Author Topic: User Names  (Read 52056 times)

Paul Turnbull

• Extern
    • one of me
on: March 03, 2007, 07:09:34 PM
Strange but true. Despite the fact that every user name I've seen here seems to assume that spaces are not allowed...they are. Or at least I apparently was allowed a space.

Perhaps a note in the sign up screen indicating that spaces are persmissible in the user names would be in order. That way people can have expanded options in the names they choose.

<tanget/>User names are interesting thing. I've been using various ones online for going on 20 years now and more and more now, if I can, I use my real name. I'm not sure of the novelty has worn off but giving myself a strange username rarely appeals to me anymore. Of course using me real name makes it harder to for search to surface old material that is guaranteed to be me. I have one username that use 100 per cent of the times I don't user my real name that, so far, is only used by me. I like that.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:17:21 PM
People take you more seriously when they know who you are.  It's one of the reasons Livejournal bugs the snot out of me.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:14:19 PM
I have a user name that I use everywhere that I can.  The only reason I use it is that it is an anagram of my real name and it sounds like a writer's pen name, at least to me.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Startrekwiki

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:56:49 AM
I have a user name that I use everywhere that I can.  The only reason I use it is that it is an anagram of my real name and it sounds like a writer's pen name, at least to me.

I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason... But otherwise, I use my site's name: Star Trek Wiki. My names are always one or the other.
I think that some names are pretty cool though - the fictional ones - such as Reaper_Z, or stvgskll. Okay, stvgskll might be hard to remember... That's also a problem: remembering your name. If you're going to be joining something like a forum, USUALLY, YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER your username to get in.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:42:16 AM
I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason...

FYI, it was in the default list of disallowed user names when I installed the software, along with "Guest" and "Admin" and a few others. 

I'm assuming the reason why is because it could easily be used for social engineering hacks: Joe Newbie gets a PM from 'Webmaster' saying "Hi, we're doing some maintenance right now, and I think I erased your settings.  Send me your password and I'll fix everything."  Or other cons along those lines.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:47:53 PM
i use Bdoomed for everything really, it started with my Gmail account, when i couldnt get something along the lines of my real name, so i thought up Bdoomed (B being my first initial) and it just kinda stuck. (B as in my first initial and B as in Be doomed, and doom because i like Invader Zim a lot, etc.) besides, NO one else has Bdoomed as their screen name.

also i think screen names show expression.  If the sn is yer real name than you appear more serious/professional.  a different name will reflect other aspects of yer personallity.  For instance, StartrekWiki... well im GUESSING he's intO star trek!  Luvergrl012143... probably a teen girl whO Thinks shes hot and cool... (but we know shes probably not)

et cetera.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:54:36 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:00:57 AM
Even though it doesn't really look like it, my nickname is derived from my real name.

And I've been using it for quite some time (even own a domain name of it, though the site itself hasn't seen much updates for a long time, madjo.nl :)).

I've been using it since 1998 or something like that.

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:47:10 PM
Mine is the assumed alias of a movie character. Used it with my first account and have used it ever since.

Startrekwiki

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:51 PM
I use my nickname: Webmaster_2.0, except the word "Webmaster" is not allowed for some reason...

FYI, it was in the default list of disallowed user names when I installed the software, along with "Guest" and "Admin" and a few others. 

I'm assuming the reason why is because it could easily be used for social engineering hacks: Joe Newbie gets a PM from 'Webmaster' saying "Hi, we're doing some maintenance right now, and I think I erased your settings.  Send me your password and I'll fix everything."  Or other cons along those lines.

Oh. Well, I didn't mind anyway. Startrekwiki advertises my site, and it's something that I'll remember well.

zed

• Extern
    • Random Thoughts From a Mad Man
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 12:18:59 PM
I've been Zed since the '80s when you could only put three letters in a video game when you got the high score. ;)

Cogito Ergo Zoom (I Think Therefore I Go Fast)

BSWeichsel

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:33 AM
Mines my frist intal middle intal and then my name.

Go figure it BS Weichsel.

