Author Topic: Gender & Identity in Online Culture  (Read 69931 times)

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #50 on: March 03, 2007, 11:40:14 PM
Okay, I've just thought of a metaphor that may express what I'm trying to describe.

It's like we're all fish.  We swim in water--we breathe it!  But you don't even notice it, like air, as I said earlier. 

and some fish are stuck up on the beach at low tide shouting "I'm having a hard time, I can barely breathe, there's not enough water!"

And some other fish are swimming around in the ocean saying, "You don't have enough what?  What the heck is it you're complaining about?  I have a hard time too, look at these other bigger fish that might eat me!"  But that doesn't change the fact that they've got water to breathe, and the other fish don't.  And if they could only *see* what the problem was--if they could actually see that they're breathing water, something they never think about, they might be able to figure out some way to be helpful, but as it is they're just swimming around trying to figure out why these other fish are getting upset about nothing.

I'm not demanding apologies and pennance, or getting offended.  I'm just saying--look at the water you're breathing, question the assumptions.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #51 on: March 03, 2007, 11:45:04 PM
I want to be clear that while I did find elements of your post offensive, Tad, I don't think that's the worst thing in the world. We're talking about politics, after all; it's better to offend in discussion than to let these issues fester without ever bringing them to the light of day. I just want to make sure you know that I'm offended by your positions, but not about to toss you out with the bathwater, if that makes any sense.

And I want to make that clear to anyone else reading, too, in case you're afraid to speak because you know I or someone else will be offended. One reason that race and gender relations are so fraught in this country is that people don't discuss them.

Even on minor points about sexism: I've read a lot of internet threads where women talk about the street harrassment they face in big cities like New York, where it's very common to be physically groped -- people counting on women's social training to be passive as the man caresses her breast in a public space. As three or four hundred women share identical experiences, invariably a man comes to the discussion and says, "I didn't realize that happened so much. I didn't realize it was so pervasive." If we don't talk about that, then how can we get to the bigger stuff?

On the race front, I can remember at times being stunned by what I've been told by friends of mine who are black -- for instance, having people spit in their faces because they're holding hands with a white person. Oh my God, I think, does stuff like that still happen? You mean it happens to you regularly?

It's hard to see these things when you are a member of the dominant class. There are a lot of systems that keep them beneath our radar. But they happen. And if we're too scared to talk about race and gender for fear of offending -- me offending you, you offending me -- how can they ever come to light?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: March 04, 2007, 12:06:02 AM
Hi Clint,

I appreciate your willingness to discuss your anxiety in this forum. Thank you.
Your welcome

Race and gender are part of what makes a person who they are. Why should we deny that? 

I'm not sure whether you think I'm arguing this. It's not somethign I believe. If you can point me to places which seem to indicate this is my perspective, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. :)

I'm not saying that you or anyone else said that specifically in this conversation.  I'm just saying that whenever I've had this type of conversation with a
group of people in the past, someone does say something like that. They want to treat everyone as if they came out of the same cookie cutter mold.

Another thing is when people stand up and claim they are proud of their gender and/or ethnicity.  That's part of the KKK stereotype.  "I'm proud to be a white man!"  Why are you proud?  Do you have anything to do with it? ... That's like being proud because you bought a winning lottery ticket.

I think this is very well put.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:07:49 AM by ClintMemo »

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #53 on: March 04, 2007, 02:08:12 AM
And I want to make that clear to anyone else reading, too, in case you're afraid to speak because you know I or someone else will be offended. One reason that race and gender relations are so fraught in this country is that people don't discuss them.

I guess I'm the poster child for that. :P

Even on minor points about sexism: I've read a lot of internet threads where women talk about the street harrassment they face in big cities like New York, where it's very common to be physically groped -- people counting on women's social training to be passive as the man caresses her breast in a public space. As three or four hundred women share identical experiences, invariably a man comes to the discussion and says, "I didn't realize that happened so much. I didn't realize it was so pervasive." If we don't talk about that, then how can we get to the bigger stuff?

On the race front, I can remember at times being stunned by what I've been told by friends of mine who are black -- for instance, having people spit in their faces because they're holding hands with a white person. Oh my God, I think, does stuff like that still happen? You mean it happens to you regularly?

It's hard to see these things when you are a member of the dominant class. There are a lot of systems that keep them beneath our radar. But they happen. And if we're too scared to talk about race and gender for fear of offending -- me offending you, you offending me -- how can they ever come to light?

Well, I think you are listing two examples of "a small minority ruining it for everyone."  Why do I say that? I've never seen someone spit in anyone else's face for any reason and I've never seen anyone do anything that nasty to another person just because they were of another race.   I don't remember ever seeing a guy grope a girl on the street. Maybe I just hang out with better people than that. Seriously, most guys don't do things like that, only the jerks. 

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #54 on: March 04, 2007, 02:20:54 AM
Sure.

But that's how privelege works. When I go out with my parnter who is the same race and opposite sex, we don't get harrassed. If I went out with a partner who was the same sex, I might get harrassed.

Just because only a small minority does hte harrassment doens't mean that life isn't significanlty harder for poeple wo get harrassed.

And again, these are manifestations of sexism and racism within a larger framework. These are overt. Others are more subtle. It all works together in a system.

Startrekwiki

Reply #55 on: March 04, 2007, 05:42:02 AM
Does it matter if one assumes another is the same gender or another race, especially if the avatar in question doesn't give any hints one way or the other?
Yes. It matters.
It matters because it reinforces defaults. It reinforces that the "standard" person is male or white or whatever. That's just not true, and it's offensive, and it's part of what creates and reinforces systems of sexism, racism, etc.

