Author Topic: More Union Dues  (Read 27090 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: March 01, 2007, 09:46:14 PM
Just wondering if there are any more Union Dues episodes in the works.  I really like this series, and look forward to hearing more episodes.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 04:08:10 AM
I've been writing them like crazy :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:38:00 PM
Excellent news!  I've been really enjoying the series.

One question, though, is there an overarching plan for the series?  Or is it mostly a series of utterly unrelated stories on the same theme?

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 05:31:34 PM
Excellent news!  I've been really enjoying the series.

One question, though, is there an overarching plan for the series?  Or is it mostly a series of utterly unrelated stories on the same theme?

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

Great question. I think it's inevitable now that there is some progressive thread through the stories. Initially, back before Escape Pod was even a glint in Steve's eye, there were five short stories that led to a full length novel -

Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw
Heart and Souls
Off White Lies
Freedom's Burden
The Deep End

Of these stories only two have appeared at Escape Pod from this original list, Iron Bars and Off-White Lies, though I've submitted all but one of them, "Freedom's Burden". "Heart and Souls" has been completely rewritten now as "Send in the Clowns", "The Deep End" was rewritten as "A Handshake, A Gold Watch, A Candle" and Freedom's Burden is being rewritten now.

The point of the stories was to lead to the novel where a billionaire industrialist decides to eliminate the Union as his first step in seizing the US Government. He nearly succeeds. The Novel follows the characters from the Miami Pyramid, who appear fully in A Handshake, A Gold Watch, A Candle, and the main characters from Freedom's Burden, as well as a few sympathetic normals, and of course, a real, honest to goodness villain.

Now, however, in the intervening years and as the series as become so popular here at Escape Pod, I've changed or edited the stories to add more pre-novel chaos to the series. The novel will more than likely be cannibalized for more short stories later, but who knows. It's third person, and reads very strangely compared to the shorts. I don't think fans of the series would dig the change in presentation in the novel for that reason.

Anyway, the way I have set up the series now, there are 10 stories in the "Union Dues" series. These are

Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw (Megaton in jail, features Darksider as a cameo)

Off-White Lies (Nova, the Luminary, creates a villain team led by Emerald Blaze. Ultra Magnus and Johnny Proton make cameo appearances)

A Handshake, A Gold Watch, A Candle (Johnny Proton and Titanica deal with Ultra Magnus' festering madness, i.e. the flip side to Off-White Lies)

The Baby and the Bathwater (Kinetic Girl recruits the baby. Darksider makes a cameo appearance)

Cleanup in Aisle 5 (Skeleton Steele has a bad day at Super Mall Mart. Titanica makes a cameo appearance)

Send in the Clowns (Jenny Chrome makes a laughing stock out of the Union. Megaton and Darksider are secondary characters. Skeleton Steele makes cameo appearance)

All That We Leave Behind (Tim Armstrong manifests and makes a deal with Megaton)

The Time of our Lives (Spoonbender is drummed out of the Union for incompetence. Jenny Chrome is a secondary character as is Tim Armstrong)

Tabula Rasa (Captain Colossal loses his memory following a horrific injury. Skeleton Steele is a secondary character. This is the only story told from the POV of a normal)

All About the Sponsors (A Luminary dies. The remaining Luminaries must now set the course for the Union, this story flashes back to the creation of The Union in the 1950s)

The original series is supposed to end with "All About the Sponsors". This story tells the origin of the Union as the death of a Luminary threatens to expose decades of buried deception to the general public. Of these ten stories the only one that may not survive is Tabula Rasa, I wrote it seven different times from seven different angles and I just can't make the damn thing work. I've also pulled most of the ethical stuff from that as padding for the second series of stories so it's sort of moot. If I was to make all of these truly stand-alone it would be very difficult to maintain reader/listener interest as I'd have to constantly re-intruduce concepts, rules, and jargon that is used in each story leaving less and less time for the actual story. I'd also run the risk of having to write almost nothing but origin stories, and no one wants that. The reason that so many characters appear in each others stories is that it helps set a linear timeline without truly serializing the series.

For example, in A Handshake, A Gold Watch, A Candle, Titanica is punished for her sexual relationship with Johnny Proton and transferred to Salt Lake City. She shows up in the jet during Cleanup in Aisle 5 because she is in transit to Salt Lake City. It's a way for me to keep track of the events that tie the stories loosely together and therefore maintain some semblance of continuity. Darksider's appearances lead to his final showing in All About the Sponsors, but by then he's a changed character and when the true history of the Union is revealed, deals with it completely differently than he would have if the revelations happened in Iron Bars. His character has the most cameos and he is meant to represent the audience's growing jaded attitude towards the Union and its leadership.