Since it began, who have you killed? You wouldn't be alive now if you hadn't killed somebody.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:20 PM
I think you will, with the exception of professional forums or semi-professional (like here if you are an author), see less people using their actual name as a screen name.  In part because so many schools both college and K-12 (or whatever the rest of the world calls that) are pushing kids/college age not to use their own names, so that it doesn't come back to haunt them later when trying to find a job or whatever.  So many like to post images or let friends post images of partying etc.  Not the image to put forth when job hunting.  Though lately I have seen posts about (I think so far private) schools forcing kids to remove their myspace pages or face expulsion.  Supposedly all in the name of protecting the children.  Yes their are predators out there, but quite honestly the ostrich syndrome doesn't work well.  It does nothing to prepare children for when they actually might meet a predator. 

Startrekwiki

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:58 PM
I think you will, with the exception of professional forums or semi-professional (like here if you are an author), see less people using their actual name as a screen name.  In part because so many schools both college and K-12 (or whatever the rest of the world calls that) are pushing kids/college age not to use their own names, so that it doesn't come back to haunt them later when trying to find a job or whatever.  So many like to post images or let friends post images of partying etc.  Not the image to put forth when job hunting.  Though lately I have seen posts about (I think so far private) schools forcing kids to remove their myspace pages or face expulsion.  Supposedly all in the name of protecting the children.  Yes their are predators out there, but quite honestly the ostrich syndrome doesn't work well.  It does nothing to prepare children for when they actually might meet a predator. 

Having gone through the ostrich syndrome myself, I have to agree. The internet is not teeming with predators, but you may want to not use your real name anywhere for your reputation. I mean, like Lowky said: if you're out to get a job, you can miss that opportunity by having put your name on a badly reputed site.
Nowadays, it's no different than working as the head of a government during a scandal involving high areas of that government: you can never hope to be re-elected to that position again.

Even if you use your real name on the internet anywhere, someone who wants to ruin you can simply add that name to a less reputable site. Then your employer searches your name on the net, and boom! This comes up.

There's a pretty remote chance of any of that happening.

But, all in all, the net isn't all that bad. It isn't teeming with predators, and usually is pretty safe. What I'm saying is, it's not a good idea to use your real name there. In essence, agreeing to what Lowky said.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:09:45 PM
I've gone by clichekiller for so long now, that's how most people know me.  I respond to CK just as much as my real name now a days.  In the beginning it was the anonymity I enjoyed now it's the recognition.  If you run across another clichekiller out there in the 'intarweb' chances are it's me. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:33:46 PM
   I've been using Alasdair5000 for a while now, simply because whilst I was one of two Alasdairs growing up on the Isle of Man, there are quite a few Alasdair Stuart's out in the world.  Plus, I always picture some crazed scientist yelling 'ACTIVATE THE ALASDAIR 5000!' every time I type it and that makes me smile.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:56:46 PM
This is funny stuff!

"Mr. Tweedy" is the name of bumbling imbecile in the movie "Chicken Run."  I picked it because my (beloved) wife was giving me grief about playing too much "Halo" in the college's game room.  Mr. Tweedy spends the whole movie being kicked and bossed around by his wife, so I named my Halo profile after him as a covert protest, and I've just kept it since then.

It's also noteworthy that Mr. Tweedy is outsmarted by chickens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:14:07 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 03:12:33 AM
Mine is less funny, sorry - slic is what I have gone by online for many years now.  I'm big into double meanings, so besides the idea "He's slick"  it's also an ever changing acronym sometimes Stephen Lumini (my real name) Interesting Character or SL Insulting Crackhead or Slim Likeable Intriguing Crackpot, etc.

For a very very short time I had a company call SLIC Presentations.  I gave lectures and presentations.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 11:16:26 PM
it's also an ever changing acronym sometimes Stephen Lumini (my real name)

I think Lumini is a really cool surname.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:49:24 PM
I think Anarkey is cool.  I like that it has "key" in it, combined with "anarchy," which to me suggests something like "key to chaos" or something moody like that.  Don't know if that's intentional or not.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 05:59:52 PM
Mine was a D&D character that I ended up using as an handle in varios that has pretty much become a second real life (though throughly non-legal) name due to 2600. The first  name is Arca, which I respond to in normal conversation with the half-dozen or so people that know me by that name better than my real one. I've been using since I was... 14 or 15, so I rarely notice it unless I'm with someone that's only known me by my real/legal name.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

sgt.rocks

• Extern
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:45 AM
Dumbs as a box of rocks....

When I began teaching about 10 years ago, I would occasionally make mistakes in lectures.  I covered my embarrassment by saying, "I play with rocks."

Some students left rocks on my desk, and so I got the nickname rocks.  As I am enlisted in the service, the nickname is sometimes Sgt Rocks.

