Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 72: The Best Worst Monster  (Read 9340 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:31 PM

#5: Right, it was the Head Vocabuvore, played by Rachel Swirsky.

Or alternately, the same quote by me as the all the other Vocabuvores. 

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 07:56:21 AM
My OCD is acting up. Could we please split this discussion off to its own thread?
Thank you.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 01:51:19 PM
Um... question?
These days, when ringtones don't need to be MIDI files and can be just about any audio file, nearly anybody with 10 minutes of free time and access to Audacity (free as in beer and speech) can make their own ringtone.
So if I were a person who needed an incentive to donate to EA, and you guys dangled a ringtone in front of me I'd be all "So... where's the incentive?"

Well, not everyone knows how to/is interested in learning how generate their own ringtones (or, as Dave points out, hunting down the specific clips). The incentive might not work for you - or for me, for that matter, since I have never yet figured out the attraction of having a ringtone other than whatever factory default comes with whatever phone I'm using - but it will work for some.

Although I do have Audacity and could probably muddle through how to make a ringtone out of my favorite audio-clip, I have enough side-projects going on that I'm not likely to do it.

But incentivizing for ME isn't the goal, since I've already subscribed and intend to stay that way.  I'll gladly take whatever rewards are sent my way, but the incentives are probably really more for people who need to be enticed by something other than "we will keep the podcast going as long as we have the cash to make it happen" which for me is the reason I've subscribed. 

And my personal take on incentives is that the more the merrier.  Someone doesn't like the ringtones--that's not a reason not to offer them, they are just one incentive.  They might like the stories, or might like something else that someone comes up with.

Plus if they were officially distributed, you wouldn't have the legality-of-distribution problem.