Author Topic: Escape Pod Reader nominations 2011  (Read 3769 times)

eytanz

on: February 05, 2012, 06:34:02 PM
Following the lead of our sister podcast Pseudopod, we wish to recognize not only the best writing in an episode but also the best work by a reader narrating it. So - thanks to Umbrageofsnow - here is the list of all of the EP episodes for 2011 and their narrators. It's the specific performances, not the narrators themselves, that are up for nomination - so feel free to nominate the same reader for different episodes.

Just as in the best story thread, nominate up to three performances, and a poll will come up in a few weeks.

EP274: Angry Rose’s Lament Read by Mur Lafferty
EP275: Schrödinger’s Cat Lady Read by Mur Lafferty
EP276: On a Blade of Grass Read by Mat Weller
EP277: Rejiggering the Thingamajig Read by Kij Johnson
EP278: Written on the Wind Read by Mur Lafferty
EP279: Conditional Love Read by Mur Lafferty
EP280: Endosymbiont Read by Mur Lafferty
EP281: The Notebook of my Favourite Skin-Trees Read by Pamela Quevillon
EP282: You’re Almost Here Read by Melinda Thielbar
EP283: Grandfather Paradox Read by Kim Gianopoulos
EP284: On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy Read by Joshua McNichols
EP285: Jaiden’s Weaver Read by Kij Johnson
EP286: The ’76 Goldwater Dime Read by Norm Sherman
EP287: A Taste of Time Read by Mur Lafferty
EP288: Future Perfect Read by Dani Cutler
EP289: Flash Contest Honorable Mentions: Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, Read by Joshua McNichols
EP289: Flash Contest Honorable Mentions: Many Mistakes, All Out of Order by M.C. Wagner, Read by Wilson Fowlie
EP289: Flash Contest Honorable Mentions: Mr. Omega by Arnold Gardner, Read by Marshall Latham
EP290: Tom the Universe Read by Mat Weller
EP291: Shannon’s Law Read by Mur Lafferty
EP292: In the Water Read by Kim Gianopoulos
EP293: A Small Matter, Really Read by Mur Lafferty
EP294: The Night Train Read by Jean Hilde-Fulghum
EP295: Disarm Read by Mat Weller
EP296: For Want of a Nail Read by Mur Lafferty
EP297: Amaryllis Read by Gabrielle De Cuir
EP298: The Things Read by Kate Baker
EP299: Plus or Minus Read by Christiana Ellis
EP300: We go back Read by Mur Lafferty
EP301: Stone Wall Truth Read by Heather Welliver
EP302: Flash Extravaganza: London Iron by William R. Halliar, Read by Andrew Richardson
EP302: Flash Extravaganza: Wheels of Blue Stilton by Nicholas J. Carter, Read by Christian Brady
EP302: Flash Extravaganza: Light and Lies by Gideon Fostick, Read by Mur Lafferty
EP303: Leech Run Read by Alasdair Stuart
EP304: Union Dues – Sidekicks in Stockholm Read by some new guy named Stephen Eley
EP305: Midnight Blue Read by Paul Haring
EP306: Radio Nowhere Read by Wilson Fowlie
EP307: Soulmates Read by Dave Thompson
EP308: Kill Me Read by Mur Lafferty
EP309: The Insurance Agent Read by Christian Brady
EP310: Flash Extravaganza: Jenna's Clocks by T.F. Davenport, Read by Jean Hilde-Fulghum
EP310: Flash Extravaganza: Wetware Woes by J.J. DeBenedictis, Read by Mur Lafferty
EP310: Flash Extravaganza: End of the World or Not, I Still Have Feeling by Daniel Morris, Read by Barry Haworth
EP310: Flash Extravaganza: The Best Cover Band in the Universe by Andrew Fazzari, Read by John Anealio
EP311: The Faithful Soldier, Prompted Read by Rajan Khanna
EP312: Night Bird Soaring Read by Mat Weller
EP313: Playing Doctor Read by Josh Roseman
EP314: Movement Read by Marguerite Kenner
EP315: Clockwork Fagin Read by Grant Baciocco
EP316: Site Fourteen Read by Mat Weller
EP317: Boxed In Read by Barry Haworth
EP318: The Prize Beyond Gold Read by Josh Roseman
EP319: Driving X Read by Mur Lafferty
EP320: Thanksgiving Day Read by Paul Haring
EP321: Honor Killing Read by Mur Lafferty
EP322: Chicken Noodle Gravity Read by Paul Haring
EP323: Marking Time on the Far Side of Forever Read by Josh Roseman
EP324: Long Winter’s Nap Read by Mur Lafferty
EP325: Bad Dogs Escape Read by AB Kovacs, Pamela L. Quevillon, and John Cmar