Curiously, I met a guy whose last name really is Rocks and he is a sergeant in the service.

I'm using sgt.rocks here because it is my email address and Rocks was all ready in use at hotmail.  In fact, Rocks seems to be in use most places.

sgt.rocks

sgt.rocks

"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." Elbert Hubbard

darusha

• M. Darusha Wehm
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:22 PM
I used to be known as spadequeen online.  I'm female, wear a lot of black and was a compulsive Hearts player.  At some point a few years back I started just using my actual name as a screen name.  It's a good name, and more unusual than any other name I could use. 

Mostly I decided that if I was going to post anything online that I was afraid to sign with my real name, I just shouldn't post it.  This isn't a judgment on anyone else who wants to be anonymous, just a choice I made for myself.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 10:33:10 PM
This is only the third forum I've used "Planish" in, the first one being the librivox.org forum, I think.

planish
tr.v. plan·ished, plan·ish·ing, plan·ish·es
To smooth (metal) by rolling or hammering.
I've been doing a bit of it (the hammering version) lately, viz.
http://northernelectric.ca/medieval/armoury/buckler_stainless/ss_buckler.htm - which shows every step except the planishing, as it turns out, of making a stainless steel buckler.
also
http://northernelectric.ca/medieval/armoury/siobgorg/siobgorg.htm - an articulated gorget in mild steel

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 11:04:37 AM
Now this is a cool topic. :)

I've gone by clichekiller for so long now, that's how most people know me.

As long as you do realise that you can't use that nick for in Final Stage Demon Confrontation. :)

Mostly I decided that if I was going to post anything online that I was afraid to sign with my real name, I just shouldn't post it.  This isn't a judgment on anyone else who wants to be anonymous, just a choice I made for myself.

This is my opinion exactly. I went through a few nick names when I first started interacting on the web. Your nick is important; it is part of your avatar, your online persona, the image you wish to present. I found that a nick was chosen for some reason that was important to me at the time, but eventually would lose its meaning or not be relevant on some other site. I began to feel that it was more important to present my own face with my own name. I want the reputation formed by my words to be clearly linked to me, in all the arenas I choose to act in - blogs, newsgroups, web sites, technical and entertainment.

There are two caveats to my idea of my internet persona representing the 'real' me. The first caveat is that I don't want my personal information to be freely accessible - photos or email address to a lesser extent, phone numbers and physical address to a greater extent. I want control over that. The second caveat involves any adult site I might choose to interact with. I consider that involvement to be limited to my personal life, and not something I am willing to lay open.

My nick? The name of the first person I ever assassinated. I karate chopped the poor guy to death with a rubber chicken (the client had an obscure sense of humour). I stole his identity and have been living in his house ever since, with his partner. Since I had nothing better to do, I took over his job as well.

eytanz

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 04:18:11 PM
I'm also using my real name. My full name is Eytan Zweig.

By the way, if Steve (or anyone else who wants to say my name out loud) happens to be reading this, my name is pronounced more like "eight-un", rather than "eye-tan". Though whenever Steve quotes my story feedback I'm way too happy about that to care about my name being mispronounced :).

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 05:24:58 PM
My current nick and the variations thereof I use depending on the constraints of the service I'm registering for with it come from Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books (specifically Lirael and Abhorsen). There's a character called the Disreputable Dog that I really liked, and I've used it for about two years now. It varies whether it's the full TheDisreputableDog, TDD, DDog, Kee, etc.

Before that, I used "Migel" since I first started seriously playing around on the internet up until the switch to Dog. He's a character in the anime Escaflowne that I was identified with by an online quiz (I was about 13 at the time).

I don't like using my real name because I'd like to make people do a little bit of work if they're going to take it for innocent or nefarious means. However, I do use my real name in situations and services where I am trying to make professional contacts, etc. I think there are some good principles for internet safety, but after a point there will be someone with the skills or bullheadedness sufficient to wrest whatever information you're hiding from you no matter what precautions you take. You can't even prevent that by not being on the internet at all, so I'd rather take advantage of the medium than not.

Re: people taking you more seriously if they know who you are... There is a point in that, referencing the power of 4chan to make lives hell anonymously. However, I don't think that having a specific nick for online use qualifies as being truly anonymous--it's really psuedonymous, isn't it? For me at least, it creates the same effect as if you were using your real name. I could care less whether it really says Russell Nash on your driver's license; it gives me an identity for me to catalog you in my head just the same.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 05:29:31 PM by DDog »

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 06:16:05 PM
I could care less whether it really says Russell Nash on your driver's license;

How did I end up in this example? 