Finally, without being able to reflect on some measure of the past events in the past stories, or foreshadow something in the future, like, for example, the dissolusion of the Union, there would be less reason to listen to them. The stories are carefully written to avoid being a serial though, and can, for the most part, be enjoyed as stand alone tales, but to really enjoy the scope of the series hearing all the stories makes for a more well defined and thorough experience.

You coul also think of the first ten stories like a game of Jenga, and each story is another piece of the Union that's taken out. By the tenth story the whole Union is ready to collapse.

"Freedom's Burden" will become a transition story leading to a five story set called, loosely, "The Team Shikaragaki Stories", the first of which, "The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro" is already in final draft.

The first ten stories doesn't mean I won't go back and write more within that particular time frame of the universe, but I am concentrating now on the personal stories in the second series, which will bring a much more intimate dimension to the UD universe.

And hey, don't tell anyone, but Union Dues might even be a TV show in a year or two!

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:56:42 PM
Union Dues might even be a TV show in a year or two!
And after that, instead of yakkin' it up with you in forums online, we'll have to queue up to get your autograph at Comic Con!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:26:59 PM by Jim »

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:45:33 PM
So... when will the graphic novels come out?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 06:56:37 PM

I know this will sound unusual, but never if I have anything to say about it. I wrote these stories to try and capture the feel of a comic/graphic novel without the visuals believing that if I was descriptive enough the reader would create the panels as they read (or listened) and thus the stories would have a unique look for every single reader/listener. So if you like the visual style of John Byrne, the characters are all very angular, if you like the style of Bernie Wrightson, they are more bulgy and classical, if you like Steve Ditko, then they are all semi-abstract (showing my age here I know... I haven't collected comics since 1985). To be able to duplicate that same experience with the visuals presented by someone is impossible, so I like that the reader has to make up the pictures, poses, dialogue bubbles, "THWAKs, BANGs, and POWs".

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:09:07 AM
while a graphic novel would be cool, id like to keep picturing a Sin City type artwork for it.  For me its a mix of Sin City and Patrick McLean's "How to Succeed in Evil" (great great great podcast by the way, i HIGHLY recommend it and the Seanachai, tho updates are rare now)

i did not realize that there was a novel!  could you provide a link for it so that when i get money i can buy it? :P

anyways, i agree with lowky here, i'd loooove to hear more Union Dues in the future!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:57:25 AM
while a graphic novel would be cool, id like to keep picturing a Sin City type artwork for it.  For me its a mix of Sin City and Patrick McLean's "How to Succeed in Evil" (great great great podcast by the way, i HIGHLY recommend it and the Seanachai, tho updates are rare now)

i did not realize that there was a novel!  could you provide a link for it so that when i get money i can buy it? :P

anyways, i agree with lowky here, i'd loooove to hear more Union Dues in the future!

I should have specified... "unpublished" novel. I still don't know if I am going to try and publish it, though I might have some decent traction now that the stories are so popular here.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:37:40 PM
I know this will sound unusual, but never if I have anything to say about it. I wrote these stories to try and capture the feel of a comic/graphic novel without the visuals believing that if I was descriptive enough the reader would create the panels as they read (or listened) and thus the stories would have a unique look for every single reader/listener. So if you like the visual style of John Byrne, the characters are all very angular, if you like the style of Bernie Wrightson, they are more bulgy and classical, if you like Steve Ditko, then they are all semi-abstract (showing my age here I know... I haven't collected comics since 1985). To be able to duplicate that same experience with the visuals presented by someone is impossible, so I like that the reader has to make up the pictures, poses, dialogue bubbles, "THWAKs, BANGs, and POWs".

That's a really great point, and something I'd totally overlooked.
You really have captured a comic book feel that translates well in to radio dramas, so well in fact that I have a rather concrete image of the characters and might be disappointed if they were drawn in a style other than I visualize them.
Thanks for writing them!

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 03:29:48 PM

That's a really great point, and something I'd totally overlooked.
You really have captured a comic book feel that translates well in to radio dramas, so well in fact that I have a rather concrete image of the characters and might be disappointed if they were drawn in a style other than I visualize them.
Thanks for writing them!

Now I have to know how you see them! Is there an artist in particular that you draw your mental images from?