I don't see how it "reinforces" defaults.
When a new name pops up on the forum they have a blank slate, but that slate gets filled quickly.
The most obvious trait is usually gender, it's an issue with very little grey area: You have an innie or an outtie, and if you fall in-between you probably identify one way or the other (but that’s a rude topic to inquire on). Exceptions to this are uncommon enough that I handle them on case-by-case bases.
Next is age/intelligence based on how well the person writes and the kind of subject material they discuss or include. Unlike gender this has a LOT of grey, and is swayed by age, education, and nationality, but some of the information included can be used to tailor your view of the author. You can't remove your voice from your writings so there are always indicators that can be used to form a picture of the author.
I don't often look for more than that, unless someone tips their hand revealing their nationality, race, etc.
Reinforcing a stereotype is something done by members of the stereotyped class. If I thought that all geeks online are male, and met only male geeks online, the stereotype would be reinforced. If I thought that all single moms smoke cigarettes, and all the single moms I met smoke cigarettes, then the stereotypes would be reinforced. So, what if I met a geek online, and they never gave any clues about their gender, and their gender never became an issue, how would it matter if I thought of them as a man?
How about if I met a woman on-line who was a single mom, and she never gave clues about her smoking preferences, how would it change things if I never found out and it never became an issue?
I think the issue isn't that people impose these generic avatars, I think the concern is when a person refuses to change the features of that avatar.
I look for these clues so I have an understanding on how relate with the poster, author, or story. By forming a mental picture of who wrote what, I can guess at what their intentions were and I try to put myself in their shoes. From there I can better appreciate where they're coming from and hopefully better relate my thoughts to them. In terms of this contest it helps me gauge the kind of response that is appropriate to the author.   

Also, how is it any different/better to use a blank avatar on a person who expresses clues about themselves than it is to apply a textured avatar on a person who doesn’t express clues?

In short, you can tell a person from the words they use? For example, if you were to look through my past comments, would you know who I am?
Maybe, in some land distant, there is a government agency monitoring everything written on the web... And deducing who you are, how old you are, what gender you are, and what profession you have. That's a disturbing thought. This agency could then potentially control a good portion of the population... That sounds very SF, but seriously. How far are we from such a totalitarian rule, how long before we are all pawns in an agencies game? We wouldn't even know.

Birnam Wood

• Palmer
Reply #56 on: March 04, 2007, 07:54:25 AM
I just discovered this thread and thought it would be an interesting discussion to me since I was an Anthropology major.  After browsing through, still interesting but not what I expected, exactly- much more personal.  It reminds me more of some work I did after I graduated.  I got a job in the Campus Relations department of the university, and we put on a conference called "What is White?"  We brought in academics from all over the country to discuss race issues, not just from the "White" perspective.  But it is important to define "White". . .

Anyway, Clint's feelings are not uncommon at all.  The cultural landscape has changed a lot.  There's a lot of cultural knowledge he grew up with that is now widely considered wrong- a lot of that very subtle stuff, too.  He does not have all the cultural knowledge to comfortably navigate the increasingly multicultural world we live in, and it's not easy to obtain it.

The text only forum makes things even more dangerous, I think.  Things are deceptively homogeneous looking.  You're even more likely to misstep (I know I have, but not necessarily on ethnic or gender issues).  When I post, I'm acutely aware of this lack of knowledge. 

True confession time:

I "walk on eggshells" all the time. I'm so terrified that I'm going to offend someone (which is the last thing I want to do) either by what I say or do or don't say or don't do, that I find myself avoiding certain strangers just because I'd rather stay away from them then run the risk of accidentally doing something culturally stupid or offensive due to my own ignorance.  Yes, I know that sounds pathetic. It is pathetic, but I have gotten better about it in the last few years. However, it's mostly because my ever-hardening heart of stone cares less and less about what other people think of me, especially people I don't actually know. 
. . .
Now in a text-only online forum, I don't have as much of a problem because half the time I can't get very much information from a screen-name anyway.
. . .
Now back to the topic:
There's two things that always come up in these discussions that always bug me. One is that sometimes people want everyone to be the same.  . . .  Race and gender are part of what makes a person who they are. Why should we deny that?  . . .

Another thing is when people stand up and claim they are proud of their gender and/or ethnicity.  That's part of the KKK stereotype.  "I'm proud to be a white man!"  Why are you proud?  Do you have anything to do with it? No! I say be proud of what you have accomplished.  Be proud that you graduated from high school. Be proud that you graduated from college. Be proud that you got a promotion or a raise. Be proud that you've been happily married for ten years. Be proud when your children do something wonderful (you did have a part in raising and teaching them). Be proud that you entered a story in the escape pod contest and it made it to the semi-finals. Heck, be proud that you drove to work this morning and made it there on time, but don't be proud of something you had no hand in.  That's like being proud because you bought a winning lottery ticket.

Clint,

For an oppressed group to claim pride in being a member of that group, particularly if they are using the term (e.g., Black) that the dominant group historically used to identify them (as opposed to the way they would have identified themselves), they are effectively taking ownership of that the term or the image that used to be used against them.  Does this sometimes have negative repercussions, too?  I think that it can, especially if it goes too far and becomes violent hatred.  Is this a double standard? Perhaps, but that perspective fails to appreciate what's going on. 

Can you say you're proud to be a white man?  Certainly, that can be problematic.  White is a term historically used by the group in power to distinguished themselves.  Being White does not fit with my identity, although that's how people identify me.  White does not come close to reflecting my cultural ties and heritage.  But there are other people who want take ownership of the term, "White", in a positive way.  I don't have a problem with that, and I go along with being categorized as White out of convention.  However, White just doesn't have that much meaning for me in relation to how I identify myself culturally.