I already know one person from the forums in real life.  She keeps looking at me and saying Russell.  I think my pseudonym is going to absorb my real life.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 07:04:32 PM
Well, aside from mild disappointment that Mr. Tweedy isn't a member of Wilco, I'm pleased so many of you have volunteered info for the profiles I'm keeping.  It will make taking over the world much easier when my partner and I get out of our cages this evening.  (My partner asks me to say, "Poit", but I won't do it.)

I've never felt the paranoia necessary to hide my identity online.  Other folks (like my mother-in-law) won't even look things up online for fear that "They" will get her information.  I figure if "They" want my identity so badly, "They're" the ones who will have to deal with the wrath of my lovely bride/business manager.

But there's not much of a code to this screen name.  My name is "Tad"... using phonetics... I suppose I could have gone with "Taxi Aardvark Dildo", too.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 07:36:06 PM
I'm also using my real name. My full name is Eytan Zweig.

By the way, if Steve (or anyone else who wants to say my name out loud) happens to be reading this, my name is pronounced more like "eight-un", rather than "eye-tan". Though whenever Steve quotes my story feedback I'm way too happy about that to care about my name being mispronounced :).

I know two Eytans, neither of whom spell it as you do, including DJ8on (whose real name is Eithan). 

They spell it Eithan and Eitan, and pronounce "EIGHT-on".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 06:43:56 AM
She keeps looking at me and saying Russell.  I think my pseudonym is going to absorb my real life.

<channel damon_knight>"Russel Nash" means who we point to when we say it.<channel>
 ;)

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 01:12:55 PM
She keeps looking at me and saying Russell.  I think my pseudonym is going to absorb my real life.
<channel damon_knight>"Russel Nash" means who we point to when we say it.<channel>
 ;)

Maybe I'll just cut my own head off and let the Kurgan win.

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 09:44:28 AM
I get my username from my first AOL account.  Since my real name wasn't available, I kept playing around and ended up altering the end of my given name (Aaron) to Aarrow.  For good measure, I tacked on my middle and surname initials too.

Note: I think I posted already to this thread, but it was lost a few months back.

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

Nt 2 B TKN INTRNLY

• Palmer
  • Program Error: User "Daniel" Terminated
    • Brain Radiation
Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 11:32:52 PM
I got mine from a relative's pillbox. I kinda liked it, and have been using it for the last few years. I deleted my startrekwiki account from the forum, because I have to say, I like the ring of this one better.

I wonder what it would be like to feel my brain...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:58 AM
I got mine from a relative's pillbox. I kinda liked it, and have been using it for the last few years. I deleted my startrekwiki account from the forum, because I have to say, I like the ring of this one better.

I saw that name and thought, "Sounds like a General Systems Vehicle!"

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 08:12:06 PM
My given name is Stephen.  Not pronounced like Mr. Eley's given name.  Hence the screen name, a shortening of my given name.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:56 AM
My given name is Stephen.  Not pronounced like Mr. Eley's given name.  Hence the screen name, a shortening of my given name.

And I thought it was a reference to your acidity...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 12:41:05 AM
(11) --- DORISMANTAS (Thaurismunths), the son of Ginmantas, after his father's death, became the ruler of the Goths. He conquered the Gepid tribe. Dorismantas was soon killed by a frightened horse.

No coins are found with Dorismantas' name on them.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 06:52:35 PM

And I thought [stePH] was a reference to your acidity...

:) That's actually the second time I've gotten that (similar reference, anyway).  First was years ago on Usenet.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 05:30:53 PM
Jumping in very late to this thread because I haven't been around for a while.

Mine comes from my favourite kids book, the full title was just way too long to type. I've been using it for about ten years, it was my first psuedonym.

And Russell is always going to be called Russell. Somehow it fits better than his real name, well, to me at least. And his wife is definately a Blossom.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 05:35:07 PM
Jumping in very late to this thread because I haven't been around for a while.

Mine comes from my favourite kids book, the full title was just way too long to type. I've been using it for about ten years, it was my first psuedonym.

And Russell is always going to be called Russell. Somehow it fits better than his real name, well, to me at least. And his wife is definately a Blossom.