Jim

• Matross
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:50 PM
I picture them as CGI characters like CoH and The Incredibles.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:15 PM
What your describing (short stories that preclude a novel) sounds similar to how Asimov developed his Robot stories and novels.  I'm glad to see you have a master plan and I'm looking forward to reading/listening/watching.

As an aside:
I once listened to an audiobook version of a Batman graphic novel.  It seemed like every other scene was:
Villain: "It's Batman!" 
(20 seconds of fisticuff sound effects) 
Rescued former victim: "Thanks, Batman."

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 05:24:13 PM
What your describing (short stories that preclude a novel) sounds similar to how Asimov developed his Robot stories and novels.  I'm glad to see you have a master plan and I'm looking forward to reading/listening/watching.

I always think of short stories in series of threes, and three groups of three stories per group. Then I have to make sure to add one or two to get an even number.

I am not Adrian Monk, honest.

As an aside:
I once listened to an audiobook version of a Batman graphic novel.  It seemed like every other scene was:
Villain: "It's Batman!" 
(20 seconds of fisticuff sound effects) 
Rescued former victim: "Thanks, Batman."

Sounds like The Death of Mary Queen of Scots sketch :)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:40 PM

Sounds like The Death of Mary Queen of Scots sketch :)

LOL

except that Monty Python was funny on purpose.  :P

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Jim

• Matross
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 07:05:11 PM
"I think she's dead."
"No I'm not..."

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 06:08:41 PM
Now I have to know how you see them! Is there an artist in particular that you draw your mental images from?

It's a collaboration between Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan) and Steve Dillon (Preacher). Slightly exaggerated, but still realistic, proportions, gestures, and facial expressions. The world is a bit grittier, and set in a more than modern city; maybe, 30-50 years from now? The shadows need to be a little heavy, because this is some gritty material, but not spy-novel dark. The action should be the kind you can only do in a comic book, with bones, blood, and bruises (and comic book physics of course), but nothing that goes so far it breaks believability. These are "real" superheroes in the real world.

Creeperz

• Extern
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 07:52:39 AM
Anyway, the way I have set up the series now, there are 10 stories in the "Union Dues" series.

I would love to see you get these out I loved the Stories I have Heard so far. I think something like a podobooks Format Would really Seam to fit the story lines that you have Set up here. Again i hope to see more of you work. and hope to be able to buy some in the future. but Since i can not do that right now I think I going to run off and make a donations on the EP website

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 12:54:12 PM
Anyway, the way I have set up the series now, there are 10 stories in the "Union Dues" series.

I would love to see you get these out I loved the Stories I have Heard so far. I think something like a podobooks Format Would really Seam to fit the story lines that you have Set up here. Again i hope to see more of you work. and hope to be able to buy some in the future. but Since i can not do that right now I think I going to run off and make a donations on the EP website

The next story, Send in the Clowns, will appear here at Escape Pod very soon. I want to keep the UD stories as Escape Pod exclusive, and here's why.

I had originally written five Union Dues stories between 1992 and about 2000, but I couldn't land them anywhere. During that time, the most civil reply I ever received to a query was "We don't publish superhero stories", the least civil was "no way - never", in between these I received a whole lot of "dear writer, than you for showing us your story...".

Anyway, I bumped into Escape Pod at www.ralan.com and saw that it was a podcast, sort of like radio theater, and a paying market. I queried Steve and he said "Sure, send them over". The rest is history. And I have absolutely loved the way each one has been produced so far, I love that they are easy to share with friends and family, and I love that each story has allowed me to take Mrs. DeRego out for a nice dinner on Escape Pod's dime :)

Steve Eley and Escape Pod took a chance on me when no one else would and I was pretty sure the only people who would ever see the Union Dues stories would be the writer's group I was in, or my kids and wife. 

I am hoping to compile the original 10 Union Dues stories, and the five Team ShiKaragaki stories into a volume and sell it to a publisher. However, the urge to put a limited volume together of all the published stories and two unpublished ones, including something special like a first draft of Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw, then publish it through Lulu is very tempting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:20:41 PM by jrderego »

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 02:57:14 PM
I am hoping to compile the original 10 Union Dues stories, and the five Team ShiKaragaki stories into a volume and sell it to a publisher. However, the urge to put a limited volume together of all the published stories and two unpublished ones, including something special like a first draft of Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw, then publish it through Lulu is very tempting.

Mark me down for a copy.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 03:43:54 PM
I'll take one.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 03:58:31 PM
What those guys said.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 05:47:29 PM
Mark me down for a copy.
I'll take one.
What those guys said.