In your case, Clint, I wouldn't worry too much about the pride in identity thing.  You may find it helpful to try and understand where folks are coming from, accept it, and leave it at that.  You don't have to agree with it to tolerate and accept it.

Speaking as someone who has a happy cross-cultural marriage, grew up in a multi-ethnic community, and speaks 2 foreign languages, and earned a Bachelors in Sociocultural Anthropology, there are too many cultural rules to learn.  You'll never learn everything you'll need to know to avoid offending anyone.  However, if you can manage to make a personal connection with whomever you're interacting with, and if you can be humble about it, there's nothing wrong with asking others to be tolerant of your own ignorance and misunderstanding.  This doesn't guarantee they will forgive you.  But, in my experience, most people will cut you some slack.  When they don't, just exercise that attitude you've been cultivating: decide you don't care what they think of you.

As to your comment that race and gender are what we are, race and gender are actually social constructs.  They are often equated to biological realities, but they are not one and the same.  We are our genotype, we are whatever sex we are, but race and gender are not nearly written in stone.  The world's cultures differ greatly in how the races are defined- our notion of Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc., are far from universal.  Our notion that race is a static characteristic is not even universal.  And race is not a valid scientific category because there is more genetic variation of physical characteristics within the socially defined races as there are between them.

Sex (male vs. female) is irreversible (although cosmetic surgical changes can be made, and hormones can be taken)- sex is a biological constant.  However, Gender is a social construct, how we define the norms of Man and Woman.  While these two genders are mostly universal (I've heard of at least one culture that defined 4 genders), the way the genders are defined is not universal, either.  There are a lot of commonalities across many cultures, but it would be too much to call these universals, or so I've learned.

So, strictly speaking, choosing your identity is something the individual does.  Also, an individual can be proud of their heritage, judging it to be noble even when others question it.  They can be proud to publicly acknowledge their heritage, even when others deem it to be unworthy.  This is a good way to look at people who say they are proud to be of one race or another, one gender or another.  If they manage to do it without judging me negatively for being different (and I've known some who can't), well, I'm proud of them, too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:08:58 AM by Birnam Wood »

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #57 on: March 04, 2007, 06:09:03 PM
As the person who jump started the thread, I would like to clarify that Tad is quite right about the point I was trying to raise.  My comments were based on the these quotes from palimpsest.
My ideal would be people thinking before assuming the next person they meet online is what they expect them to be. :)
So it's impossible to keep an open mind about what someone else's attributes are?
I was wondering/saying that using a blank handle, like using just your initals (a la D.C. Fontanta, C.S. Friedman, etc), is part, contributes to continuing these sterotypes.
However, even though palimpsest's point may not have been directed staight at my point, it's unfair to tell Tad that he miscontrued your motivation - the context was there.  Yes, palimpsest, you definitely outlined your point clearly later on, but three pages of posting is alot to go through.

The thread took a bit of more general turn than I had intended, and I was fine with that.  However, I raised the point again:
I also want to point out that I haven't seen comments about the impact of androgenous handle. I have no problem with them, but does anyone else think are they, in part, a contributer to this mental image creation/assumption we are talking about?
And since it still got no traction, I let it fall away.  So, being the annoying pest, I'll explain my point another way:
Someone mentioned the lack of response from the general public about mixed-race couples on TV now - would this be happened as quickly if shows like Star Trek (in general, Kirk kissing Uhura, specifically) or the Jeffersons hid it away - had it off camera?

As for the "white man" not suffering, well, I will agree with palimpsest's points as to what I don't suffer from, but I will also raise the point that ours is a different burden.  We are excluded, blamed, harrassed when we don't follow the "path" society lays out for us.
But again, I agree that it's a matter of degrees, our path is quite a bit wider than others.  There was a scene from a really old Law and Order that raised this point and really stuck with me - to paraphrase "An influential white man can go through life having ancillary contact with blacks [or others] if he so wishes, not true for an influential black man [or white woman, etc.]."  And since I'm delving into pop culture examples, the movie, White Man's Burden, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114928/ also did a great job of making me aware of "what water/air I'm breathing.  The main plot is passable enough, but it's paying close attention to all the background stuff, every billboard has a black person, the main superhero pantheon is all black, etc., that clearly makes the movie's point.

I would also like to say that from what I've read of the other posters, it seems we are preaching to the converted for the most part - that Tad also made a good point in that the Sci-Fi crowd is much more open to the different than other people (is that sterotype or statistical liklihood ;))

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: March 04, 2007, 06:39:39 PM

Clint,

For an oppressed group to claim pride in being a member of that group, particularly if they are using the term (e.g., Black) that the dominant group historically used to identify them (as opposed to the way they would have identified themselves), they are effectively taking ownership of that the term or the image that used to be used against them.
I hadn't thought of that, but I can see where it could be a good thing.  Just make sure that's not the only thing you have to be proud of, or the thing that you are most proud of.

Does this sometimes have negative repercussions, too?  I think that it can, especially if it goes too far and becomes violent hatred.  Is this a double standard? Perhaps, but that perspective fails to appreciate what's going on. 

Can you say you're proud to be a white man?  Certainly, that can be problematic.  White is a term historically used by the group in power to distinguished themselves.  Being White does not fit with my identity, although that's how people identify me.  White does not come close to reflecting my cultural ties and heritage.  But there are other people who want take ownership of the term, "White", in a positive way.  I don't have a problem with that, and I go along with being categorized as White out of convention.  However, White just doesn't have that much meaning for me in relation to how I identify myself culturally.
What's funny to me is that, being "white", I feel like I don't have really any cultural heritage.  i.e. I'm nothing special. Maybe it's just because I breathe it all the time (as someone put it) that I don't realize it's there.