So it's wherethewild / Things Are?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 05:52:02 PM
Ahh, yes. Sorry I should have finished it ;)  Of course that was the time when no spaces or full stops were allowed, hence the one looooong word.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Russell Nash

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 06:25:59 PM

My wife almost got a user name just so she could say how sweet your comment is.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 12:45:25 AM
This might be the one community where I don't need to explain where my username came from.

I use it pretty much everywhere online, though I'm apparently not the only wintermute out there (though I might be the only one who insists on lower case: There is only one Wintermute, and I am not It), so I sometimes need to add the numbers 23 or 115 to then end.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 11:06:15 PM
Mine's an old, old nickname, from an old friend of mine.  I do answer to it in real life.  I'm not sure why it stuck so well, or exactly what it's about...  it has something to do with cookie monster I think. 
I'm also on the Mysterious Universe forums as wildeyedchild, which is nothing more than a favorite phrase from an old Smashing Pumpkins song.  Sometimes they're just whims.
I'm glad there's a thread like this... sometimes you look at the name and can't help but wonder where it came from.

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 11:50:19 PM
Mine's an old, old nickname, from an old friend of mine.  I do answer to it in real life.  I'm not sure why it stuck so well, or exactly what it's about...  it has something to do with cookie monster I think. 
I'm also on the Mysterious Universe forums as wildeyedchild, which is nothing more than a favorite phrase from an old Smashing Pumpkins song.  Sometimes they're just whims.
I'm glad there's a thread like this... sometimes you look at the name and can't help but wonder where it came from.

Huh. I thought it was an Avenue Q reference. Teaches me for assuming.

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

I'm not familiar with Avenue Q...

Moderator: fixed quoting
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:38:51 PM by Russell Nash »

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: Heradel

Well, here's the wikipedia page, but having seen it — It's a Broadway musical that won a couple Tony's a few years back, set in a kind of Sesame Street kind of Brooklyn, but for adults. There are puppets and humans, and two of the characters use monster as a race, and it's used as their last name (Trekkie Monster and Kate Monster, not related). If you've ever heard "The Internet is for Porn" song, it's from there. Basically it's about Princeton(just got a BA in English, trying to live in the City/make a living) falling in love with Kate Monster, who is an assistant teacher of a Kindergarden class.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 11:13:16 AM
Quote from: Heradel

Well, here's the wikipedia page, but having seen it — It's a Broadway musical that won a couple Tony's a few years back, set in a kind of Sesame Street kind of Brooklyn, but for adults. There are puppets and humans, and two of the characters use monster as a race, and it's used as their last name (Trekkie Monster and Kate Monster, not related). If you've ever heard "The Internet is for Porn" song, it's from there. Basically it's about Princeton(just got a BA in English, trying to live in the City/make a living) falling in love with Kate Monster, who is an assistant teacher of a Kindergarden class.

Yes!  South Park meets The Muppets!  And Gary Coleman is their building superintendent!  Great stuff... I thought the same thing about your user name, JM.  Does this mean you're not furry?  :(

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
Figured I'd resurrect this since it's kinda been brought up here. And frankly, I get more than a few questions about it. Which is cool.

I honestly can't remember what I used as my screen name prior to October 21, 1999. That was day I became birdless... at least on my right hand. At any rate, it's highly unlikely that this nick will "lose it's meaning or become irrelevant over time." Unless someone perfects human regeneration in my lifetime. So anyway, I use a nick because I think it gives a glimpse into my personality. Most people that don't connect to me through computer screens call me John Mc. (I think I used to use that as my SN... OH! I remember: I used to use "apostle" and "gemini" a lot). I started using "birdless" when I started playing SOCOM, I think. Anyway, the avatar is supposed to explain the screen name and vice versa, as that's my hand. I don't really have a blue cast to my skin, though. No relation to smurfs. It was just a really crappy phone pic, so I took some artistic liberties with it.

So, uh, Russel, on that regeneration thing, your avatar wouldn't happen to indicate that you might know a little more on that front, would it, perchance?

Russell Nash

Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 05:06:38 PM
So, uh, Russel, on that regeneration thing, your avatar wouldn't happen to indicate that you might know a little more on that front, would it, perchance?

Shape-shifting, yes.  Regeneration, no.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39:53 PM
Sorry, N-sh's been kept busy running the universe so I've been heading up R&D and not being omnipotent myself makes it hard for me to keep him updated.
It's still a few years out, but we have some very promising results.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:41 PM
Sorry, N-sh's been kept busy running the universe so I've been heading up R&D and not being omnipotent myself makes it hard for me to keep him updated.