That's three orders in an hour.  Not Harry Potter, but not bad.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:49:21 PM by Russell Nash »

Creeperz

• Extern
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 06:48:10 PM

The next story, Send in the Clowns, will appear here at Escape Pod very soon. I want to keep the UD stories as Escape Pod exclusive, and here's why.

GREAT!!!! Can not wait to here it....

put me down for a copy to

OK another idea then With a lot of What ifs
If you likes the idea ....
If Steve likes the idea 
If Steve would produced  them....
Put them as a separate collection on Pod disk
 (and then over time Steve can put them in to Escape pod as canned shows)

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 10:15:02 PM
so have you never thort about starting youre own pod cast?

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 08:40:29 PM
so have you never thort about starting youre own pod cast?

Nope. I have limited writing time as it is, and further sacrificing that with audio recording, editing, posting, and stuff just isn't something I have any interest in at all.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 11:41:32 AM
Add me to the list of future buyers.

pralala

• Extern
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 02:53:12 PM
I just relistened to Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw last night, and was just wondering when we'd see more. Yay for checking the forums!

I'd buy a compilation, but add me to the small (existant?) minority that would prefer all of them collected as audio - IBatGJ was one of the first stories I listened to on EP and I love the series translated to audio. ;)

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 08:42:23 PM
Coming Soon to Escape Pod!

Union Dues: All That We Leave Behind.

So, two in queue! I look forward to your comments when these air.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 05:03:19 PM
WOO!! HOO!!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 05:24:17 PM
Coming Soon to Escape Pod!

Union Dues: All That We Leave Behind.

So, two in queue! I look forward to your comments when these air.

Awesome!  Now I have to know...are you a U2 fan?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 06:19:31 PM
Awesome!  Now I have to know...are you a U2 fan?

Nope. I never really found an affinity for their music. There are a few songs that I can listen to and enjoy occasionally, but the vast majority of their stuff leaves me cold.

Now I have to ask... Why? Is "All That We Leave Behind" a lyric of theirs or something?

eytanz

Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:11 PM
U2 has an album called "all that you can't leave behind", which I'm guessing is the connection.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 07:57:53 PM
U2 has an album called "all that you can't leave behind", which I'm guessing is the connection.

That is the connection, although I'm sure the phrase has been around for much longer than that. 

Looking forward to the story!

Reggie

• Palmer
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 08:07:23 PM
I just listened to the first Union Dues story today from Escape Pod Classic.

Awesome stuff, and I too would like more...in any form...even if I have to pay for it, lol.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 08:20:57 PM
I just listened to the first Union Dues story today from Escape Pod Classic.

Awesome stuff, and I too would like more...in any form...even if I have to pay for it, lol.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the others until Send in the Clowns is posted - they are all available in the archives or at EP Classic, or on the Archive CDs. They are -

Off-White Lies
The Baby and the Bathwater
Cleanup in Aisle Five

Hope you dig them :)

I can't wait for Send in the Clowns to hit...

There's a special appearance by an old friend that should please all of you.

;) ;D

Reggie

• Palmer
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 10:35:30 PM
Very cool, I just started listening recently, but I did get the archive CDs right away, I'll be going through those shortly.

8)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 02:33:45 AM
*to the tune of the Klondike bar commercials*
What would you do for more Union Dues?

would you... bark like a dog?
would you... bug Steve about it?
would you... stalk the author?

i dunno... twas a random idea that popped into my crazy lil head.

peak

• Extern
Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 05:38:37 AM
that's fantastic news. Off White Lies was one of the best stories I've ever heard or read. This next comment may be a little outdated, but if you do do a TV show, please, PLEASE, no live action. it doesn't work with superheros if there are more than 5 in the same show, movie, whatever. At least, not without a massive special effects budget and a lot of time. Animate, for the sake of the writing. Which is great.

Just Another Souless Atheist Striving for Peace and Harmony in the World.

Reggie

• Palmer
Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 03:16:19 PM
I'll second that point too...it could actually be the like tv show and comics that are referred to in the stories, but maybe a little darker and edgier for us grownups?

;D

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 03:58:27 PM
that's fantastic news. Off White Lies was one of the best stories I've ever heard or read. This next comment may be a little outdated, but if you do do a TV show, please, PLEASE, no live action. it doesn't work with superheros if there are more than 5 in the same show, movie, whatever. At least, not without a massive special effects budget and a lot of time. Animate, for the sake of the writing. Which is great.