In your case, Clint, I wouldn't worry too much about the pride in identity thing.  You may find it helpful to try and understand where folks are coming from, accept it, and leave it at that.  You don't have to agree with it to tolerate and accept it.
I have no problem with people saying "I started life with all these disadvantages and look how far I've come."  In fact, I applaud them.  Their "degree of difficulty" in life is much higher than mine and to see them accomplish great things makes me admire them that much more.

Speaking as someone who has a happy cross-cultural marriage, grew up in a multi-ethnic community, and speaks 2 foreign languages, and earned a Bachelors in Sociocultural Anthropology, there are too many cultural rules to learn.  You'll never learn everything you'll need to know to avoid offending anyone.  However, if you can manage to make a personal connection with whomever you're interacting with, and if you can be humble about it, there's nothing wrong with asking others to be tolerant of your own ignorance and misunderstanding.  This doesn't guarantee they will forgive you.  But, in my experience, most people will cut you some slack.  When they don't, just exercise that attitude you've been cultivating: decide you don't care what they think of you.

I've always thought that in the unlikely even that I ever get stranded on a plant inhabited by aliens and I have a universal translator, the first words out of my mouth will be "Let me apologize in advance for all the stupid and offensive things I'm likely to do. I know nothing about you but I mean you no offense and no harm."

Sex (male vs. female) is irreversible (although cosmetic surgical changes can be made, and hormones can be taken)- sex is a biological constant.  However, Gender is a social construct, how we define the norms of Man and Woman.  While these two genders are mostly universal (I've heard of at least one culture that defined 4 genders), the way the genders are defined is not universal, either.  There are a lot of commonalities across many cultures, but it would be too much to call these universals, or so I've learned.

hmm.....I've never heard gender defined that way, but it does make sense.

So, strictly speaking, choosing your identity is something the individual does.  Also, an individual can be proud of their heritage, judging it to be noble even when others question it.  They can be proud to publicly acknowledge their heritage, even when others deem it to be unworthy.  This is a good way to look at people who say they are proud to be of one race or another, one gender or another.  If they manage to do it without judging me negatively for being different (and I've known some who can't), well, I'm proud of them, too.

I think there's nothing wrong with saying "I'm black and there is nothing wrong with that. Look at the great things black people have done." People who put other people down because of race or gender are just wrong and they need to be shown to be wrong.

Your childhood was obviously very different than mine.  I spent my first 11 years in a little town in western Massachusetts. The school I went to had exactly one person who was not white - and she was something of a celebrity, though I didn't know her.  My opinions of black men were formed entirely by actors I saw on TV - Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, the guy on the Mod Squad (Lincoln Hayes?), the guy on Hogan's Heroes (Ivan Dixon?) and the guy on Mission Impossible (Greg Morris?), with the occasional guest star on Star Trek.  So I thought all black men were all cool, brilliant and sometimes funny.

then I moved to Kentucky were racism was pretty rampant...and I just didn't get it.   To a lesser extent, I was also a target being a "yankee".  I didn't really feel comfortable living here until after high school.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #59 on: March 04, 2007, 07:04:29 PM
However, even though palimpsest's point may not have been directed staight at my point, it's unfair to tell Tad that he miscontrued your motivation - the context was there.  Yes, palimpsest, you definitely outlined your point clearly later on, but three pages of posting is alot to go through.

The context was there for a lot of things. If you thought it was mean-spirited, maybe you should think about why that is.

I also want to point out that I haven't seen comments about the impact of androgenous handle. I have no problem with them, but does anyone else think are they, in part, a contributer to this mental image creation/assumption we are talking about?

No.

Not unless your androgynous handle is equally problematic. And in fact, it is more transgressive for me to refuse to mark my gender, when my gender is non-default, than it is for you to mark yours.

Someone mentioned the lack of response from the general public about mixed-race couples on TV now - would this be happened as quickly if shows like Star Trek (in general, Kirk kissing Uhura, specifically) or the Jeffersons hid it away - had it off camera?

You're assuming that I am hiding my identity off camera.

Are you hiding your identity off camera by not putting a male identifier in your name?

you're holding me to a different standard than you hold yourself to, Slic. You're buying into the idea that woman is other, and indeed asking me to specifically other myself at every turn. I ask you to remember that people online can be male or female;  you reply that I should make my gender obvious so you don't have to think about it?

Not buying.

As for the "white man" not suffering, well, I will agree with palimpsest's points as to what I don't suffer from, but I will also raise the point that ours is a different burden.  We are excluded, blamed, harrassed when we don't follow the "path" society lays out for us.

I'm not excluded, blamed, or harrassed when I don't follow the path society lays out for me? If I am, and I believe I am, than I don't see how your burden is "different."

I would also like to say that from what I've read of the other posters, it seems we are preaching to the converted for the most part - that Tad also made a good point in that the Sci-Fi crowd is much more open to the different than other people (is that sterotype or statistical liklihood )

No, I think the SF community likes to pat itself on the back for being open-minded. The rate of publciations for women and minorities don't back it up. SF is not more signficantly open to the voices of women and minorities than literary communities. When Fantasy magazine makes a move to be more open to women's voices, it gets slammed for doing so. Black writers have also discussed at length their marginalization within "progressive" communities. Many writers, including Tom Disch, have made blatant comments about women's role -- or lack thereof -- in SF. He believes women like Ursula LeGuin and Vonda McIntyre "soften the field."

