a friend to have a Wendigo.  I think that would be better.  So...if you ever get one, would you take a trip through the Briarpath to Long Island and come give me a ride?   ;D

Will do!  :)  I imagine having a Wendigo would be like having a sabre-toothed tiger as a friend.  He lets you ride on his back, but it's also entirely possibly that he will eat you someday.

hmmm...a PodCastle commission perhaps?

Ooh, I like the sound of that.  :)