Author Topic: Military sci fi  (Read 4835 times)

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
on: November 15, 2007, 09:59:03 PM
Let me start by apolugusing becaws I have no spell checker for my blackberry.
Then let me thank Mr Eley for an incredable podcast. Now I may be in the minority but I like stories of brave humans blasting evil aliens to bits. And I know that it has been a long standing policy that if it isn't escapepod good then it dosent get bought. So as all of my mehegr writing talents are curently tied up in fanticy would somebody please submit some good bug hunts

Improvise, Adapt ,Overcome.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:48:31 PM
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein.  There must be many more out there.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:50:46 PM
If you're looking for military SF then any of the following are a good bit:

The Serrano Series
-A period Royal Navy style Fleet and how one ex-officer interacts with the political manouvering of the families that run settled space.  Good but be prepared to wade through a lot of stuff about the technical aspects of horse riding in the first book.

As I understand it, anything by David Weber

The War against the Chtorr trilogy by David Gerrold
May be very difficult to find now but incredibly good.  We lose, in the first fifty pages, basically, as an alien race start terra-forming the planet.

Not quite bug hunt but huge fun (And now free on Project Gutenberg) is Space Prison by Tom Godwin.

CJ Cherryh's Fleet books are also well worth a look (RimRunners I remember as being particularly good)

There's also a fantastic series about a war with huge, fish-like aliens that are their own ships.  For the life of me I can't remember the titles or authors, I'll find out and post it tomorrow.

Also also, whilst it's not military SF the Sector General books by James White touch on the field.  Fascinating stories about the only cross-species hospital.  Think ER with extra gravity.  And limbs.  And teeth...

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 06:24:30 AM
Best Military Sci-fi series IMO- World War Series by Harry Turtledove.

Alternate history about WW2...then BAM aliens attack Earth in the middle.  Epic and amazing,check it out.

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:52:50 PM
If you want to see something animated along those lines, see if you can get your hands on the first season of Star Blazers, AKA Space Battleship Yamato.

As for me, I get my military sci-fi fix by going back and playing StarCraft.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:02:09 PM
If you want to see something animated along those lines, see if you can get your hands on the first season of Star Blazers, AKA Space Battleship Yamato.

As for me, I get my military sci-fi fix by going back and playing StarCraft.

I was a Starblazers addict as a kid.  It hit afternoon TV just after Star Wars.

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 06:21:13 AM
I've always found Turtledove's work more interesting in theory than in practice. I read a couple of his alternative history novels where the South won the Civil War, and while he certainly has an impressive command of history, I found his writing a little dull.

One series I absolutely loved was David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, which basically takes the culture of the old British navy and puts it in space. Another series I've often seen, but never read was David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:17:46 AM
try the Forever War by Joe Haldeman, or Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Having been in the military, I found these 2 writers to have rather realistic characters and good insight. The Scalzi book is the first of 3 set in that world, as is the Haldeman book.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:21:16 AM by Kurt Faler »

goatkeeper

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 01:11:01 PM
I've always found Turtledove's work more interesting in theory than in practice. I read a couple of his alternative history novels where the South won the Civil War, and while he certainly has an impressive command of history, I found his writing a little dull.

One series I absolutely loved was David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, which basically takes the culture of the old British navy and puts it in space. Another series I've often seen, but never read was David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

Turtledove's Guns of the South are a bit dull.  I was very engaged throughout the World War series though- far more speculation, good characters, great story line

scottbp

• Extern
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:01:36 AM
I just remembered a series I read long ago Alan dean foster called the damned trilogy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_Trilogy

ADF actually has quite a few interesting books to check out...

Or you could try a niven and pournelle adventure
"Footfall", "the mote in god's eye" known space books... lots to pick from there

Or you could try to find some michael mcollum
For a conventional space opera type story, which I enjoyed many years ago when I first read it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_McCollum

so...
try those

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:02:01 PM
Try "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.  Reminds me of Heilein, but with some nice twists.