In fact, there are a lot of discussions about ways in which sexism is tolerated within science fiction communities where it isn't tolerated elsewhere. Sexual harrassment is a common problem at cons. I'm not going to reconstruct the wheel for you, but start with Kameron Hurley's Brutal Women and read through the Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy Blog.

Actually, I could have this conversation with my friends in my MFA program, and they would say "Oh, but this is preaching to the choir. Our community is liberal. It's communities like SF, bastions of masculinity, where the prejudice lies."

You're both wrong.

I also fail to see, where if you are "converted," you are accepting that I, as a woman, have as much right to be treated as a woman and a person simultaneously without adhering to special and separate rules, as you have to be treated as a man and a person simultaneously without adhering ot special and separate rules.

Updated for Clarity:

I do think we're talking to the choir in some ways, like I bet we'd all agree that women should have the right to vote, and that women aren't dumber than men, and that women should be allowed to work. That's definitely something. There are communities that don't believe in these things.

I bet we might even be able to push it further -- most of us probably support abortion, and think that raping an unconscious woman is wrong, and support women veterans, and think it's unfortunate there isn't more representation of women in local and national government.

Those positions make us allies on some extremely important issues. I appreciate you standing by me, and I hope to stand by you on others. I know there are a lot of veterans and men in service here, and I stand by your need for better medical services when you get home, faster diagnosis of problems, and payment for your sacrifices and handicaps. I stand by your need to be well-equipped in the field. From there, our politics may separate.

But just as veterans rights don't end with "support our troops," women's rights don't end with acceptance into Harvard Law school. There are a lot of other issues that face women, as an othered class, in this country. I appreciate you standing by me in a belief that women can be as talented and able as men, but I will still call you out on finer points, points where we disagree. You are an ally of mine in some ways, but we do not hold the same positions in others.

This is where I disagree that I am speaking to the converted; in many ways, I feel that I -- and, I would note, the other women who have joined the conversation, that I know of, Ana, Haut, and Cat -- are arguing about the way we feel percieved and treated, and that we are having those perceptions written off as "mean-spirited" as "manufactured offense" -- although the term was withdrawn -- as our fault or as untrue.

Women often find that men will tell them what is true about their experience and what isn't, just as minorities often find that whites will tell them the same -- including, for instance, what it's okay to comment on, or be annoyed by, or even offended at. When I run into this problem with a black friend, I try to step back and remember that I am not living their experience, but I am taught by the media that it's okay for me to mediate it, because white is "objective" and black is "other." A lot of my reactions often come from a guilty place, a place that says "don't be mad at me, it's not my fault!" and I listen to that place, rather than listening to how I have affected them. I step back and try to listen to what they're saying. Only on very, very few occasions have I found I disagree at root, once I sweep away my urge to judge their reality and my guilt beneath it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:24:02 PM by palimpsest »

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #60 on: March 04, 2007, 07:07:31 PM
Right on, Birnam.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #61 on: March 04, 2007, 07:33:15 PM
I would add that the comment of mine which appears to have launched this thread is this:

She. The feminist poet was a she. ;)

It's joking. It has a winky face at the end. It wasn't long or drawn out. It didn't contain accusations or recriminations or demands for penance.

Why does this comment provoke such strong reactions that it's a "mean-spirited gotcha?" Why is it perceived as an attack? What is the context that makes a sentence fragment and a following sentence, marked with a smiley face, a legitimately read "mean-spirited gotcha?"

In response Steve said mea culpa, someone else asked about it, and I said it was ironic in context. Again no hint of recrimination, of demands for penance, of any assumption on my part that Steve is offensive, just evidence that I pointed out a wrong assumption and commented that it was funny in context because we'd been talking about my gender earlier on the board, and in particular Steve's surprise that people read me as male. Where's the anger here, the mean-spiritedness?

At the risk of offending, I argue that it comes across that way to readers who feel guilty, because they know that they made a mistake, and because they know that they do make these assumptions. The response is defensiveness -- why are you _mad_ at me? -- when in fact, I wasn't mad. I've been mad since, granted, but at the time, I was correcting in a joking tone to point out the assumption. I was quite calm.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #62 on: March 04, 2007, 08:30:09 PM
I would add that the comment of mine which appears to have launched this thread is this:

It's joking. It has a winky face at the end. It wasn't long or drawn out. It didn't contain accusations or recriminations or demands for penance.

Why does this comment provoke such strong reactions that it's a "mean-spirited gotcha?" Why is it perceived as an attack? What is the context that makes a sentence fragment and a following sentence, marked with a smiley face, a legitimately read "mean-spirited gotcha?"

I don't even remember the thread that started this but since I'm the one who needs to learn to talk about this stuff, I'll toss out an answer anyway - because lots of us are "walking on eggshells". 
While I would not have interpreted what you said as a mean spirited gotcha, I could see where someone could have made that mistake, especially if they have seen a lot of people try to play the victim card.  I don't think you were doing that, but I could easily imagine someone thinking you were heading in that direction.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #63 on: March 04, 2007, 09:02:31 PM

The context was there for a lot of things. If you thought it was mean-spirited, maybe you should think about why that is.
I did not explain myself well here - I truly did not think you were mean-spirited, and I didn't think Tad was either - since you both replied before I had a chance to get online, I didn't get a chance to post on Tad's comment first.  ClintMemo said it better than I could.

Aren't you?  Maybe I missed it, maybe you didn't enter a story or maybe all of them made it to the finals, but I haven't seen you tell us what your name is.  I am really not trying to bait you into telling us - you could have a huge number of reasons for not wanting to - maybe you are Marget Atwood (you aren't, are you? 'cause it'd be cool if you were).  And it really can't be said that you are hiding because there are a number of people on these boards who know who you are, but that's not the same as telling everyone.