Unfortunately, the production company that was interested in Union Dues couldn't put together a workable deal to bring it to the small screen... That said, the responses they had to their pitch for the series was "this should be animated, like, on Adult Swim or something similar."

The problem was the production company didn't have any animation savvy assets (they were a very small production company).

So it doesn't look like a TV show is forthcoming. However, if one TV producer is an EP listener and showed interest, there are bound to be others. And everytime a UD story posts there is a definite spike in interest and a chance that someone else will make an offer. So who knows what the future holds.

As it stands now I am trying to complete the Team Shikaragaki stories (the second Union Dues series), and with them complete the entire run of tales will be about 80k words. Plenty enough to pitch to a publishing company for a volume.

And before anyone asks if I'll out one out through lulu, I won't.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 05:05:08 AM by jrderego »

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2007, 10:01:35 PM
It's only a matter of time for you, Jeff.  I'm confident your work will receive a wide-release incarnation at some point, be it on film or otherwise.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

MacMuse

• Extern
Reply #42 on: October 19, 2007, 02:18:46 PM
Just saw the new post (Send in the Clowns) and before I even listen to it I had to:

1 - re-download all the previous episodes in preparation for a road trip this weekend
2 - join the forums here and say ...

Keep up the good work - you've got a fantastic concept.

Not that I have a vote in what you do with your "franchise", but I hope you can steer it toward live action and its implicit reliance on story and character over an animation presentation.

I am an EP listener from the beginning, and this is the type of storyline that keeps me coming back for more.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #43 on: October 19, 2007, 05:45:34 PM
Just saw the new post (Send in the Clowns) and before I even listen to it I had to:

1 - re-download all the previous episodes in preparation for a road trip this weekend
2 - join the forums here and say ...

Keep up the good work - you've got a fantastic concept.

Not that I have a vote in what you do with your "franchise", but I hope you can steer it toward live action and its implicit reliance on story and character over an animation presentation.

I am an EP listener from the beginning, and this is the type of storyline that keeps me coming back for more.

Thanks MacMuse! I have no idea what I'll do with these stories going forward, right now I am thrilled to have a place for them at Escape Pod, and such an appreciative audience of listeners. And there must be at least one listener who is a producer, or knows a producer, that might be interested in adapting the stories for television or an editor, or knows an editor, who'd like to release a collection of the stories in print form. I'm pitching them to editors and agents, if I get a hit from one of them, this'll be the first place I post about it.

As for the future here at EP - There's at least one more story in queue here already "All That We Leave Behind", and a half dozen more in various states of rewrite and submissions preparation. I always offer them to EP first.

Glad you liked this one, and the others. It's tremendously gratifying to hear that I am connecting with the audience!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 04:56:00 AM
must be frustrating to have all this acclaim and incredible positive feedback on escape pod, whose listeners span great distances, yet still be turned down by editors. :( good luck man, love the stories

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 03:51:26 PM
"Union Dues: Freedom with a Small f"

Coming soon to Escape Pod

:)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 04:21:18 PM
Rabid Fanboy #6, checking in to say "WOO-HOO!"

Russell Nash

Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 04:11:31 PM
I just listened to Jeff's EP back catalogue and I will be posting Episode comment threads for all of the stories soon.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 04:14:20 PM
I just listened to Jeff's EP back catalogue and I will be posting Episode comment threads for all of the stories soon.

If its easier to manage, a general Union Dues thread would probably work just as well rather than having 7 (or 8, or 10) threads.

Russell Nash

Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

If its easier to manage, a general Union Dues thread would probably work just as well rather than having 7 (or 8, or 10) threads.

I think it will be 4 more UD threads and one for Ambient Sleaze.  I won't put them all up at one time.  I think my final goal is a story thread for every episode.  I just want to space them all out, so I don't flood the place.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #50 on: April 01, 2008, 04:34:42 PM
OK, I just finished listening to the older UD stories. Off-White Lies was probably my least favourite (but that's not saying very much), and Cleanup in Aisle Five is definitely the best so far.

I'd like to see the individual stories tie in together more but, I imagine that going too far in that direction would make Steve less likely to buy them, because it would be too confusing for new listeners.

I'd also be very interested in knowing what's going on with supers outside of Amerca? Do they have similar join-or-be-exiled organisations, or do they have more freedom to just do their own thing? Is the Union likely to merge with foreign organisations? Or are supers a purely American phenomenon? I imagine there are a few stories buried under those questions ;)

Also, I definitely want to play Aberrant again...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:00 PM
Coming soon to Escape Pod!

Union Dues: All About the Sponsors