Not really.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 03:31:57 AM

Not really.

Nice catch.  Another pile of crap exposed.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 04:16:30 AM
Pixie dust? The bird is gone, already flown away. I need anti-pixie dust. :P

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:20 AM
I figure, being new here, I'll throw in my own two cents.  I used to use the nickname "Smegalicious," until I realized people kept either being disgusted or making jokes about Red Dwarf, which (I am a little shamed to admit) I am not actually familiar with.  So I changed to my current user name, which I stole from a short pun I read somewhere.

Word of the day: ignoranus, noun, someone who is both stupid AND an asshole.

I just find it amusing.

Formerly Ignoranus - now too big for my britches, literally and figuratively.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:03 AM
I figure, being new here, I'll throw in my own two cents.  I used to use the nickname "Smegalicious," until I realized people kept either being disgusted or making jokes about Red Dwarf, which (I am a little shamed to admit) I am not actually familiar with.  So I changed to my current user name, which I stole from a short pun I read somewhere.

Word of the day: ignoranus, noun, someone who is both stupid AND an asshole.

I just find it amusing.

Ha, ha!  That's smegtastic!   I have to tell you, I sympathize on the reluctance to check out Red Dwarf.  I had a lot of people try to push it on me, and it just looked really stupid... but then I watched it and laughed for weeks.

It definitely benefits from low expectations, but if you can stand the main character's whiny Scouser voice (and really, that's part of his charm) it's definitely worth renting a disc or two.  But go in expecting to hate it.  ;)

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 12:09:23 PM
I've had this name for ages. Or rather, my real name Sacha that has been with me for quite some time now. When joining a MUD in the late 90s, I soon discovered that the username 'sacha' was already in use. That's when I came up with the brilliant notation zacha. Just recently, I started using zZz because I love the sound of 'z' [when it's done right].
It funny that Sacha isn't a common name in the US and mostly, it's a boy's name [which I'm not. I'm not a boy's name] but I've run across some Americans who's last name is Zacha.

-zZz-

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 02:41:00 AM
I've had this name for ages. Or rather, my real name Sacha that has been with me for quite some time now. When joining a MUD in the late 90s, I soon discovered that the username 'sacha' was already in use. That's when I came up with the brilliant notation zacha. Just recently, I started using zZz because I love the sound of 'z' [when it's done right].
It funny that Sacha isn't a common name in the US and mostly, it's a boy's name [which I'm not. I'm not a boy's name] but I've run across some Americans who's last name is Zacha.

-zZz-

In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women... and for some reason, most American parents don't want to name their sons after unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women.  Must be a Cold War holdover...

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:41 AM

-zZz-

In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women... and for some reason, most American parents don't want to name their sons after unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women.  Must be a Cold War holdover...

I had never thought about it deeply, but I (also American) can kind of see what you mean.  I don't know if I quite agree, it's just that... It's just not a common name.  Then again, I grew up in Vermont, which is still pretty conservatively 'traditionally American' in a lot of ways, despite the strange political inclinations of some of the population.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:13 AM
In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women...

Maybe my parents had something in mind when they named me Sacha... Though I'm not sure you can really force a way of life for your child by giving him/her a certain name. At least, not in this world!
I didn't grow up to be Slavic antway :[

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 11:20:20 AM
Well, I'm sure you've both noticed that we're all about the "branding" here.  We chose unusual names for our kids, and I get about 50/50 "wow, cool names" and "what are you, crazy?" reactions. 

I have to admit, we have a "Séamus", and he constantly suffers the American inability to handle pronunciation.  He's become very adept at gently and respectfully correcting adults - "Not 'see-mus', but 'shay-mus'" - and kids alike.  But most of the time he likes having a unique handle.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 11:40:34 AM

I seem to have missed out on this, do I have to turn in my American card now?

However, I have only met one real-life Sascha.  He was male, German, and a jackass.  None of which seem to apply to our zZzacha.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 11:44:52 AM
Well, I'm sure you've both noticed that we're all about the "branding" here.  We chose unusual names for our kids, and I get about 50/50 "wow, cool names" and "what are you, crazy?" reactions. 