Are you hiding your identity off camera by not putting a male identifier in your name?

you're holding me to a different standard than you hold yourself to, Slic. You're buying into the idea that woman is other, and indeed asking me to specifically other myself at every turn. I ask you to remember that people online can be male or female;  you reply that I should make my gender obvious so you don't have to think about it?
Again, I'll point to the space under my symbol that has my name "Stephen Lumini" (and a quick google search will probably tell you more about me than I can). I suppose I could put Stephen Lumini, 38, father of three, white guy - that's a snarky comment, I know.

I'm not saying you or anyone has to tell me their gender, but I am saying if you want the default to change (and I get the strong feeling you do) then you have to show people that the default is incorrect.  I'm a bicycle rider in a city of many car drivers who feel that they own the road (Only kids ride bikes or poor people/students who can't afford a car) - I make it a point of puttng my bike helmet in a prominant place on my desk, I make it a point to loudly complain (to no one in particular) about the latest jackass driver, I make it a point of bringing it up in conversation if I think it fits.  I do all this because I want the default to change, hoping those who hear me will think twice when they see a bike rider.

I'm not excluded, blamed, or harrassed when I don't follow the path society lays out for me? If I am, and I believe I am, than I don't see how your burden is "different."
It isn't really - that's my point, everyone, including us middle-aged, all-powerful, white men have burdens.  When my lovely wife opened a daycare in our home, and I answered phone, invariably the question was asked "Will you be taking care of the kids?" - with the mom's ready to bolt if I said yes.  Luckily, it is not my aspiration to run a home daycare, but I can easily understand the frustration/anger/resentment when the most serious block to being in my chosen profession is not talent, but my gender or skin colour or family. 
I'm, again, lucky that unlike some of my fav authors (C.S. Friedman, D.C. Fontana), I didn't have to make the choice of changing jobs or hiding my gender.  But what about Ursula K LeGuin or Octavia Butler or Margaret Weis?  Or for that matter Tracey Hickman - for years I thought the dude was a lady.

I do think liberal-types are too quick to pat themselves on the back and say "We're awesome because we are so openminded."  So it doesn't hurt to remind me :-[

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 09:14:27 PM
I'd like to offer an apology to Palimpsest; I know hir intention was not to attack anyone, and I should have caveated my remarks a lot better.  (And I use hir pronouns of choice out of respect for hir preferences.)

The "gotcha" I referred to was not the feminist poet comment, but rather the exchange I had quoted with Slic.  I thought he was taking undue flack for what he was saying, and I wanted to comment on the irony of the situation.  I did not intend to levy any accusations, just to highlight a natural tendency people have to make assumptions.  And we all know what happens with assumptions.  (Something about a donkey, which usually ends up being me!)

FWIW, I think I must have picked up on some underlying cues from palimpsests posts early on, because I was not at all surprised when I "met" hir.  There have, however, been a couple of folks I assumed from context were female... and weren't.  I won't mention names, because I'm pretty sure any of them could take me out in a fair fight.  ;)

It seems there are a couple of similar but different themes being read into this thread, though.  On the one hand, some people are arguing around the idea that "everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect", which I think we all pretty much agree on.  The other (not opposing, but slightly different) topic seems to be "our societal conditioning still leads us to favor a certain group over others", a subject which tends to make those of us in that group feel a touch demonized, since we didn't choose to be in that group, and would like very much to live in a world that was truly fair and equitable.

I have appreciated Palimpsest's dedication, as well as hir thorough and generally gentle criticism of writing.  I agree that our society is nowhere near perfect yet, and would like it to get better.  But I can't change everybody's mind, and I probably overreact when, after making what feels like every effort to have an open mind and treat people with that dignity and respect, I'm told that it's not enough because of my race and gender.  I especially object to the argument "you will never understand how the rest of us are suffering because you are a white male."  That, to me, is just as wrong as saying ... well, any of the stuff Archie Bunker used to say.

Now, if you are saying that I will never understand because I'm an insensitive jerk... you may have me there.  :D

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #65 on: March 04, 2007, 09:15:30 PM
LOL
I didn't know Tracey Hickman was a man. 

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #66 on: March 04, 2007, 09:15:49 PM

First, I'm not at all sure that particular comment launched this thread.  It's not clear to me that any single comment launched it.  It just sort of happened, in the comments to the Semifinal 3 poll, and I moved it to its own thread once it became clear that the discussion had legs.  But even there there was context from other threads, etc.  I'd much rather just say "it happened" than pin it down to any one source.

I don't even remember the thread that started this but since I'm the one who needs to learn to talk about this stuff, I'll toss out an answer anyway - because lots of us are "walking on eggshells".

And here I think Clint nails it.  He's right.  I'm thinking directly back to my brusque (and in hindsight, very unfair) post at Jared when he brought up sexism in Heroes: my first answer was, more or less, "I'd like to disagree, but you've created a context where no one can argue with you without looking like an asshole."  He hadn't, as the followups proved, but a lot of people in the 'default' feel that way all the time whenever sex or race comes up.  We don't know how to talk about these issues because, in a very real way, we don't feel like we're allowed to talk about them.

(And once again, I'm switching back to first person, even though I don't always feel this way myself -- but I do some of the time, and I don't want to make an example out of anyone but me.)

The sense here, Palimpsest, is that women can make jokes about gender.  Or otherwise be frank about it, in any serious or light way.  However, for many males in the audience it's awkward, because we feel that if we respond in kind we'll never know when we're crossing the line.  It's hard for us to see the line, because we're not the ones who draw it, and we feel like the people who do draw the line (in this context, women) aren't usually explicit about its placement.  We simply know -- or believe -- that there is a line.  When other people make jokes that we don't feel we get to make, we feel left out.

