Author Topic: EP364: Techno-Rat  (Read 15090 times)

smFish

• Extern
Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:17 PM
I, too, had trouble understanding the words.  I'm not sure if I can blame the unfamiliar accent.  I was thinking to ask for some more articulation myself.  Because of this, I didn't get all the details of the story, but that didn't seem entirely necessary.

At first I though how clever to use the new guy as a reason for all the exposition, but unfortunately the story never seemed to develop beyond a "this is how a techno-rat steals a super-high tech car."  It was all talk about what was happening and about to happen with no conflict which never particularly engaged me.  There wasn't even a high speed chase!  The twist did surprise me, and I thought the way the cop turned around the words thief's was neat, but it couldn't make up for 25 minutes of exposition.

+1

I'm going to break the rules and chime in with this one.  Gave up a few minutes in because I felt the reading was going a mile a minute and couldn't separate the words.  I think I commented on another reading by Alasdair - I love it when he reads his own work in the Psuedopod intros and outros but have had a hard time when he narrates a story.  Especially when I've tried to listen to a podcast in a car, as the reading tends to get stepped on by road noise.

Slower and more better enunciated for me, please.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:08 PM
Strangely, me not having English as a mother tongue and all, but I did not have any difficulty following this. Perhaps living in Europe makes me a bit more resistant to accent. The reading was otherwise what lifted this story above what was otherwise an only moderately exciting little spin on appearances, loyalty and security.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:01 PM
I blame my college for finding accents normally not even remotely an issue and I love Alasdair's readings, the story was a bit on the fluff size, I felt, but fine fluffy fluff overall.

SonofSpermcube

Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:43:51 AM
I didn't buy the name "Technodyne" for a high-end vehicle.  As a manufacturer of the security system, sure.  That could just be my 21st century sense of branding aesthetics, but if I saw that as a company name nowadays, I'd think "military hardware engineering subcontractor."  A luxury brand is either going to have some simple yet to Anglophonic ears exotic-sounding surname as its name; or some nonsense word that sounds similar enough to a real word or combination of words to evoke the ideas they represent ("Lexus," "Acura"); or some combination of the two ("Rinspeed"). 

Other than that, I liked this story.  Kind of like Badger getting busted on Breaking Bad.