I have to admit, we have a "Séamus", and he constantly suffers the American inability to handle pronunciation.  He's become very adept at gently and respectfully correcting adults - "Not 'see-mus', but 'shay-mus'" - and kids alike.  But most of the time he likes having a unique handle.
gotta ask did anyone else think of andromeda reading this post?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

I seem to have missed out on this, do I have to turn in my American card now?

However, I have only met one real-life Sascha.  He was male, German, and a jackass.  None of which seem to apply to our zZzacha.

Wait... you all seem to be implying that Americans are not one huge, monolithic bloc of people with identical experiences and attitudes.  Could this be true?  Are we all... different ... from each other?  My God... the implications are HUGE!

I'm going to go over here in my corner and be different, now.  ;)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 12:13:23 PM

Hehe. Reminds me about the old joke about giving your daughter a name spelled "Shevaughn", but insisting people pronounce it "Siob-han".

See, the joke is that Gaelic is pronounced differently from English. Ahahahaha! I crack me up.

On a more serious note, our daughter's name is Isabella, which turned out to be more common than we expected. But when we tell people that our front-runner for a boy's name is Bram, they tend to look at us funny...

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:23 PM

*smooch* That's so sweet! I love the 'our zZzacha'  :]

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 12:28:36 PM
I read somewhere that we don't even have to be in a corner to be different these days! Man, these are exciting times. So much is happening to this society, I love it.

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #67 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28:00 PM
I read somewhere that we don't even have to be in a corner to be different these days! Man, these are exciting times. So much is happening to this society, I love it.

Hey, here in America we ALWAYS go into corners to be different.  Stop trying to change things for us!  Your alterations to our way of life are unwelcome!

Russell Nash

Reply #68 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:02 AM

Hey, here in America we ALWAYS go into corners to be different.  Stop trying to change things for us!  Your alterations to our way of life are unwelcome!

Things are better now.  It used to be that everybody who wanted to be different had to go into the closet.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #69 on: May 24, 2008, 05:54:25 PM

Hehe. Reminds me about the old joke about giving your daughter a name spelled "Shevaughn", but insisting people pronounce it "Siob-han".

See, the joke is that Gaelic is pronounced differently from English. Ahahahaha! I crack me up.

On a more serious note, our daughter's name is Isabella, which turned out to be more common than we expected. But when we tell people that our front-runner for a boy's name is Bram, they tend to look at us funny...

My eldest was supposed to be "Brianna", but we met about 12 of those (under the age of two, even!) during the pregnancy, so we modified our choice, and named her for the town we were in when we first decided to get married.

Sure glad we didn't make that decision in Pocatello or Dundalk!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #70 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:48 PM
I can beat that!

Before I was born, my parents were living in the Scottish county of Ross and Cromarty, and my parents two picks for my name were "Ross" and "Cromarty". As they tell it (and I'm not sure how much to believe this), their next-door-neighbour had a dog named Cromarty, so I got to be called Ross!

To be honest, had things worked out differently, I think I'd have rather been named after the dog next door, than called Cromarty

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:56 PM
I can beat that!

Before I was born, my parents were living in the Scottish county of Ross and Cromarty, and my parents two picks for my name were "Ross" and "Cromarty". As they tell it (and I'm not sure how much to believe this), their next-door-neighbour had a dog named Cromarty, so I got to be called Ross!

To be honest, had things worked out differently, I think I'd have rather been named after the dog next door, than called Cromarty

"We called the dog 'Indiana'!" :)

You definitely lucked out on that deal, tho.  My wife claims to have gone to school with a girl called "Taco"... that's right: surname "Bell".

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:21 PM
One of my closest friends is named Bram. It's a good name.

Original Digga

• Extern
Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:39 AM
In my case, my username is derived from my stage name.  That's what I've used when performing / recording & I've used it on the internet since my 1st webmail account.

I can't think of a time when the username was reserved or unavailable either. 

Salutations

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 03:31:20 AM
In my case, my username is derived from my stage name.  That's what I've used when performing / recording & I've used it on the internet since my 1st webmail account.

I can't think of a time when the username was reserved or unavailable either. 

I can't wait to see the avatar that goes with it... I'm picturing a cross between Dig-Dug and Riley from Boondocks!

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #75 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:20 AM
This might be the one community where I don't need to explain where my username came from.

I use it pretty much everywhere online, though I'm apparently not the only wintermute out there (though I might be the only one who insists on lower case: There is only one Wintermute, and I am not It), so I sometimes need to add the numbers 23 or 115 to then end.