And exclusion leads to unpleasant feelings and unpleasant behavior.  We keep silent, or sometimes get defensive inappropriately, or in some cases lash out as if we're being territorially challenged.  That's really stupid, I agree fully -- but it is a very male thing to do.  

(That's a case in point: I feel like I get to make fun of male behavior because I'm male.  I don't get to make fun of female behavior.  Women, however, get to make fun of both.  And that's bothersome to men.  This may or may not make any sense to you, you may or may not feel it has any validity, but I'll lay down money that it makes sense to most of the men reading this.  Any man who doesn't agree, please speak up.)

Similar neuroses apply to race.  Black people can analyze being black, in standup comedy or doctoral dissertations or anything in between.  Likewise for other minority cultures.  But I often feel that if I make a comment that even observes someone else's race, even if it's topical to the current conversation, I'm taking a risk.  I just don't know what might offend or what might not.  Sometimes I take the risk anyway and sometimes I don't.  But there's usually some awkwardness.  

(For me personally, the one minority condition for which I don't feel this way is sexuality -- I'm quite comfortable talking with gay people about being gay -- but that's due to personal history and I know that many straight people have the same awkwardness that applies to sex and race.)

So that's what's going on for 'the default' in these contexts.  It's our side of the communication barrier.  I wouldn't call it a "burden" as some others have done, but it's certainly a contributor to cultural rifts.  I value open and honest communication above nearly anything else -- but as a white male I sometimes feel my participation in discussions about race or sex is going to be judged and found wanting, under rules I don't get to make or even understand.  And that makes communication...not impossible, but more difficult.  It's a river that has to be crossed before I can begin to be frank.

I offer this, not to argue with anyone, but by way of explanation.  I'm not sure there's an answer for it that's any better or easier than "Get over it, take the risk, say what you think and take the lumps if it offends someone."  I'd love to hear other ideas.  Because that one, as easy as it is to say, is not easy to do most of the time.  I think I'm getting better at it, but it's still not easy.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #67 on: March 04, 2007, 09:25:13 PM
Aren't you?  Maybe I missed it, maybe you didn't enter a story or maybe all of them made it to the finals, but I haven't seen you tell us what your name is.

You missed it.  Her name is Rachel Swirsky; she's taken credit for the story "Memorial," which was in Group 21.

(Which I razzed her about, because the first post in that thread was her criticizing her own story when it was anonymous.)  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #68 on: March 04, 2007, 09:41:44 PM
I especially object to the argument "you will never understand how the rest of us are suffering because you are a white male." 

I don't think this, for the record. I just think it's not obvious, and one has to work to understand one's privelege.

I don't mind being called by female pronouns, by the way... I tend to use neutral pronouns when I don't know someone's gender. I do actually identify as female, rather than trans, or genderqueer, or having no gender identity, or etc. :)

(I don't think it's totally cool that we mark sex in pronouns as a culture, but it's not a broad-based fight I want to take up at the moment.)

I think I must have picked up on some underlying cues from palimpsests posts early on, because I was not at all surprised when I "met" hir.

:D

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #69 on: March 04, 2007, 09:43:44 PM

(That's a case in point: I feel like I get to make fun of male behavior because I'm male.  I don't get to make fun of female behavior.  Women, however, get to make fun of both.  And that's bothersome to men.  This may or may not make any sense to you, you may or may not feel it has any validity, but I'll lay down money that it makes sense to most of the men reading this.  Any man who doesn't agree, please speak up.)

It absolutely makes sense to me because I see it all the time.  It's perfectly acceptable for women to make "male bashing" comments but not for a man to make "female bashing" comments.  Now I will sometimes make "female bashing" comments as jokes but only to women I know really really really well where I know that they know I'm just being funny and not being mean. i.e. when I'm sure it's safe.   
Ironically, I don't have a problem making male bashing jokes to women, but that's just another form of self-deprecating humor, and as a neurotic, pathetic, conflict avoiding, oblivious, stone-hearted, middle-aged white guy, I'm into that.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #70 on: March 04, 2007, 09:46:55 PM

I don't mind being called by female pronouns, by the way... I tend to use neutral pronouns when I don't know someone's gender. I do actually identify as female, rather than trans, or genderqueer, or having no gender identity, or etc. :)

(I don't think it's totally cool that we mark sex in pronouns as a culture, but it's not a broad-based fight I want to take up at the moment.)

I'm not sure how much this has changed since then, but I was actually taught, from elementary school through college, to always use male pronouns unless you knew the person was female.  Do they still teach that?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #71 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:00 PM
"Get over it, take the risk, say what you think and take the lumps if it offends someone."

This is basically it, I think.

But there's another option. I know men who know exactly where the line is.

They took the time to educate themselves.

Bear in mind htat, as the default, you get to almost always see the culture represented from your positioning. I, as not the default, also get to see that. I'm eliminated from that narrative, but very much aware of it.

This is not as much true for you. Women as gazer, as opposed to subject of the gaze, are not often presented, and black people as gazer even less. That sucks. Patriarchy hurts men too. White supremacy hurts wihte people, too.

So, the solution is to talk about it -- and then get your feelings and ego out of hte way. Remember: given the vast swath of priveleges that come with being male, what we're tlaking about is very small potatoes. Ditto for white privelege. Therefore, it can come across as petty when men take a conversation about female opression - or othering - and turn it into a conversation about how it hurts mens feelings when this is brought up.

On feminist blogs, this phenomenon is known as "What about the men?"

