Author Topic: EP335: The Water Man  (Read 17332 times)

stampguy19

• Extern
Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 06:29:56 PM
I really like most EP stories.  "The Water Man," however, would probably be at the bottom of my list of EP stories.  I do not need spaceships and laser guns in every story.  I do need a plot.  "The Water Man" just did not do it for me.  A good rewrite with a more clearly defined plot would make a more interesting story.

TimothyAWiseman

• Extern
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:19 PM
Although well written, I could not enjoy this story.  It was hard to follow and harder to make any sense of.  It had an almost surrealist feeling to it, but I have never had a taste for surrealism.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:04 PM
Although late to the point of being ridiculous, I feel I need to weigh in here. I really liked this story. No, I didn't understand everything about this world, but I love how we were just set down in it and not had our ears stuffed with exposition. Actually, if anything, that makes this world so much more believable and intriguing to me. And while not much happens externally, I love how we are given clues to the transformation inside the protagonist without spelling it out. I listen to this the way I watch a David Lynch or Terrence Malick movie, the way I read a Jeff Noon book or a poem, I just go with a ride. A side point : Can you make a living of making carnival masks ? Well, if you live in Basel like me, you have no problem believing that (http://www.google.com/search?q=basel+carnival). 

If all this seems like ramblings, it is, but it is way too late to go back and make a clearer argument, and it seems strangely fitting to this story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:34 PM
I listen to this the way I watch a David Lynch or Terrence Malick movie, the way I read a Jeff Noon book or a poem, I just go with a ride.

I saw Mulholland Drive, and yes in some ways it is like that.  Not much like Twin Peaks, though.  :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 07:12:30 AM
Not much like Twin Peaks, though.  :)

Not much is...

Cattfish

• Palmer
Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 06:37:13 PM
 :o

...And that's why you think twice before you post, it might end up at the end of a podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 01:49:49 PM
Not much like Twin Peaks, though.  :)

Not much is...

Which is really too bad!  Also too bad that Kyle Mclachland hasn't been in more stuff that I like in the meantime.  I really liked him as Agent Cooper.

lisavilisa

• Peltast
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:09 PM
Which is really too bad!  Also too bad that Kyle Mclachland hasn't been in more stuff that I like in the meantime.  I really liked him as Agent Cooper.

He played Trey, Charlottes first husband in "Sex and the City"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 04:09:04 PM

He played Trey, Charlottes first husband in "Sex and the City"

Indeed.  Alas, "Sex in the City" does not fall into the aforementioned category of "stuff that I like".  He had a recurring role in "How I Met Your Mother" last season, and that was fun, but nowhere near as cool as Agent Cooper.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 04:32:34 PM
I like surreal stories, when I'm in the mood for it. Today was such a day--quiet, a little bit lonely, feeling the outsider, too much thinking going on inside me. The whole plot about the water and carnival washed over me (ha!) and I just focused on the mood and beauty of the sentences.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

SmiiiLee

• Extern
Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:56 PM
This was a sushi story.

Nothing wrong with sushi but when you're in the mood for a hamburger even the best sushi still leaves you with an appetite for tomato sauce an small brown crumbly bits.
Much like sushi itself, the story felt like a small bite on a big platter.
I kind of missed the lettuce, the salt and that mushy stuff falling on your clean shirt.
There was just too little context for the story in my taste.
Mind you, I have absolutely no clue how to eat with chopsticks...

I would take sushi over a burger all day any day. If your sushi feels like a small bite on a big platter you aren't ordering enough.

As for the story, I agree it was like sushi. A bit unusual but I really liked it.