Author Topic: Futurama  (Read 19480 times)

Startrekwiki

Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:22 PM
I watched the episode commentary last night.

Matt Groening asked, "Why did Doohan not do it?"
David Cohen responds, "I believe the official comment we got back was, 'NO WAY!'"
Matt said, "You know, 'No' would have been sufficient."

I have heard that Doohan and Shatner were very hard to work with and could basically not work together.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 03:21:56 PM
I don't know much about the original Star Trek cast. I followed TNG religiously and I watch the movie documentaries a lot.

From what I've seen and heard, it seems to me that the TNG cast are more tight and friendly than the original cast. I love watching the bloopers from the TNG movies because the cast often breaks out in uncontrollable laughter and sometimes they lean on each other and hug one another. They seem like true friends.

I don't think I would consider myself a friend if my 'co-workers' all participated in a fun project and I said, "No way." I just can't see myself saying that.

2 cents contribution complete.

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 08:13:14 PM
There are all sorts of rumours about who was a jackass on the set and that everyone hated Shatner or everyone hated Nimoy or Takei hated Koenig or whatever.  In the case of Futurama though - they never would have had to be in the same room or even in the studio on the same day.
I'm sure it had more to do with illness and hassle.

Watch the Comedy Central roast of William Shatner for some of those rumours and also Galaxy Quest which is kind of spoof of ST:OS and ST:NG - super funny, great movie

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 03:58:44 PM
Futurama is in my top five favorites, right up there with The Simpsons and FireFly.  I was really bummed when it was canceled and can't wait to see the new episodes.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:18 PM
Taken from an interview on RottenTomatoes:

"I was frustrated when it got cancelled, but Fox, 20th Television is the one who came back and said, 'Would you like to do a DVD movie?'" Groening recalled. We said, 'Let's do two' and they said, 'Well, why not three?' and we said, 'Well, why not four?' and they said, 'Okay, four' and then that's it."

After this, Comedy Central won a bid to air the films as new "Futurama" episodes. "We're writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes. Chopped up is an indelicate way of putting it but we are doing them as movies and then we are reconfiguring them and writing new material and narration and this that and the other so that they'll stand on their own as episodes."

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

Startrekwiki

Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:07 PM
Taken from an interview on RottenTomatoes:

"I was frustrated when it got cancelled, but Fox, 20th Television is the one who came back and said, 'Would you like to do a DVD movie?'" Groening recalled. We said, 'Let's do two' and they said, 'Well, why not three?' and we said, 'Well, why not four?' and they said, 'Okay, four' and then that's it."

After this, Comedy Central won a bid to air the films as new "Futurama" episodes. "We're writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes. Chopped up is an indelicate way of putting it but we are doing them as movies and then we are reconfiguring them and writing new material and narration and this that and the other so that they'll stand on their own as episodes."

Wow! That's great news! When was that interview taken?

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 01:09:38 PM
Not sure. This was a post from a post from a post. I seem to remember reading this sometime in the winter season.

Startrekwiki

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 05:24:43 PM
I wonder weather the movie's still in the works...

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:22:59 PM

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 06:56:36 AM
Good 'ol Welchie, joining the great ranks of "new guys" that are part of the away team doomed to die. Way to take one for the team old friend.