But if you're the kind of person who can't take the risks and take your lumps, there is an alternative. Go read as much as you can. Pick up a huge pile of feminist theory texts and read them all. Go to several feminist blogs and read them, every day, for six months. And don't say anything. Lurk. See what's going on. Learn, rather than assuming it's your right to already know -- or my obligation to organize my activism for my liberation according to your comfort. (This is bracing terminology, and I'm aware of that, but it taps into deeper cultural assumptions about what it's allowable for men to ask of women -- and how it's allowable for men to make all conversations about maleness. It's not meant as a condemnation. It's just what happens in our culture. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't call it out.)

You'll learn what the line is, probably sooner than you think.

UPDATE:

I'd love to hear other ideas.  Because that one, as easy as it is to say, is not easy to do most of the time.  I think I'm getting better at it, but it's still not easy.

I don't think it's ever easy. It's not easy for me to put my prievelege aside when I'm reading things black feminists write that hurt my feelings. But why should I have it easy? Why am I entitled to ease?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:02:00 PM by palimpsest »

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #72 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:57 PM
but I was actually taught, from elementary school through college, to always use male pronouns unless you knew the person was female.  Do they still teach that?

Some people do. It's still sexist -- overtly so -- it overtly positions men, the priveleged class, as the default. If you want mor einformation, ther'es a very good essay by Ursula LeGuin on the subject, which you can find if you seek out her book of essays.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #73 on: March 04, 2007, 09:59:02 PM
It absolutely makes sense to me because I see it all the time.  It's perfectly acceptable for women to make "male bashing" comments but not for a man to make "female bashing" comments.  Now I will sometimes make "female bashing" comments as jokes but only to women I know really really really well where I know that they know I'm just being funny and not being mean. i.e. when I'm sure it's safe.   

Hi Clint and Steve, since you brought it up,

What you're leaving out of your analyses, again -- I pointed this out in an earlier comment too -- is power.

Men, as a class, are not oppressed for their sex.

Women, as a class, are.

Therefore, female bashing jokes have much more power to contribute to the injury of women in our society. Directly. When you tell a joke about a greedy ex-wife, you are contirbuting to the culture which sees traditional women's work as less important than men's, and thus women who have worked at home as having no call on the money they helped their husband earn by facilitating his career. When you tell a joke about a dumb blonde, you reinforce the idea that women can be smart or attractive, but not both. And so on.

These things hurt women, in ways that jokes like Homer Simpson have never and will never hurt men. Indeed, Homer Simpson type jokes support the power structures as they exist. Homer is a total loser, a complete slob, yet entitled to the devotion of his lovely, smarter, prettier wife. He, like Tim Allen on Home Improvement, are playfully unable to do any sort of household work. The result is tha tthe women roll their eyes, and then do all the drudge work, reinforcing the pattern of housework as women's responsibility -- women do more housework, in general (anecdotes to the contrary aside), even women who work. So even jokes that appear to hurt men, in general, are hidden ways of consolidating power.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #74 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:33 PM
I'm a bicycle rider in a city of many car drivers who feel that they own the road (Only kids ride bikes or poor people/students who can't afford a car) - I make it a point of puttng my bike helmet in a prominant place on my desk, I make it a point to loudly complain (to no one in particular) about the latest jackass driver, I make it a point of bringing it up in conversation if I think it fits.  I do all this because I want the default to change, hoping those who hear me will think twice when they see a bike rider.

I realize you missed me "coming out" as Rachel Swirsky on the other thread, so I know that's the major thing underlying some of your comments, but I do want to address this. :)

I am doing this. I am working feminism into this conversation. I am addressing sexist stereotypes when they come up in the stories.

Here's an example of how this stuff becomes invisible: several of my female friends emailed me when they started reading the entries, "Oh my God, the entries.... is everyone stuck in 1950's gender roles?"

This stuff isn't invisble to us.

But pointing it out means a fight. Every time. And every time from scratch. That's incredibly wearying.

I have communicated with Haut, Ana, and Cat with this in IM. I know Cat and Haut from outside the board. I met Ana here. We have to bolster each other to have this conversation. Because I know it's frustrating for y'all, but I don't think you understand how frustrating it is for us.

We've had htis conversation before. We've heard your counterarguments. And ,more, every time we have this conversation anew, we realize how big the barriers to women are, how systemic. If even kind, liberal males who are in SF don't understand sexism as systemic, how can we ever make progress?

Haut and I are orgaizing a slush bomb to Analog next year, as part-protest and part-community effort to get women writing hard SF, and let Analog know we've noticed our absence from its TOC. Haut and I participated in last year's slush bomb to FSF. Other women writers of my acquaintance didn't.

But we all read the arguments. We all saw men saying "there is no problem that women appear infrequently. Maybe men are just better writers. Maybe men are just more ambitious."

I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty, but to explain why I'm discussing this, and how much I *am* trying to change the default, every day, through talking abotu feminism, and through writing stories that force readers to interrogate their assumptions. At this point, it's my life's work.

I'm also saiyng it because I want you to understand why I may not reply immediately. Sometimes I have to get my breath.

I'm, again, lucky that unlike some of my fav authors (C.S. Friedman, D.C. Fontana), I didn't have to make the choice of changing jobs or hiding my gender.  But what about Ursula K LeGuin or Octavia Butler or Margaret Weis?  Or for that matter Tracey Hickman - for years I thought the dude was a lady.

They're great! They're also in the minority. They have barriers to their success that white men don't have. Those barriers shouldn't exist.

The existence of Oprah Winfrey doesn't disprove the fact that many black women live in poverty.

I do think liberal-types are too quick to pat themselves on the back and say "We're awesome because we are so openminded."  So it doesn't hurt to remind me

It's an easy trap. I totally do it too.