Author Topic: I've seen enough hentai...  (Read 4452 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: July 30, 2012, 11:06:11 AM
So last night I was working on my book and I came across the perfect place to use the "I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going" meme in the text.

I really hope that, if I ever sell this book, the editor lets me leave it in there.

The previous chapter has a reference to lolcats.

I suppose there's a larger discussion here about just how much pop-culture and current-meme stuff should go into a novel, but I'm not really feeling up to setting it up. You can, if you like.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

SonofSpermcube

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:50:23 AM
So last night I was working on my book and I came across the perfect place to use the "I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going" meme in the text.

I really hope that, if I ever sell this book, the editor lets me leave it in there.

The previous chapter has a reference to lolcats.

I'd like to say "you're not selling this book" but in a world where Cory Doctorow is a prominent SF author I can't rule it out. 

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:55:16 PM
"I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going" has the benefit of working as a funny phrase even if you aren't familiar with the meme.  I would hope this makes a difference.  I say leave it in!

I think jokes that have an in-joke pop-culture layer beneath have a certain extra value that bland pop-culture references do not.

Also, Cory Doctorow's books hardly seem like the biggest offender in terms of pop-culture references.  Of course, I've loved every one of his books, so maybe I'm biased.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:43:18 PM
For what it's worth, the book is done now and I've been submitting it around. The line stayed in. If an editor asks me to take it out and has a good reason, then I will. But it's a throwaway; I'm sure I can successfully argue for it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42