Author Topic: What is the most influential Escape Pod episode that you have ever heard?  (Read 16207 times)

Startrekwiki

In opinion, [I do say that phrase a lot, don't I?] I believe that the EP story that influenced me most was the fist story I heard, The Alchamista. I don't know what it was about that amazing written work that I liked, but it was probably the fact that it was the first piece serious short SF that I'd ever heard. The first time I heard EP, I admit that I had no idea what was going on... The beginning intro was good, but it was the story, the reading, the quality that blew me away. I swear I heard that story about a good fifty times, at least.

Anyhow, my question to you is:

What EP story inspired/changed you most?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Robots and Falling Hearts. I went back over that one time and again, still do in fact.  It's just so well structured and at the same time so dynamic, the writing never seeming over structured or getting in the way of the story.

Simon Painter

• Peltast
It's not the best that Escape Pod have ever done, but I absolutely adore Your Corporate Network and the Forces of Darkness, it was one of the funniest things I'd heard in ages.  A wonderful example of dry humour actually done right.

"Save the Squonk!"

Xenomundus

• Palmer
The only one I've listened to more than once (besides some of the Flash) is Connie, Maybe. I don't know if that counts as influential, but I've had a few of my friends listen to it, too. It just gets it all right.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
The Trouble with Death Traps. I think this was the one that made me submit Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw. It also made me laugh out loud on several occasions.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
L'Alchimista was probably the most influential because it was the first Escape Pod ep. I listened to.

I've been an addict ever since.

MEANWHILE - I think Platypus Girl really did it for me because I LOVE biopunk. Made want to start a story in the genre.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
One that I really loved was The Team Mate Reference Problem in Final Stage Demon-Confrontation, which touched my gaming heart.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Padoo

• Extern
I'd have to agree with Alasdair...Robots and Falling Hearts.  The story was structured so well and gave such great imagery.

Runner Up:

The Union Dues series. I'm a huge fan of superheros facing realistic problems.

VBurn

• Peltast
  • I am just an egg
I liked Joe Steele, the style was so unique.  So unique I kept waiting for the author to screw it up but he never did.  I always liked alternative history, but the headline style just made it seem more real, more like I was living in the alternative history.  I don't think I could ever pull the style, the form, the prose or any other aspect of this story off, but I find if influential because it shows that it can be done. 

I still have Feb to Aug of 06 to catch up on so my answer is subject to change.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Since I only started listening recently... my fav is "Just Do It." It's so creepy because it's so plausible giving the right technology. If the craving darts were developed tomorrow, I'm sure hundreds of corporations would ban together to pass a bill legalizing their use.

I listened to it for the first time this week and everyday I've been telling someone about it. Everyone I tell seems to agree that it is a very real and scary concept.

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
I dunno if the author is watching this, but if she's not, I'm sure she'd love to hear that. A link to her blog: http://www.randomjane.com/

Startrekwiki

Sorry to bother you all once more, but my runner-up to most influential would be either Joe Steele, or The Trouble with Death Traps. Problem is, I can't choose which is better! They're both amazing stories.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
One that I still think about periodically is The Clockwork Atom Bomb, a Hugo Award Nominee.

The thought of those enormous black chess pawns sucking all forms of matter into themselves until they obliterate the world gives me the shivers, and the cavalier attitude toward the danger to all mankind by the obtuse public officials who have propped up their careers on the things is wonderfully maddening. I'll have to listen to that one again.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
I have some catching up to do but it's a toss-up between "Cinderella Suicide" because I love the feel and narration of that story and I dream about writing something in that vein; and "I Look Forward to Remembering You," because that's probably the most a story on EP has ever touched me. 

Laieanna

• Palmer
I have to go with Connie, Connie Maybe.  That was the first story I heard on Escape Pod.  When I discovered this podcast, that was the latest episode.  Not only did it make me laugh, but the concept was great, and the narration was fantastic.  Needless to say, it forced me to gobble up all the previous episodes, and my interest in storytelling podcasts has branched out from there.

Working on my comeback

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
I'd have to say "Joe Steele", in my book, but as far as raw controversy goes, "Blood of Virgins" brought a lot of debate around here.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

PHaring

There are many that stand out in my mind as those which have influenced me.  I can come up with several shows right off the top of my head, but I think I'm going to have to cast my vote for "I look forward to remembering you."  It ran a wonderful gamut of emotions and had the kind of ending and twist that just sneaks up on you without realizing it.

Zathras

I'm relatively new to Escape Pod.  I  would choose The 43 Antarean Dynasties because it reminds me of my trips to Mexico.   I hit a nerve and I loved the back story.  Looking forward to hearing some of the ones mentioned previously.  Hopefully they will show up on EP Classic. 

Michael

• Peltast
I Look Forward To Remembering You.

Russell Nash

I Look Forward To Remembering You.

Ditto, The "Star Galatica Trek Wars" sci-fi has weakened sci-fi in my eyes. I love a good shoot em up, but most sci-fi seems to go for the bang and then see if they can make a story out of it. 

I Look For ward To Remembering You is just an amazing story that needs sci-fi to make it possible. It's like Mur had this idea and said, "How can I pull this off?"

I don't even know if the ending was predictable, because I was so wrapped up in it , my mind wasn't going further on than that instant.

Zombie Llama

• Extern
I'd have to say Tk'tk'tk, if for no other reason than it was the first one I'd heard. ;D Been loving it ever since!

peak

• Extern
well, this one is really old, and most people had probably already read it, but I think "Nightfall" was the most influential EP I ever listened to. Its scary to think about a civilization like that falling apart on itself that quickly, especially when you realize that our society is a lot like that one, but with more lights.

Just Another Souless Atheist Striving for Peace and Harmony in the World.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Since I only started listening recently... my fav is "Just Do It." It's so creepy because it's so plausible giving the right technology. If the craving darts were developed tomorrow, I'm sure hundreds of corporations would ban together to pass a bill legalizing their use.

I listened to it for the first time this week and everyday I've been telling someone about it. Everyone I tell seems to agree that it is a very real and scary concept.

I agree with you.  "Just Do It" was my first EP story, after being hounded for a few months by the guy in the next cubicle, who has been listening to EP a lot longer.  It was a perfect start for me, because I love stories that are just the next step up in time/technology.  Plus, given that I work in the TV field and work a lot with sales and advertisers, both scheduling and designing as well as figuring out where to put ads so people will see them and how to run/position them so the message is retained even if the ad is ostensibly ignored...

Anyway.

I also thought the story had an excellent twist-ending that I really wasn't expecting.  I suppose if I'd been listening with a more critical ear I might have heard it coming, but it did surprise me at the time, and that's always a plus.  Right up there with "Bruce Willis is already dead" and "Samuel L Jackson is evil" and "Kenneth Brannaugh really WASN'T Roman".

(That last one is from my wife's favorite movie.)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

JoeFitz

• Matross
I'd have to say Tk'tk'tk, if for no other reason than it was the first one I'd heard. ;D Been loving it ever since!

Tk'tk'tk resonates with me ever since I heard it. Thank you Escape Pod!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Shadowboxer.  Starts off as a "good guy, bad guy" kind of thing, but then with the kids, the canadian prime minister, the president... when to 'sides' cease to exist?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?