After reading this, I curiously looked up my own username. I am not a 35 year old biker. Or German. Apparently the direct translation of my whole username in German is "run for sale." Does anyone know what that is supposed to mean?
It actually took me a while to come up with. "Lief" is archaic and means ready or willing, and "feil" is Norwegian for "wrong", so it's "willing to be wrong". And it's a palindrome... I like languages.
And yes, I am of the generation that has their worldly achievements posted online, and so likes a little privacy in some areas. For a while, my photo was the first hit when my high school was Googled. No one could figure out why. It was sort of creepy.

...you've got three metric seconds.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #76 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:40 PM

Not really.

Drat.
Nice catch.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #77 on: July 01, 2008, 11:14:54 AM

After reading this, I curiously looked up my own username. I am not a 35 year old biker. Or German. Apparently the direct translation of my whole username in German is "run for sale." Does anyone know what that is supposed to mean?

It doesn't mean anything. It's just that the first part of your username (lief) means "ran" as in "he ran" (er lief) and the second part (feil) means "on sale", although "feil" isn't used very often in modern day German.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #78 on: July 02, 2008, 10:45:47 AM

It doesn't mean anything. It's just that the first part of your username (lief) means "ran" as in "he ran" (er lief) and the second part (feil) means "on sale", although "feil" isn't used very often in modern day German.

Try Dutch then! 'lief' = sweet, cute. 'feil' = shortcoming.  So, in Dutch you're a cute shortcoming. I don't know what your shortcoming is, but you do it in a very sweet way! That is, when you're in Teh Netherlandz!

Zathras

Reply #79 on: August 11, 2008, 01:34:33 AM
Zathras is an interesting character from the BEST SCI-FI SERIES OF ALL TIME.  It's also rarely taken.

GIGO

Russell Nash

Reply #80 on: August 11, 2008, 11:12:56 AM
Zathras is an interesting character from the BEST SCI-FI SERIES OF ALL TIME.  It's also rarely taken.

GIGO

We had a Zathras here before.  I think he changed his SN then dropped out of the forums.  He used a picture of the original Zathras.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 01:45:43 AM

GIGO

We had a Zathras here before.  I think he changed his SN then dropped out of the forums.  He used a picture of the original Zathras.

That was me!  I accidently deleted that account and then I came back only to have my profile deleted in the server crash of October / November of 2007.  So now I'm on my third incarnation.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #82 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:21 AM

That was me!  I accidently deleted that account and then I came back only to have my profile deleted in the server crash of October / November of 2007.  So now I'm on my third incarnation.

Wow, you're like Doctor Who!  You're up to Jon Pertwee.  ;D

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #83 on: September 11, 2008, 10:17:12 PM
I registered for this forum after my first story sale to Steve Eley.  It never occurred to me to use any other username other than my real one.  If I had, though, I would be "Hmm."  Those are my initials, but they also make me look contemplative when I sign my name that way.

Hmm

ieDaddy

• Palmer
    • Experiences of an Inland Empire Dad
Reply #84 on: September 11, 2008, 10:51:18 PM
My user name is a double meaning...

I keep a blog over at iedaddy.wordpress.com - Titled "Experiences of an Inland Empire Dad" - here's how I came up with the name...

http://iedaddy.wordpress.com/about/

Here's the brief version...

Why ieDaddy?

i.e.  An abbreviation for id est, a Latin phrase meaning “that is.” It indicates that an explanation or paraphrase is about to follow: “Many workers expect to put in a forty-hour week — i.e., to work eight hours a day.” (Compare e.g.)

dad·dy   (dād’ē)  Pronunciation Key
n.   pl. dad·dies Informal
A father.

I find that I am many things to my daughter.  Jungle gym, pillow, reader of bed time stories, brusher of teeth, and on occasion doctor.  At other times someone to go on walks with, to talk to about her day, or explain why the sky is blue.

But it also refers to how my daughter keeps calling my Tim (which is my name), which for her I guess is natural since she hears everyone else doing it. She’s three at the start of this blog, and so I would keep saying to her, “Honey, you are my daughter and that means you get to call by a special name, i.e. Daddy.”

So I am the IE Daddy

So it's a double meaning so to speak.

Zathras

Reply #85 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:50 AM

GIGO

Zathras!  Zathras missed Zathras, so did Zathras.  Zathras mad at Zathras, but not Zathras.