Author Topic: Best EP Flash Fiction So Far  (Read 8235 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:12 PM
Going through voting withdrawls?  Here's the cure.  While preparing to write and submit my 300 word flash stories for the ongoing contest, I went back and re-listened to all of the flash stories on EP.  I recommend doing that to everyone.  I enjoyed most all of them, but here's the ones that stood out to me:

Strange Girlfriend by Scott Janssens
Pennywhistle by Greg van Eekhout
Wetting the Bed by Heather Shaw
Mount Dragon by Vera Nazarian
Fools Seldom Differ by Jeff Noyle
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:43:07 PM by kmmrlatham »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:57:17 PM
I was hoping more people would vote in this poll and also share their favorite EP flash stories.  Maybe when the 300-word flash contest is over, people will have more time to go back and listen to the archives of EP flash.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:17:27 PM
If we're judging best by ones that we kept to listen to over and over (and that's usually how I judge them) there would be two :

Printcrime by Cory Doctorow
One Million Years B.F.E.  by Merrie Haskell

Honorable mention goes to "Nightshift in the Automart" by Andrew Gudgel, I listened to it twice.

However, that omits the various and sundry Eekhout story grenades that I have greatly enjoyed, but figured I didn't need to enjoy more than once.  I mentioned elsewhere that "Airedale" was the first Escape Pod I ever heard and I new I was onto something good when I did.  I also quite liked "Pennywhistle". 

A lot of the flash turned on a flash of something new, and once the newness is uncovered, didn't really stand up to repeat listenings for me.

OTOH, I think a great many of our flash contest contestants who took a stab at humor for their flash could stand to listen to "One Million Years B.F.E." because it's hilarious and the funny is really well-done (and I know I'm not even getting all the anthro jokes).

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:03 PM
Whenever I need a little cheering up I listen to Paul Bunyan and the Photocopier, by Larry Hammer.  It has a permenant place on my mp3 player

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:40:11 PM
The Uncanny Valley.  It was so perfect and funny and had a great ending.
Nightshift in the Automart was awesome, too.  Lord of Light meets Clerks.
Pennywhistle was absolutely chilling.
Printcrime.

I haven't listened to a lot of the others, so I'll keep watching this list so I'll know what to check out next.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 03:33:35 AM
Whenever I need a little cheering up I listen to Paul Bunyan and the Photocopier, by Larry Hammer.  It has a permenant place on my mp3 player

Then you should vote for it in the above poll.  It hasn't received any votes yet.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:22 PM
Since voting has stalled for several weeks now, I'll call the winners for this little poll:

1st Place (tie):  Pennywhistle, by Greg van Eekhout
                      Printcrime, by Cory Doctorow

2nd Place:  Nightshift in the Automart, by Andrew Gudgel

3rd Place:  The Teammate Reference Problem in Final-Stage Demon Confrontation, by Constance Cooper

All good stories!

You can continue to vote if you like, but definately do yourself the favor of listening to all of these flash stories if you haven't already done so.