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:00:18 PM
EP284: On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy Read by Joshua McNichols
EP290: Tom the Universe Read by Mat Weller

I'm not going to nominate myself for EP323, but you can feel free to if you think I did a good job. :)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:07:35 PM
EP280: Endosymbiont Read by Mur Lafferty
EP314: Movement Read by Marguerite Kenner
EP325: Bad Dogs Escape Read by AB Kovacs, Pamela L. Quevillon, and John Cmar (Again, huge props to Mat to this one for the production)

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:35:38 PM
You guys are too kind, but thanks! I would recommend taking me out of the running because I feel like my presence on the boards makes it kind of unfair, but my ego invites all 'honorable mentions.'  :P

My votes:
EP285: Jaiden’s Weaver Read by Kij Johnson - I think this was perfect casting. A great meld of reader and story.
EP299: Plus or Minus Read by Christiana Ellis - I could see how Christiana's reading may be an acquired taste, but I have definitely acquired it.
EP289: Flash Contest Honorable Mentions: Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, Read by Joshua McNichols - This was one of the most animated readings I've heard on ANY Escape Pod and so perfectly suited for this story.

I'm not going to vote for 323, Josh, because I don't want this to look like an ego-strokeoff, but that really is one of my favorites from this year. I'm also not going to vote for any of the house staff, but Steve, Norm and Mur can read me a story anytime and I had the pleasure and honor of reading some really fun stories for a show that I'm still giddy like a schoolgirl to be involved with.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:38:48 PM
I'm not going to vote for 323, Josh, because I don't want this to look like an ego-strokeoff, but that really is one of my favorites from this year. I'm also not going to vote for any of the house staff, but Steve, Norm and Mur can read me a story anytime and I had the pleasure and honor of reading some really fun stories for a show that I'm still giddy like a schoolgirl to be involved with.

Thanks.

The image of someone who sounds like my friend Dave (seriously, you guys sound exactly alike) squeeing like a schoolgirl will stick with me all day now. So thanks for that.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:34:16 PM
I've only listened to the flash stories and the ones nominated for the year's "best of" list, so my nomination pool's a bit smaller. From that I would nominate the following:

EP289: Flash Contest Honorable Mentions: Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, Read by Joshua McNichols

The voices and the production tweaks really elevated this story to the next level. It took it from just being cute and gave it some pathos.

EP321: Honor Killing Read by Mur Lafferty

I love Mur reading quirky creatures (e.g. Regis St. George). This one gets the nomination for the fun characterization.

EP323: Marking Time on the Far Side of Forever Read by Josh Roseman

Listener, I don't know you and I help out on another 'cast so our only interaction is here on the forums. That being said, I think you did a real nice job with differentiating the voices in this story. The flat voice of 200 and the regular shifts could not have been easy to pull off.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04:24 PM
Listener, I don't know you and I help out on another 'cast so our only interaction is here on the forums. That being said, I think you did a real nice job with differentiating the voices in this story. The flat voice of 200 and the regular shifts could not have been easy to pull off.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

eytanz

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
The posting here has died down, but just in case people still want to post nominations, I figured I'd announce an official deadline - the nominations will close Saturday, 25 Feb at which point the poll will go up.

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:54:58 PM
EP281: The Notebook of my Favourite Skin-Trees Read by Pamela Quevillon (I thought her reading really suited the piece, although I'm not sure I'd want her reading everything. I had a few problems with the story itself but the reading was great.)
EP306: Radio Nowhere Read by Wilson Fowlie (good character voices and I liked the "special effects")
EP303: Leech Run Read by Alasdair Stuart (liked the accents)

(ETA: I didn't listen to much EP this year, so there may be other good readings that I missed.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:56:30 PM by Chuk »

--
chuk

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
Sorry it's taken me so long to post these...

EP277: Rejiggering the Thingamajig Read by Kij Johnson

eytanz

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:57 AM
Just like with the episode nominations, I was going to get the poll going by the beginning of the March, and then real life intervened. So, I'm going to set it up on Wednesday, March 7 instead. If you have any last minute nominations, now is the time!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:06:10 AM by eytanz »